1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    vgchartz information is fake, as whole activity of this site on the internet.
    They never tell where got these numbers. It's their secret :wanker:
    You can read, that even the site-crew recognize the possible errors and unreliability of numbers. Don't trust them. Nobody knows the real and exact numbers.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Ok, however there is no doubt that before the release of Rage, ID said his next project would use the PC as primary platform. After launch, bethesda said that Doom 4 would use the consoles as the main platform.

This fact also points to ridiculous PC sales.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If correct, those sales are actually really good considering that is retail, and Rage was a Steamworks game, so most of the copies sold would of been on Steam and Valve never tell anyone, well not the general public how many copies have been told.

4. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Never heard about changing priority. The link please.
    Read about RAGE and developing for consoles.
    http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=23760

I think they deserved this. RAGE is a game from Jhonny and it has 4.4 User score from Users. From greedy journalists it has 7.9 :bang:

I think DooM4 will have Call Of Duty conception, 2 soldiers nearby and kill everyone with regeneration and checkpoints :banana:
    Also, it could be a TPS :nerd:

5. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The game was deserving of about a 7 though, certainly not a 4, and better than any other FPS of last year, not that it was a very good year though.

It wasn't perfect, but it deserves respect for not being a sequel like nearly every game is these days, and also for trying something new with the engine, even if the concept was far too next gen for 2011.

6. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I don't know why people are wasting their time talking about Doom 4.

Rage was in development for 9 years...and it was announced years before even being shown, and then released years after being shown.

I expect nothing less for Doom 4.

Given how poor Rage was on console and PC I don't think they would dare release it until next generation. At one point Carmack said Rage might not be released until next generation.

7. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/id-Software-Lays-Off-Staff-Doom-4-Development-Unaffected-245748.shtml

Redemption80, Rage is steamworks. In many countries, retail version (which requires steam) is much cheaper than in the steam store since release date.

Retail Anarchy edition 16 euros
    http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/rage-anarchy-edition/10487474.html

Steam store 50 euros
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/9200/

I don't think 0.2 millions are great sales.

8. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    I don't trust this. The article from Softpedia is about different thing, not about DooM4.
    BTW, this source has a lot of BS. Last was about W8 :nerd:

EDIT: NFS The Run has PS3 as lead platform(EA words). As result, PS3 version, like in every multiplatform project, is total crap. :wanker:
    PC version.... we need some words about IQ in this game?:nerd:

9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    id stated after the release of RAGE that it's development cycle was a huge learning period for them. And they realize that they made some mistakes.
    The key one being developing the game for all three platforms with the 360 as lead. Carmack has said that future id products will be developed on PC then worked onto the consoles.

Bethesda hasn't said anything about "forcing" console platform as the primary development lead. That's why id agreed to being bought by ZeniMax. Is that they left id alone, let them develop the game how they want.

Also, as for the VGcharts numbers. You're trying to compare RAGE's numbers for roughly four months to the total sales numbers of Doom 3, which is going on five plus years. Yeah... that makes sense.
    Also, STEAM sales are not included in those numbers. As Valve/STEAM do not release the sales numbers to anyone but the publisher/developer of that title. So, those PC sales numbers are not accurate.

But, it still stands that RAGE sold very well. Specially for a new IP these days. Why do people seem so determined to make it look like RAGE bombed?
    Just because some people were disappointed with the game... because they were expecting a Fallout 3 styled game (which id said many times RAGE was not going to be) or because the story fell flat (it's id, they are not known for well written stories).

10. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Bethesda always talks BS, if it's about PC.
    Remember DX11 for Skyrim?
    Well, now they saw that on PC sales are good ssnd they will release Hires Pack. WTF?

11. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080

Ok, I would not look like a Rage-hater. Recently I bought the game and so far, I think it's a good piece of software. It is true that at this point I have not suffered the release day problems (I have the only known bug that can not activate the transcode-GPU with multigpu). And the textures are bad at close range, but the set is beautiful and flowing and has a pretty funny oldschool gunplay.

However, the last path with sharpen texture filtering is an abomination.

Those two links are real and both after release

http://www.vg247.com/2011/10/07/dri...-on-pc-have-been-a-real-cluster-says-carmack/

Carmack talking after Rage launch
    You can not believe it again, but his words are there.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/doom-4/1314/lead-game-designer-of-doom-4-dismissed-from-id/532043/

12. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Yep, about PC as lead platform, was on Destructoid first, read about that. But how can be consoles the lead platform, if them are limited and has outdated hrdware? It's a paradox, well it's Johnny style.
    Who knows, what he will say tomorrow. He released RAGE first on iPhone, after on main platforms :funny: Every dev, even Johnny, don't like New IP :)

P.S. Your Crysis 2 Textures, are gorgeous. Maybe you'll teach Carmack how to make textures? :eyebrows:

13. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080

Thanks. I'm a programmer, so I can tell him a few tricks about textures if he teaches me something good about programming QPQ XD

Just kidding, he has invented megatexture routines, what am I going to explain him?

14. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    Rage could do with one of your texture mods MaLDo just like your excellent work on Crysis 2.

15. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Would like to know his thoughts on the engine and textures.

Considering the original textures were supposed to be about 1tb, and also the way the engine works i'm not sure what he would be able to do.

16. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    The vgchartz sales are way off for PC.

Doom3 looks like it sold more as it was released in the days before digital downloads took off. Also the numbers would be for all the years since.

Rage on the other hand would have had a huge amount of digital sales. I would say it is a safe bet sales on PC were not too far behind D3.

Also PC sales don't taper off as quick as console sales, PC games sell for years after. Consoles games rarely sell much past the first month.

17. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    My word people are so picky these days. There is nothing wrong with RAGE. Ever since Crytek released that benchmark known as Crysis and Crysis Warhead, people expect every game to be a playable benchmark.

It's not always about the graphics. RAGE is a solid shooter with solid gameplay. If you can't play a game to have fun, then yeah I suggest you stick to benchmark shooters.

Bring on Doom4, as I enjoyed Doom3 and RAGE, let alone Quake.

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Yeah, cause that "expensive" game today is a bargain/impulse buy in 6months to 10yrs time.

19. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Nine years huh? So, RAGE was in development before they even released Doom 3. Awesome.
    The game was first shown in 2007. It's believed that development of RAGE started in late (very late) 2006, meaning the game was in development for roughly 5 years. And it's well known a good chunk of the development time was spent on the Engine.

The new Doom was announced a few years ago already. And with the engine already in place... the game will be coming out in a much quicker pace then RAGE did.
    id said to expect Doom within a year or two of RAGE's release. With their goal being within a year of RAGE's release.

20. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    9 years? What have they done the first 8 years, drawing concepts? The game is so boring it hurts.

The style is great and but the actual gameplay (drive here, shoot this, return there) is far from interesting or challenging. Story is non existent too.

I guess the game was finished 8 years ago but everyone had to wait until Carmack finished his megatexture coding. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.