DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Didn't notice a save option in the Esc menu, but never tried hitting F5 or checking to see if there was a mapped key for it

Seems to put you back at the last checkpoint, but any monsters you killed on your way back to where you died, are still dead, from what I noticed

Health and ammo reappear though

2. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Even though i couldn't get the game to play with VPN, i do have it unpacked already.

Going for a smoke then off playing!

3. sephking

sephking Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980ti Classified
    [​IMG]

Well, **** me...

4. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Lol, the funniest thing I've seen today. Are you sure you're not decrypting Doom 5?

6. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX6900XT
    Game looks great.
    But, here with a two Fury X GPU's, as expected; no CF, raster like artefacts :(, v-sync can't be disabled, triple buffering won't work also.

The raster artefacts looks like forcing the old ID tech5 engine with 16x AF, but they where not present with the beta....

7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    Shadows seem to be a big impact on performance, High still looks pretty good now i get 70-110fps.

Some fps drop below 60fps in fights.

I thought i could run it easily on ultra + nightmare.

8. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    TB is streaming it right now, he's loving it :D

9. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Sea Hawk
    2 hours in and im really impressed. Runs super smooth on Ultra settings at 1440p with no slowdowns of any kind. I think ID nailed it big time, this is what Doom was all about from the start, fast paced action. I love Doom 3, but compared to Doom 4, it's slow as a snail.

10. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    You guys are tempting me... I was gonna wait this out and see reviews + performance

11. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3070Ti
    Dammit, I was afraid of this. No CF, but I am not that suprised....Guess I did have my hopes up a little too much.

Triple Buffering wont work with CF, or just in general?

edit: you are right, triple buffering is not working at all. Only way is to run in a window, and its the only way i can play without it running at 30fps with vsync on. Its even forced on in the control panel, Wolfenstein Old Blood has this same problem. Borderless window does not go into a borderless window, so no triple buffering there either. GRrrrrr, guess im playing in a window...

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    They optimized the crap out of this game, because man is it smooth :D

Playing at 1440p maxed settings seems to be locked at 60 FPS with no drops whatsoever, though I haven't been playing very long.

Doesn't seem particularly CPU intensive at all, and my GPU isn't even near to being stressed. So far, system RAM shows it using a little over 7GB, so minus 1.3GB for the OS and the other background services and it ends up at roughly 6GB.

As for VRAM, on nightmare quality I haven't seen it go over 5GB yet, but it has gone over 4GB. So if your card has 4GB, then using nightmare quality textures may not be advisable if you want a smooth ride.

13. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Anyone having any problems getting the Afterburner OSD to work? I can't seem to get it to show in game.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    It shows up here but it does take a while to initialize, for RivaTuner I'm using medium detection with raster over vector and framebuffer over viewport but I don't think either of those have much to do with it.

I do not use the Steam overlay or other monitoring tools so that could be it, tried using ReShade once but the game just won't load with that so it's off until maybe a later ReShade releases fixes whatever is not working.

15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    My mouse icon can't seem to scroll down on the CODEX entries. Anyone else experience this?

*Edit* Nevermind, I didn't have the codex entry fully selected..

Last edited: May 13, 2016

16. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Those settings worked, thanks for the help!

17. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    welp my 7970 is actually bottlenecking my cpu lmfao im @100% gpu utilization in afterburner with high settings. time to increase the voltage on this thing!

havent made it far at all, just oohing & ahhing at everything. make sure you add +set m_smooth 0 to the exe launch options. maybe the day1 patch will include raw mouse input option...or at the very least, an ingame mouse smoothing toggle so that the CVAR isnt necessary

18. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    So much for those minimum specs. My rig runs this game very well. Some of the settings defaulted to medium and I'm running 4XAF with FXAA. It looks very good and plays extremely smoothly. I'm also playing it with my Xbox 360 controller since I always do better with that than with the keyboard.

I started the launch at 12:06 AM from the pre-load and it took 36 minutes for the game to be ready to play. It was worth the wait.

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Game did not unlock for me until about 12:40am (some 35 minutes of decrypting I believe since it said it was Downloading but Steam reported 0 Mb/sec usage throughout the whole time) so I only got to play about 30 minutes so far. First impressions are that this is a very fun game, very much in the style of the original in terms of setting and speed, but with massively improved visuals and a really a cool new melee feature (sorry, forgot what the game calls it) that looks spectacular and gory but proves very useful, perhaps too useful when surrounded by enemies as you automatically target them. Character movement is also fast, alarmingly fast at first to the point where I thought it was too fast but I quickly got used to it. I like the jump function and the way you can quickly climb up as it makes the levels feel much larger and allows for more enjoyable exploration for secrets and stuff.

Audio and visuals are top-notch and performance remained at 60 FPS at 2560x1600 on maxed out (Ultra/Nightmare) settings. 4K unfortunately makes the game dip to 40-50 fps so I have left it on the native resolution. I did notice some slow loading textures but overall the IQ and detail is really impressive for an OpenGL game (personally, I have always found the idTech engine to be a bit underwhelming compared with other engines, particularly in regards to textures, e.g. RAGE's low-res ones).

My only issue is the initial load time on starting the game; it literally took 2-3 minutes then a further 30 seconds to get into the game. Restarts are not instant either but take around 5-10 seconds; not too bad but I don't understand why they aren't instant.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That new nv driver helped quite a bit in my case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.