DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean8102

sean8102 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I tried checking my OpenGL support on my 390X with OpenGL Extensions viewer. Its a little confusing, it looks like it fully supports OGL 4.5 but at the top it says OpenGL version 4.4. Could someone with a Maxwell GPU run this program and post a shot of what you get? When the app opens click "see details" next to your openGL version so see the screen below.

[​IMG]

The OpenGL extensions viewer program

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.php

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    By me it says this

[​IMG]

Apparently its using 4.4 language, but has all extra 4.5 parts there and all ARB2015..

Aida64 shows as 4.5
    [​IMG]

3. sean8102

sean8102 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Thanks for the info. That's interesting. I'm starting to think that GL extensions viewer isn't reporting correctly because it says your card dose not support shading language 4.5 but AIDA shows it fully supports GL 4.5.

AIDA shows my 390X as fully supporting 4.5 as well, so I'm not sure why Doom is using 4.3 on my card but oh well. Curious to see how Vulkan performs when its patched in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well, got home from work and put about three hours into it.
    Firstly, at Ultra settings... game runs amazingly smooth. V-sync set to Adaptive and I've got a rock solid 60fps constantly. No dip, hitches or stutters of any kind.

Secondly, the game looks gorgeous. Really amazing visually.
    And, gameplay... I love it. Fast, brutal, varied and engaging level design. Bright and colorful. Tons of secrets. Keycards.
    I'm loving this game.

5. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Same thing happened in Rage (was never fixed) and it was some issue with idtech5 and XFi cards if memory serves.

6. plywood99

plywood99 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid Cool
    Had my first CTD. Happened right when Windows 10 email notification popped so it may have something to do with that.

7. sean8102

sean8102 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    For the most part the game runs fantastic on my PC. I have all but one of the graphics options on the highest setting including nightmare setting for the virtual textures. It uses about 4GB of VRAM on average at 1080p. The only thing that causes me performance problems is shadow quality, I've had to drop that down to high to avoid any drops below 60FPS. No issues or crashes so far after 6 hours playtime. Hopefully the Vulkan patch arrives in the next week or two.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Found a post that apparently the beta version of the game actually used OpenGL 4.5 on AMD GPU's so it's odd that it's been changed in the full version of the game, Vulkan should fix it but it could be anything from a week to a month (or longer.) until they release that update.

9. plywood99

plywood99 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid Cool
    "Olivia overclocked the Argent Tower, using it to drill a hole into the Hellscape."

LOOOOOLS, I love it! :p

10. plywood99

plywood99 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid Cool
    Please elaborate.

11. sean8102

sean8102 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Yeah I saw some people saying that about the beta as well. I played the beta but never checked what version of OpenGL it was using.

Also this game seems to push my GPU harder than any other game I've played so far. I've seen my GPU peak to 76 degrees Celsius. Highest I've seen before was about 72 or 73. I got a new case recently and took a good long time cleaning everything and my cable management is really good so I guess it just stresses the card a lot!

Edit: Found a post on twitter from a ID dev saying that AMD is working on improving performance.

https://twitter.com/idSoftwareTiago/status/731269988242202624

12. heymian

heymian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Game is running surprisingly smooth at 1920x1080, 144 Hz, Ultra settings, V-Sync Off. 100+ FPS constant. 365.19 drivers. No crashes or bugs so far. Not sure if I want to mess with Nightmare Shadows/Page file, I've read you need 6GB of VRAM. My game defaulted to TSSAA (8x) but I changed it to SMAA (1x). The graphics are impressive, even though the post-process AA blurs things to a certain degree. Sound design is spot on, Mick Gordon did a great job here. Gameplay wise, it is rather fun. I find myself constantly questioning whether I should go for glory kills (for power ups) or keep shooting, which is kind of distracting. I'm enjoying the fact there's plenty of secrets to explore which adds more depth to the game. So far, my outlook is very positive.

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Hi,

i returned to my old pc.

980 and 4770K

i run agme as u do. same settings but VSYNC is ON. it runs smooth. u dont like VSYNC or ?

IS THERE a way to see HELMET? like when we wear it at the first time. a MOD? a console command? you get what i mean please?

14. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3070 ti
    Game seems to be capped at 60. Nothing I do fixes that. I've disable vsync in game and in 3d settings in NVCP.

15. sean8102

sean8102 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I've seen some posts that say alt tab'ing out and back in can fix that, maybe worth a shot. My game goes above 60.

To the person that asked me if I don't like v-sync.
    My issue is that this game seems to not use triple-buffering which means that if my FPS ever goes even 1 FPS below 60 it cuts the FPS to 30 until it can hit 60 again. Dose not happen often but it makes any framerate dips much more noticeable, so I just turn v-sync off.

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    alt tabbing freezes my pc. :(

17. plywood99

plywood99 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid Cool
    Have not ran into that issue. I even have a button on my mouse set to the Win/Tab. Works perfectly. Granted I play borderless fullscreen.

18. sean8102

sean8102 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Same here.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's not capped with vSync disabled, I was getting over 100fps without vSync as a test

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT - First CTD, appears to be connected to disabling vSync, first time I've played for more than a few seconds with vSync disabled, first CTD

20. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.