DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I'm surprised that my comment is meeting such resistance. Notice I never said the game won't run well or be performant. I was responding directly to angelgraves13's assertion that the game would run as fast as Wolfenstein 2, which given the footage of Doom Eternal shown thus far, is highly unlikely.

The polygon count (and texture fidelity) in Doom Eternal has increased tremendously from the games that ran on IdTech 6/6.5. It's not even close. Id wasn't joking when they said IdTech 7 could display 10x the geometry of IdTech 6 and it definitely seems they are taking advantage of that benefit. Plus more polygons means more shader processing as well if I'm not mistaken.

Couple that with much bigger and more open levels, will certainly impact frame rates. Oh, and I'm pretty sure Doom Eternal will have some form of ray tracing which will further be a drag on the frame rate for those that want to enable it.

My guess is if a 2080Ti can average 120 fps in Wolfenstein 2 at 4K max settings, it will drop to around 80-90 fps in Doom Eternal without ray tracing.

XenthorX likes this.
  2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    Carfax likes this.
  3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    They've said they will do Ray Tracing for Doom Eternal, but not at release. It will come after, as they want to make the game itself the best they came.

emperorsfist and cerebus23 like this.
  4. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I think we can agree that that's the correct set of priorities. ;)

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Definitely.
    It's similar to how they handled DOOM 2016, get the game done and out, then they put time into working on Vulkan.

emperorsfist likes this.
  6. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Although the release of DOOM 2016's MP early beta of didn't do them many favours back then...

7. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970 SC
    i liked the latest DOOM very much. it was really good.

i think they are doing a very good job in making the game.. simply solid all around.
    delaying it was a surprise for me.. always thought their games are always polished and fresh.

8. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Bethesda is gonna screw this game up. They'll likely force id Software to add microtransactions to this game. Remember those 1UP pickups? they'll probably be $5 a pop.

This'll be the last Bethesda game I pre-order. They've ruined their name and image in less than a single year lol

9. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    And yet, you are pre-ordering...That will teach them!

big ROBOT bill likes this.