DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I'm surprised that my comment is meeting such resistance. Notice I never said the game won't run well or be performant. I was responding directly to angelgraves13's assertion that the game would run as fast as Wolfenstein 2, which given the footage of Doom Eternal shown thus far, is highly unlikely.

The polygon count (and texture fidelity) in Doom Eternal has increased tremendously from the games that ran on IdTech 6/6.5. It's not even close. Id wasn't joking when they said IdTech 7 could display 10x the geometry of IdTech 6 and it definitely seems they are taking advantage of that benefit. Plus more polygons means more shader processing as well if I'm not mistaken.

Couple that with much bigger and more open levels, will certainly impact frame rates. Oh, and I'm pretty sure Doom Eternal will have some form of ray tracing which will further be a drag on the frame rate for those that want to enable it.

My guess is if a 2080Ti can average 120 fps in Wolfenstein 2 at 4K max settings, it will drop to around 80-90 fps in Doom Eternal without ray tracing.

XenthorX likes this.
  2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Carfax likes this.
  3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    They've said they will do Ray Tracing for Doom Eternal, but not at release. It will come after, as they want to make the game itself the best they came.

emperorsfist and cerebus23 like this.
  4. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I think we can agree that that's the correct set of priorities. ;)

Hyderz likes this.

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Definitely.
    It's similar to how they handled DOOM 2016, get the game done and out, then they put time into working on Vulkan.

emperorsfist likes this.
  6. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Although the release of DOOM 2016's MP early beta of didn't do them many favours back then...

7. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070GTX
    i liked the latest DOOM very much. it was really good.

i think they are doing a very good job in making the game.. simply solid all around.
    delaying it was a surprise for me.. always thought their games are always polished and fresh.

8. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Bethesda is gonna screw this game up. They'll likely force id Software to add microtransactions to this game. Remember those 1UP pickups? they'll probably be $5 a pop.

This'll be the last Bethesda game I pre-order. They've ruined their name and image in less than a single year lol

9. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    And yet, you are pre-ordering...That will teach them!

Undying, Duke Nil and big ROBOT bill like this.
  10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix

It's only 30 seconds.

Archvile82 and Undying like this.

11. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Some lovely centered weapon gameplay here. Juicy.

cerebus23, Turanis and Undying like this.
  12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I'm not a fan of centered weapons in the new games.
    Not sure why, I love Doom 1 and 2, and Doom 64. But, when trying centered weapons in DOOM 2016... it felt wrong.

Archvile82, Witcher29 and Undying like this.
  13. michael_d

michael_d Member Guru

GPU:
    FE RTX 2080 Ti
    Wish they would make a true sequel to Doom 3 with its sound and level design. I was disappointed by Doom 2016 due to its "arena shooter" game play.

cerebus23 and Shataan like this.
  14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    The "true sequel" to Doom 3 is what turned into DOOM 2016 due to negative internal reactions to the game.

While I love Doom 3, it was not widely loved by Doom fans. As it is the biggest departure from the core design in the series.
    And given the massive success of DOOM 2016, I don't see them dropping that to try and recapture a design style for Doom that only some loved.

15. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I don't think they'll change anything in Eternal, but I really think DOOM 2016 got too much credit. IMO, it relied way too much on the locked down arena combat setups and the encouragement of the scripted melee kills.

I wouldn't mind another DOOM 3 either, or a DOOM that truly follows DOOM 2.

16. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    DOOM III was my absolute fav as well. Sad that we cannot get any real sequel due to corksniffing Fan-Boi-isms. They got their DOOM 2016. Now they got Eternal. I think a real sequel to DOOM III is fair..... and not too much to ask for.

17. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    jump scares made doom 3, jump scares are lazy and old.

so we want a scary doom but not too jump scare reliant ok how?

disarm the player, alien isolation and most horror games disarm or limit the ammo of the player to make combat an absolute last resort thing.

but that would not work in doom.

and its an action game kinda hard to build up tension or suspense over the action vibe. really good writing you can but is doom about deep story telling or killing demons? and deep story telling takes talent and a ton of game design changes, two things ID not specialized in at all.

they make big dumb action games, and middling horror/gothic games. with some wizzards in the coding depts and level design areas.

ill have to give doom 3 another try i got the disks, but all i recall is jump scares and dark corridors. did 2016 action it up? yep. it was fun.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    What are you talking about it's totally natural.

[​IMG]

geronimo666 and Undying like this.
  19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I noticed that the Game Awards trailer said Xbox One X at the end, and not Xbox One. Makes me wonder whether the game will release on the base model o_O

The base model Xbox One may not be powerful enough to run the game at the target 60 FPS.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It will release on all models, the Xbox One certification policies require a game must function across the entire Xbox one range.