Doom Eternal may not have Ray-Tracing at launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well, that list is DLSS/RTX but Nvidia still put those games on a list and basically said "buy our card and you'll get these features" and for some games (arguably most) it will never happen, for others it happened a year after the card was purchased.

I personally don't play any of those games on that list, in fact aside from trying BF5 out during Beta and Dauntless for like 15 minutes, I can't think of a single RTX enabled game I played. Regardless I definitely will take a stand against companies selling promises of features and not delivering - it's a crap practice and it needs to stop. There is no way Nvidia's engineers didn't know that these games would take years to get DLSS/RTX support and/or never get them. In the case of Atomic Heart the entire studio seems to have gone bankrupt and almost everyone was laid off and it's still listed on their site as a game with RTX.

Maybe but it's left to be seen. With say the 5600XT/2060 - if I had a choice I'd definitely pick the 2060, even with the $20 premium because yeah.. I'll at least get the option of enabling those features with next gen games but there are caveats. Most RT implementations chew up a ton of memory and at least in XBX1X's case it has 12GB of GDDR6 - I'm not sure how a 2060 with 6 will fare - but it's still nice knowing that I can at least attempt the feature. For the rest of the line up though it's definitely a nice value-add to have although I'm sure AMDs and Ampere will have better implementations.

I think the technology is awesome and I think it has a place and some value I just don't really care for the way Nvidia is advertising it at all. It's just all promises and few are being kept. By the time most of these games they are now advertising will launch a whole new generation of RTX cards will launch. Reminds me of Tesla will self-driving - they've been promising full self driving on Tesla's for like 8 years now. People are replacing their Tesla's and paid for a feature that never came.

fantaskarsef, Mesab67 and Fox2232 like this.
  2. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    Well, if Nvidia is a marketing oriented enterprise (banks became too), then you must not trust them ever... because if someone always tries to sell you expensive promises that never realize, then you must better stop trusting him, especially if we are talking about something material that can be easilly replaced by something similar... it's an easy advice, never mind ;)

3. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga RTX2070XCUltra
    I'd rather have physics than ray-tracing. Games aren't lacking graphically as much as physical interaction. Running through a place and bump into chair and it stops me dead in my tracks while chair doesn't flinch, like wtf.

4. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Nobody is going to not buy a game because it does not support ray tracing. The entire RTX thing was simply a way for Nvidia to increase margins almost 2x from the prior generations, at least for the 2xxx generation. All of us saw through it and many of us didn't buy into this generation. I'm sure come the 3xxx generation from Nvidia and time for developers ray tracing will be great but for now who cares.

5. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    I'm rather interested in the new performance stuff RTX series brought that's been barely used so far: texture-space and mesh shading, and variable refresh rate tier 2. All of these can provide a noticeable performance boost with near-unidentifiable quality loss (when properly implemented) but devs don't care because the competition doesn't use it yet (although AMD promised VRS for Vega) and current consoles don't either.
    I'd prefer DOOM launch with these and leave RT for later; a FPS needs the high framerate, not cluttered eye candy.

6. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    I wonder if it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that this game uses the ID Tech 7 engine and that is a Vulkan only engine. Now that I'm thinking of it, I haven't seen an implementation of Vulkan and Ray tracing in one. I might be wrong about that.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Wolf Youngblood uses a Vulkan implementation of Raytracing (Nvidia's VKray). And go figure it's also the best implemented example in terms of both quality and performance.

fantaskarsef and Undying like this.
  8. Mesab67

Mesab67 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Interesting to see what developers, still, really think about implementing Nvidia's RT take, particularly since they know only too well that the mass market 'cheaper' RTX models are severely crippled in their ability to provide a meaningful RT experience. And, the cripplingly expensive high end 2080Ti model sold...poorly.
    No wonder developer uptake is problematic. Nvidia should have taken that price hit with RTX rather than the greed route. Not doing this shows that their implementation is most certainly not "RT for the masses".

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    [​IMG]

Wait...someone has issues with Vulkan and RTGI/RTL/RTX/OpenGL/Nvidia/AMD/RT/Sony/Ice cream cones?

S'not anything that surprises me - it's an utter nightmare to make it work...

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm sorry you have the mentality that you do, however, be aware, you are not the only one who is allowed to have an opinion, and your opinion doesnt speak for everyone. Not even remotely.

11. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    They probably tried it and saw their game go from 130fps to 40 and decided it was just a bad experience. I think a lot of players would be let down by the crappy performance that ray tracing guarantees. We need hardware that's like 5x more powerful to do this right.

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I don't think the "No one cares" 20th century fox meme was meant to be speaking for you. Why you took this so personally is beyond me.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oh, so you mean i am no one? Or am i not no one?

Though not sure why you think i took anything personally. Anytime anyone makes some blanket statement like "no one cares" or "who cares" as if their opinion is the only one that matters or exists, they have a mentality problem.

"I don't care, i just want to play the game!" Now that is someone without an issue. And is completely valid, its their opinion, and they arent trying to slreak for everyone else.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    adding RTX on games today is meant to be used with graphics cards tomorrow.

ignorant consumers who think just because they can turn up settings means they should :cool:

Mesab67, Undying and warlord like this.
  15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It doesn't mean anything. Not to be taken literal. It's silly. A joke. Things people say followed by ha ha.

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    lol what?

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    It means games that have raytracing today will have replayability with the graphics cards that will actually be capable showing the effect, "tommorow".

Im sure i would like to replay Control at 4k/60 and raytracing at high one day.

moo100times, Mesab67 and warlord like this.
  18. Alienwarez567

Alienwarez567 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
    Its really to bad that these games dont ship with all the trimmings from day one, i dont care to much for RT i never turn it on the framerate drop is just to high for my taste, but a game like doom will for the most people be a 1 playthrough and then they wont play it again missing out on RT.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Bingo,

Like the Bump mapping, Caustics, Dynamic Shadows, Bloom, HDR, Tesselation in the past. Just because a game has a feature - doesn't mean tech of the day can use it well, if at all.

warlord and Undying like this.
  20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I could replay Baldur's Gate games in 10 years as new class with different play style than I did when those games came out. Or any other time I played it again.

But I am not going to play again corridor game where you practically hold "W" key to progress fixed story... just to have it in new visuals.