DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Yeah I won't lie, the game does take some liberties with difficulty. I just finished beating my first Marauder, the axe wielding demon. He hits like a freight train, but once you understand his attack routines and what you need to do, he's not that hard to beat. However, there are other weaker demons that are simultaneously harassing you which can be a pain in the ass because not only do you have to watch out for the Marauder's powerful attacks, but the other demons as well.

If anyone wants tips on how to take him out, let me know. That said, I have no frigging clue how anyone could play this game on harder difficulties with a controller. The M&K offers so much more speed and precision. Playing this game with a controller would make it twice as difficult!

ShadowDuke likes this.
  2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Remember the chainsaw automatically refills to one bar. That's why you can't really run out of ammo. The gas cans are only to supplement the usage of the chainsaw and allow you to use it on stronger demons, but you don't need gas cans to use it.

I didn't realize this until my second mission when I saw the gas can icon automatically refilling in the bottom right hand screen even though I didn't put any gas in it :eek:

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Which is, oddly, exactly what happened!!!

I still stand by my comments that the platforming feels out of place but I’m willing to forgive it because the game otherwise just so damn good to play.

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I am aware that it refills, however I've been in situations where there are no smaller demons to use it on.. only larger ones that require 3
    and then have a horrible long animation that leaves you vulnerable when you attempt to take a larger demon out.

I find then I have to run around spamming grenade as I have no more ammo at all. The balance imo is a bit off as I find I run out of ammo a lot, even though I'm doing damage to enemies.. some of them take a LOT to take down, which makes some weapons feel a bit week (looking at the machine gun)

Anyway, maybe I just need to get better and level my dude up more before I complain too much

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Um so did Doom Eternal just kill my GPU? I've been rocking a new 2070Super from Giagbyte, one of their Windforce numbers. Anyway as anyone who saw my last post may have noticed I was assuming that this game wasn't stretching my card very hard as the fans hadn't started spinning. I finished another session around an hour ago quit back to Windows and noticed sat at a black screen for an awfully long time. When I finally got back to Windows I jumped on to Youtube and noticed awful mouse hitching, ran a Youtube video and again horrendous system hitching including audio hitching (audio is being provided by the card.)

I did a few program tests, opening and closing all of them had horrendous hitching, I did a reboot and this time round noticed that the GPU fans came on and stayed on. Very strange since getting in to windows the fans would normally stop. I tried opening Hwinfo and going to the GPU sensor logos to find nothing but errors and hitching being thrown at me, finally resulting in a full system lock up.

I tried to install my old 980GTX to find my system refused to boot, just shutting down. I must have made a mistake when I stuck the old air cooler back on. No idea what, fan spun, light came on but yeah no dice. So right here and right now I am running a 6 maybe 7 year old 560ti, ironically a Gigabyte Windforce model as well.

So far everything is running as it should. No hitching videos work no sound issues so yeah kinda looks like my month old GPU has just died on me. Not really pissed to be honest just really dis-appointed and of course it couldn't have come at the worst possible time.

So yeah looks like no more Doom Eternal for me just now. At least not until I get this card replaced. Luckily the card does let me still play Oxygen Not Included and Rimworld.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    try the card in the second slot

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Keep in mind, Hurt Me Plenty in Doom Eternal is actually pretty much on par with Ultra Violence in DOOM 2016.

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, lighting, model detail... particles, textures... everything is improved massively over DOOM 2016.

9. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    OK bro... could you please explain to me, what exactly is false? Because you sound like you didn't even read it nor understood.

10. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    Because they simply have to sell it for consoles and this game was never meant to be for consoles...enough said

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    I've started getting a strong God of War vibe from some areas.
    Puzzle design, artwork, platforming. Meaning older GoW games, not the newest.

And yes brutal combat as well, I couldn't get past the prologue in GoW 3 at hard difficulty.
    There's still a DualShock 3 shaped dent in one of the doors....

12. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    I'm starting to get the hang of it, I think... handled a big mob on the edge of my seat and only ate one of my extra lives.

I watched that one demo where one of the devs took that guy out on the hardest mode... serious chops.

Did not know this! Will be super handy, thanks. I imagine it only works on the local cannon fodder, but still: I'll take it.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    3rd mission started giving me trouble as well and I dropped to Hurt Me Plenty. Which still gave me trouble, not that it's a bad thing in itself.

In fact I switched difficulty in the fight Whiplash is introduced - after failing that bit 5 times and having trouble earlier - but think I died even faster on HMP on first try. The combination of Whiplash and shield guys was somehow a huge difficulty spike.

To be clear it's not that these difficult encounters would be insurmountable but neither do I want to "grind" every combat scenario multiple times.
    Running to a halt every now and then is fine.

3rd mission overall seems to throw a lot harder encounters at you but your arsenal is still limited. Well you do get the rocket launcher and SSG during the mission which do help.

Btw lock-on from rocket launcher will kill a Whiplash so I recommend purchasing and upgrading that mod quickly.

The SSG is powerful but consumes shells fast and IMO the cooldown for meathook is WAY too long even when upgraded.
    It needn't be more than a second or two from "detaching" so you can't spam it all the time. However now you need to really wait for it to reactivate.

In general weapon mod cooldowns are a bit too long compared to how fast paced the gameplay is.
    Sure switch but given some weapons and mods are the "right tool", swapping away often means using sub-optimal weapons at each situation.

All in all what I would change:

- remove cooldowns from weapon mods completely ("reload" based are fine, as in loading more rounds to chamber in between shots)
    - to use SSG meathook as example again, the delay between fires would be so you can't spam it but can say fluently chain meathook - > shoot SSG - > reload SSG - > meathook - >...

- remove cooldowns from equipment as well and:
    - grenades would have "ammo" just as weapons, a few of each. They can still be rare so you can't spam them but as it stands the cooldown is so long you forget it's there!

- flame belch would share fuel with chainsaw. One unit of fuel would allow say 2 ... 3 seconds of fire (there could be a slight delay after consuming one unit of fuel)
    - the current quick belch, combined with cooldown, makes the belch less useful than it could be
    - this would also create a balance mechanic between chainsaw and belch, do you want ammo or armor
    - it would also make sense as fuel is combustible :)
    - as a result max. could be increased to 4 units of fuel

- add the siphon grenade back from Doom 2016. Seriously why was it removed?
    - would fit this game perfectly I think, you could throw a siphon to a mob and heal while fighting tougher enemies
    - could also work in combo with flame belch = siphon both health and armor?
    - > alternative to glory kills for gaining health - > keep combat flowing better
    - all grenade types would be available after the intro mission

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  14. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    Hurt me plenty is really challenging, and i thought it's just going to be a simple walk in a park...

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Oh just remembered that Doom Eternal also, contrary to what is said, has strong horror elements actually.

The first time one of those tentacles jumped up from under that purple slime almost gave me a heart attack!

Best jumpscare I've had in ages! :D

16. dan gegner

dan gegner New Member

GPU:
    rtx2080ti
    Anyone know how to skip the intro movies while using the Bethesda launcher?

17. xinelo

xinelo Member

GPU:
    Gibabyte 2080Ti WF3
    HDR is awesome on this game, a big difference.
    I'm waiting the HDR bug related to minimap to be fixed to resume playing.

C'mon Bethesda!

18. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
  19. Pretty excited to try this out; just waiting on the install to finish... :)

That is so sick!!

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    that pistol looks like a remnant of Quake.