DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    My mouse icon can't seem to scroll down on the CODEX entries. Anyone else experience this?

*Edit* Nevermind, I didn't have the codex entry fully selected..

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
    Those settings worked, thanks for the help!

3. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    welp my 7970 is actually bottlenecking my cpu lmfao im @100% gpu utilization in afterburner with high settings. time to increase the voltage on this thing!

havent made it far at all, just oohing & ahhing at everything. make sure you add +set m_smooth 0 to the exe launch options. maybe the day1 patch will include raw mouse input option...or at the very least, an ingame mouse smoothing toggle so that the CVAR isnt necessary

4. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    So much for those minimum specs. My rig runs this game very well. Some of the settings defaulted to medium and I'm running 4XAF with FXAA. It looks very good and plays extremely smoothly. I'm also playing it with my Xbox 360 controller since I always do better with that than with the keyboard.

I started the launch at 12:06 AM from the pre-load and it took 36 minutes for the game to be ready to play. It was worth the wait.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Game did not unlock for me until about 12:40am (some 35 minutes of decrypting I believe since it said it was Downloading but Steam reported 0 Mb/sec usage throughout the whole time) so I only got to play about 30 minutes so far. First impressions are that this is a very fun game, very much in the style of the original in terms of setting and speed, but with massively improved visuals and a really a cool new melee feature (sorry, forgot what the game calls it) that looks spectacular and gory but proves very useful, perhaps too useful when surrounded by enemies as you automatically target them. Character movement is also fast, alarmingly fast at first to the point where I thought it was too fast but I quickly got used to it. I like the jump function and the way you can quickly climb up as it makes the levels feel much larger and allows for more enjoyable exploration for secrets and stuff.

Audio and visuals are top-notch and performance remained at 60 FPS at 2560x1600 on maxed out (Ultra/Nightmare) settings. 4K unfortunately makes the game dip to 40-50 fps so I have left it on the native resolution. I did notice some slow loading textures but overall the IQ and detail is really impressive for an OpenGL game (personally, I have always found the idTech engine to be a bit underwhelming compared with other engines, particularly in regards to textures, e.g. RAGE's low-res ones).

My only issue is the initial load time on starting the game; it literally took 2-3 minutes then a further 30 seconds to get into the game. Restarts are not instant either but take around 5-10 seconds; not too bad but I don't understand why they aren't instant.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That new nv driver helped quite a bit in my case.

7. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    What are these "Ultra Nightmare" graphical settings people are talking about? I can only crank things up to Ultra at the highest. :/ Or am I confusing graphical settings with difficulty settings? xD

BTW has anyone figured out if it's possible to further tweak the graphical settings via ini edits?

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5271544&postcount=1270

With the debug console down use the command "menu_advanced_allowallsettings 1" and then you can set shadow quality and texture cache above ultra to nightmare even on GPU's with less than 4 GB VRAM. :)

Shadows should be 8192x8192 with cascade shadow maps and texture cache should be 16384x16384 so more detail when streaming data and less "fade" or "pop" as texture quality alters depending on distance to objects. :)

As for image quality I tinkered a bit with the (few) commands available and while initially promising r_antialiasing can't really be improved as the alternate modes relying on MSAA won't work since MSAA itself is non-functional so nothing there, can however turn off texture compression for the "VT" MegaTexture system but that's going to brutalize VRAM I'd imagine so depending on screen res and other settings a 6 GB GPU or above is likely recommended for that without totally tanking the framerate as GPU VRAM starts swapping around.

9. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    ^ sounds good!

Still haven't gotten to actually playing this dammit, downloaded overnight so should be done and ready when I get home from work.
    Unless the mobile internet connection I'm forced to use has been lost which happens quite often with large downloads for some reason.

I'll try to sneak out early...

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI

Could you post the commands you entered in the console?

Can't work out what you typed and what was already there

(Been awake 10 mins, coffee No.1 lol)

12. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armour OC GTX1060 6GB
    Sorry if this has already been discussed, but has anyone here played the game in Ultra Nightmare graphic mode?

Is there a noticeable difference between Ultra and Ultra Nightmare?

PS I really don't think this game is gonna run well on my system. Need a 1070. :wanker:

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Ctrl+Shift+~ (That's "Tilde" above tab and to the left of 1)

This will open the debug console for the game.

write "menu" and press tab and the debug consoles auto-complete feature should change it to "menu_advanced_allowallsettings" and then you just append 1 to it so it looks like "menu_advanced_allowallsettings 1"

Press enter and the new command will set and you can then enable the highest quality settings for the previously locked shadow and texture cache options. :)

EDIT: Alternatively in Steam or as a shortcut to the game exe you can also add " +menu_advanced_allowallsettings 1" (Without " " ) and it should enable as the game is started. :)

14. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Thanks, man. <3

15. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    i forget whoever was experimenting with the AA modes (was it -Tj-?) but thanks. youre absolutely right. upon my own experimentation, ive noticed that every method of antialiasing except for default SMAA blurs not only the areas around edges, but entire objects...or in the case of FXAA, basically the whole screen. this can be partially counteracted by increasing the ingame sharpening filter, but that doesnt fix the disproportionate softening of highlights in reflections (which are everywhere there are shiny surfaces...or blood)

the last AA method is definitely the most effective by a long shot, & its efficiently implemented - but theres so much blur that i have to recommend downscaling + SMAA for MUCH clearer image quality

glad to hear it. yknow 8xAF would only cost you a frame or two...not much gpu horsepower required

im sure youre aware of this but just as a warning to others, if you mess around with certain CVARs youll disable achievements.

16. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    The save system is "check-point" based.

I'm playing on "hurt me plenty". Using my GTX680m with auto detected settings it runs around 28-31fps at 1920x1200. Medium to Ultra. Have to drop everything to low and even then it barely maintains 30fps.

Outdoor sections surprised me in level-design. Enemies are relentless, definitely Doom 1+2, nothing like Doom 3. Very good so far.

I think anyone with GTX960 and above should find this very playable. GTX980m no probs.

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yes the "God" cvar (The only whitelisted cheat cvar available actually.) puts the game in debug mode for your current profile locking online activity and tagging your savegame and snap-map creations as "cheat" so you have to create a new profile or if available turn off the command and resume from a point before you activated it. :)

All other cvars should be safe. :)
    (Strange how notarget and noclip aren't available, or the codes for all weapons or infinite ammo, nope just god-mode.)

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI

Got it, cheers :D

3.6GB vRAM usage with Nightmare

19. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI DUKE OC
    Good news for SLI users.Id just confirmed that it is coming soon and to stay tuned

20. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Remind me, what does VT page size ? Its a hdd space, or what ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.