DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks for the reply.

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Played for a couple hours last night and did first two missions on Ultraviolence as well as one of the empyreal(sp?) Challenges.. which was crazy

Ultrawide, 1080ti OC settings all at Ultra Nightmare, pinned at 100hz. That's what I called optimized.

Some of the textures in game are hilariously bad but I get that they're trying to go for a more Arcady feel this go around, it's obvious.

Controls are great, difficulty is ramped up (good thing imo, you should be dying in this game), levels are dynamic and with great scale, sounds is awesome.. for a shooter it has a lot of built in systems and a degree of customization I wouldn't expect from a Doom game.

Overall I like it so far.. I can see why it costs what it does, seems a lot of effort went into it.

3. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW U
    Well the team were saying eternal craps all over Doom 2016 which I agree with and I like that game too. I feel there generally going to be surprised that there is a fraction of players not liking what they came up with.

Still going by the ratio on Steam it's like 88% positive and 12% negative so it's a small number really but the way some trash it in the steam forums is surprising. Anyone sane can see id put a ton of love into this game. At the end of the day changing things up you will always upset some but I feel some of the backlash the players haven't given it a chance, it doesn't really pick up until the third mission.

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The team at ID should be professional enough to realize they can't appease all who buy the game. If it doesn't pick up until the third mission either, I totally see that as a valid complaint towards the game. I've always had a hard time spending "boring" hours for a game to become good/fun.

I personally disliked the encouragement of glory kills and arena setup in Doom 2016, so I'm not getting this until it's cheap. I'm not at all surprised that there are people complaining, even if they liked Doom 2016. While I don't take reviews as a rule, there are some reviews who have shared my feelings, saying it's distracting to constantly seek out weak enemies to replenish the ammo while in an intense firefight.

5. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW U
    Fair enough, I'll be clear though when I said 3rd mission I meant as in you get more gear and upgrades so you get a better feel for the game going forward.

Personally I enjoyed the first missions, especially level and art design.

I'd also say that regardless of how people feel about Doom Eternal, it's much better than most FPS games released in recent years but again that's my personal preference.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    This is a fantastic and frantic first-person shooter and looks, runs and sounds glorious but, why, why, why-oh-why, did they have to put platforming sections in this?!?!? They feel completely out of place and some of them are frustrating beyond belief, requiring pixel perfect timing, something that is not easy in first person. Miss or die during traversal and you have to repeat them all over again ad nauseum. There's one section I am on which I cannot complete because my timing is off slightly on the double-jump, swing, collect dash boost, double-dash technique. As such, I am unable to progress in the game, a game that is about SHOOTING hellspawn and not this platforming crap!!!

Sorry but I am just so annoyed right now after struggling for 30 minutes to advance beyond where I reached earlier on this afternoon. Looks like I am going to have to resort to some sort of trainer or cheat to bypass this, which I really don't want to use.

Now I know why the game has been getting lots of 8s out of 10 rather than solid 9+ scores.

7. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    You'll walk away from the game, play a few hours latter and get through it on first try.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  8. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Because this is exactly what people loved in Doom 2016. That game was praised by everyone on Earth, and their dogs, too. Even the divine in person came down and gave a thumbs up to the devs. I've been saying this since that game came out, platforming to such an extent, or any extent has no place in Doom. But people loved it in the first, so they added it back and then some more in this one. Enjoy what you asked for. More jumping, more grabbing on ledges, more holding onto walls, double jumping, air dashing and even more glory kills and incentives to use it. It is EXACTLY what people who would have married Doom 2016 if they could have told everyone at the time and kept on telling up to the release of Eternal.

If you bought Eternal after all the multiple gameplay previews and early reviews that came out during the course of development of this game especially since the past year you SHOULD have known what to expect. If you stayed away from media to avoid spoilers you should STILL have expected that they would have done more of the same this time since the previous one was apparently a global phenomenon the likes of which can only be compared to Jesus' second coming.

9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Regarding the gear and upgrades, I've seen some complaints about them as well. Some seem to have liked the previous game because it was "simple", and they find the new customizations getting in the way of their game.
    Some have described their complaints about Eternal being that they simply added too much for its own good.

10. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW U
    I'm not going to defend the game but just because the early games were simplistic and to an extent a shooting gallery, isn't the developer not allowed to evolve there IP. Majority of players today expect a lot more than simple which is why the minority are the ones that are shouting ( going by the steam review ratio).

At first glance the upgrade system seemed complex but it's actually more streamlined than it was in 2016, just the menus being busy with text makes it appear it's more complex than it actually is.

At the end of the day it seems the game is going to get flak for one feature or another that they introduced or expanded on. When you got millions of dollars thrown at the game the dev have to do a bit more than create a retro experience with better graphics.

Games like Dusk and Iron Fury can get away with simple mechanics as they know who there audience is and they know they can break even on the budget they work with.

I recommend people try it and give it a chance, it will either click or not. It's no good listening to feedback or watching YouTube, you need to play it for yourself.

I'll say no more lol

11. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW U
    Only thing I will say regarding platforming is the originals did have there fair share too, flicking switches to run to a lift, running along UAC boxes with gabs in between. Also avoiding hazards like slime or lava, slim walkways.

AsiJu and The Phoenix like this.
  12. OpenSystem

OpenSystem Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Doom Eternal sequel announced?

Super Doom Raider World: Bowser's Castle

[​IMG]

But seriously I was imagining this new doom formula as a 2D platformer shooter.

KissSh0t likes this.
  13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    A friend was telling me how he rage quit because of the mario platforming being so frustrating.. so your comment is especially funny.

OpenSystem likes this.
  14. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    The game is visually underwhelming, dated lighting model with all static precomputed lighting, precomputed low resolution spotlight shadows and even artstyle doesn't fit.... it's way too cartoonish. Texture resolution is lower than it was in Doom 2016 and there doesn't seem to be any POM or tessellation on environment. Every advanced render technique was cut out to prefer performance... It's a real shame when AAA linear game with corridor environments doesn't come even close to games like RDR2, Division2 or HZD. Lousy job Bethesda/id, shame on you.

And I'll rather not comment on gameplay, because as I stated earlier, I already knew this game is not for me.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    -Tj- likes this.
  15. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    I am getting hammered in this game... need some breathing room during intense combat (not to stop and rest so much as not get hit for a few seconds so I can shift back from flight to fight). I need to get the maps memorized a bit so I can comfortably run around them. If I get stuck on a piece of geometry or wind up running into a corner, I'm basically dead.

For the jumping puzzles, I've been spending extra time in those rooms, practicing the timing of them. The catch range for the horizontal poles is a little nerve racking because it's farther away than I imagine my arms would be from my point of view given how long my arms are when holding a weapon. I mean, I'm glad they made it a little bigger of a target, but it regularly makes me burn an extra jump thinking I'm going to miss, which I am then missing for a subsequent part of the puzzle. That's just me needing to get this down pat, but that's where I'm at.

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Haste, I respect your opinion, but you're wrong on this one buddy. This game is a serious advancement on its predecessor on all fronts, and one of the best looking high performance games we can get our grubby little paws on.

The game uses global illumination, tons of dynamic lights and shadows, and has an enormous boost in texture clarity and detail compared to Doom 2016.

Id Tech 7 enhancements

As for POM or tessellation, you're correct on that, but to be honest the game doesn't need it as all of the models and meshes have so many polygons; something on the order of up to 10x the amount as in Doom 2016.

The guy that does game tech review for Digital Foundry says it may be the best looking game of all time at 60 FPS. The footage in this video is from the consoles so it doesn't look as nice as the PC version, but it still gets the point across.

The ACG review has some footage that is a better example of what you see on a nice PC setup:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    angelgraves13 and Archvile82 like this.
  17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    What difficulty are you playing on? I am playing on ultra violence and even though I played Doom 2016 about 3 times from start to finish, I have died plenty of times so far in Doom Eternal. The game can be absolutely brutal and unforgiving of mistakes, plus there are some scenarios when the game will put you against so many demons (and some powerful ones at that) that you will wonder how you're supposed to get through them all.

But with practice, you get better and as your skill level increases, the Doom Slayer's gear and combat abilities also becomes more powerful. I just finished the Cultist base level (level was HUGE), and despite the game being much more difficult compared to the beginning, I am actually dying less often because I am a much better player than I was when I started.

Yeah, there is some insane platforming in this game, but honestly, I love it! It's a big detraction from the frenetic pace of the combat, but it is still very challenging.

Archvile82 likes this.
  18. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Hurt Me Plenty in Doom Eternal is closer to Ultra Violence in DOOM 2016.
    Ultra Violence in Eternal... is much harder to 2016's UV.

The game really demands that you learn it's mechanics, and use them efficiently. Trying to play Eternal like you played 2016 will get you killed, a lot.

19. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Don't believe these paid DF hypers. In a lot of cases, they just say what they are paid to say. And this video is great example. All tech mentioned in this video is normal stuff for every modern engine and talking about some pretty editor features doesn't make their render-path any better. They even praise the dated forward rendering pipeline as something great :) We use forward rendering only as a fallback for mobile devices. There are no physical based materials, only static precomputed shadowing, very cheap lighting model, dynamic lights without dynamic shadows and those object that actually cast dynamic shadows have their shadows rendered with slower update time (30 or even 15FPS it's even visible in the DF video). Too many compromises were made for my taste. I'm not saying their engine doesn't support deferred rendering, PBM, POM etc.. but at least in this game, these features are missing.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Off the top of my head I remember Quake 4 having some cool dynamic shadows... or maybe I'm mistaken.. it's been so long since I've played it.

You would think this game would have cool dynamic shadows, I mean it is 2020.