DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Congratulations!

Tat3 likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Family first then you rip and tear!

Tat3 likes this.
  3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    You want HeXen vibes, go try out Amid Evil ;)

I would love to see Quake 5, I loved Quake 4. Replayed it a few months ago with SikkMod and a few other mods installed and it was fun.

I have finished Doom Eternal now and it was excellent from start until the final boss.... I played on ultra violence difficulty and it was very tough in parts but the final boss is pretty damn easy. He has 2 fazes and in both there are TONS of sword pick ups, use those on the enemies that spawn in to get ammo and health then spam the boss. Do this for both fazes and you have it beat.

Apart from the final boss being a little too easy the entire game is without a doubt a MASTERPIECE!

I wanted to go back and replay Doom 2016 but I realised it doesn't have the dash mechanic.... this is such a game changer in Doom Eternal. The movement system is so good it makes the original seem slow in comparison.

CONGRATS DUDE! :D

4. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Another one,updated results.

Maybe a Petition is needed. :)
    From "Power to the People"
    to
    "More Ammo to the People"
    "Unleash the Full Ammo to the People".
    The game looks good.Looks like he have speed,charisma and graphics.
    Is more "optimized" because dont have trees&foliage,GodRays,in all their games the sky is not normal or natural,almost all actions are inside and interiors dont take too much power in compute,etc.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Btw, not that Mick's music is nothing short of great, but:

having Andrew Hulshult's remake of Going Down the Fast Way in the background while battling hordes of hell is purely cathartic!

I die even more often because I start headbanging mid battle :D

Turanis likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    He needs to look into older gpus and how they hold up. He even mentioned that in video before this one.

7. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    ^
    Yeah,in comments of his article there are some debates about some things and he need to re-test some video cards.
    But older cards are older,like pre Polaris or Pascal cards.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Tahiti and Hawaii vs Kepler and Maxwell is what i wanna see. How legendary 7970 holds up. The fine wine strikes again. :)

PieEyedPiper and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  9. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    ^ Neah,older are older,i dont miss that times.
    I wait patiently for RDNA2 & Ampere tech. :)

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Sure the game has less foliage and other stuff to render but its just the speed at which the game runs and more so feels. Remember everything in this game has way more polygons than the previous game, more enemies on screen (i played both games at the same difficulty and this one had more enemies for sure). More complex and larger level design, crazier weapon mods which add more effects and particles to the screen, more movement abilities from double jumping, dashing multiple times in any direction, wall climbing, new insane weapons like the sword, the flame belch shoulder cannon, more powerful grenades, and ice grenades which adds even more effects to the screen. New larger enemy types that have way more details and also use tons of particle and transparency effects.

All this yet the game runs just as good if not better/more stable.

Turanis likes this.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    I don't remember Doom 2016 having any foliage anywhere? If anything Eternal has more of it in Earth locations.

12. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    ^ Maybe you should stop comparing Doom Eternal to Doom 2016, because both games lack many modern rendering features I mentioned a few a times. And focus on comparing it to games like RDR2, Div2, HZD or Control, which has the best lighting model so far. Doom is a simple corridor shooter with combat in closed space arenas. This itself allows for very strong optimizations, which are not possible in openworld games and yet all they can deliver is very cheap Directional SSAO and low quality SSR coupled with static shadowing, baked lightmaps and baked GI. Both of them (SSOA and SSR) on Ultra Nightmare look like low/medium settings in mentioned games. Both are very low sample count versions and no distance blurring on SSR etc. It's also funny how gamers can be so easily fooled. Just give them Ultra detail settings with 100+ FPS and they are happy! Doesn't matter the Ultra settings are not even close to what other AAA games can deliver, especially on PC :)

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    I wasn't comparing it to Doom 2016 in terms of foliage as that game took place on mars, space stations, and hell. I was saying it contains less foliage than other games that use those effects more often. But it you take that away from Doom Eternal it still has way more detailed objects than Doom 2016 whilst running just as fast if not faster thanks to the increased movement.

Saying that I would love to see modders or devs somehow put in the dash mechanic to Doom 2016. Going back and playing that now after Eternal is just not going to feel the same.

AsiJu likes this.
  14. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    the game def does not like windowed mode,in windowed you get stutters even though it says 60fps,put it in full screen and its smooth as butter

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Why would we compare this type of game to a fully fledged open world game? That is just silly.

Comparing it to a similar game (such as Doom 2016) is a much fairer comparison.

The devs aimed for high resolutions, at high frame rates. Of course corners are going to be cut, after all they have to get this running at, or close to, those intended speeds on a console with much lower specs than the average gaming PC.

That is like comparing HZD to a Mario game, two totally different games, with different aims and goals the devs were trying to achieve.

Saying this game looks bad is also just silly, they have achieved the highest quality they can with the money, time and talent they had at the time whilst also achieving their goal of having it run at 2x if not 3x the frame rate of other games whilst having the game being fun as hell to play.

No one is "fooled" as you say, as we are not dumb enough to compare this to a game like RDR2 which wasn't meant to be played at 100+fps.

16. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Finished it yesterday and had tons of fun, final boss was pretty lame though.

It's a giant demon that's gonna destroy the world, I'm wondering how I'm going to fight it and it turns out it just stands there and I shoot at it from a rooftop. They already showed it can destroy buildings so why can't it demolish the entire thing I'm standing on with a backhand. I'm remembering the first boss from painkiller that's also fukken huge, so much cooler and less video-gamey.
    They could've had you jumping from building to building as it destroys them, running between its feet trying not to get stomped, maybe crazy jump pads from the street up to the rooftops and over its head, hell just give you a jetpack or something. Feels like a missed opportunity to give an amazing ending to a great game

Couple other things I think would make it more fun and streamlined:

-more ammo, maybe like 25-40% at max level
    -Instead of the sword being a separate item/button, just have it replace the chainsaw and be a bit faster and/or have a cooldown instead of needing pickups
    -Get rid of the flamethrower, make grenades give armor
    -faster base move speed

By the last third of Doom2016 you're crazy OP and it's great, I feel they over-corrected with this one forcing you to play it their way with all this constant resource/ability management. I like that it's more difficult and frantic but I wish they would chill a little on that stuff and let you enjoy the power fantasy more.

AsiJu likes this.
  17. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    I'm comparing Doom to OW games, because OW games are much harder to optimize and yet they manage to deliver much more rendering features, including dynamic shadowing, day/night cycle and semi-dynamic GI, etc....

If the Devs aim for high resolutions, why is there no supersampling? Yes, both D2016 and DE don't even have supersampling. Forced TAA without in-game supersampling in 2020...

Doom, while John Carmack was at the helm of ID, has always been known for delivering top of the class rendering features and innovative approaches to rendering. This is obviously not the case anymore.

What is the point of 3x the framerate, if most monitors and TVs are capped at 60Hz? Some people don't even care about 100FPS or more.

18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Gotcha.

Yeah the game looks, runs and plays great and that's what matters.

I don't give an imp's chainsawed ass what tech the game has or hasn't, it works.

You could also spin this around and ask why other devs then need all the fancy-pancy stuff to make their games look as good yet run at half the framerate.

Tiego Sousa has clearly put some black magic into iDTech 7.
    Or perhaps Argent energy!

It's a bit sad that games are judged let alone dismissed by their tech.
    Gameplay is what matters, moreso in a shooter, and a good looking shooter is a bonus.

@haste
    I respect you but I hope you don't dismiss games by their tech or trailers alone.

You've said this game isn't for you and that's fine but no need to bash the game for what the engine may be missing.

As for who cares about 100+ fps, well, I dare say a big part of PC gamers especially if talking about shooters.
    Me included.

Btw I'd really love to see the RT implementation happen.
    Not least because you could still get high framerates with capable hardware probably as the game as is runs great.

CPC_RedDawn and angelgraves13 like this.
  19. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Indeed! My old 7950 wiping the floor with Titans!

This game runs extremely well on old hardware from my experiences. Socket 771/775 Xeon (c2q architecture) still plows through with the 7950. The 3GB framebuffer is a gripe but so long as texture pool is on low, everything else but for shadows can be maxed.
    I really wish this game had a built in benchmark. Does anyone know of a specifically cpu intensive area? I recall the first game had a really rough area full of lava.

Undying likes this.
  20. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    It's impossible to base judgements on trailers, because you need at least camera movement and a few tools to identify certain rendering features. So.. yes I buy almost all games, even those that I know I will hate, just to see the tech for example.

I agree that full RT (including GI and shadowing) would help this game a lot... maybe there will be some update when RDNA2 and RTX3000 GPUs hit the market.