DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    I went ahead, bit the bullet and pre-ordered this game.

The first-ever pre-order for me and one of the very select few games I choose to buy for full price.

Watched some gameplay videos in Youtube (Gamespots I think) and couldn't resist the urge any longer...
    The pace does seem a bit "slow" on the videos but it's worth noting at least the ones I've watched are from console gameplay.
    PC gameplay will be faster paced anyway thanks to KB+mouse versus gamepad.

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, the footage is from the PS4 version. As they said it's easier to setup streams.
    Though, the SnapMap stream they was PC, but they were using a gamepad.

I pre-ordered a long time ago. Doom was the main game I was looking forward to this year.

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    A lot of this game seems similar to wolf TNO, machine head games haven't publicly said but i'm betting they're working on it somewhere.

They haven't announced anything since TOB came out.

4. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    MachineGames are said to be working on their own "secret" project.
    It's rumored to be part of Bethesda's E3 conference this year. With, the front running rumor... a sequel to Wol:TNO.

As the lady that voiced Anya commented that she was recording new dialog for a sequel to a video game character she had done.
    And, Anya... is the only video game character she has ever voiced.

This is all id.
    If you remember, they did stuff like that in RAGE as well. You could find a Wolf3D, Doom and Quake room in RAGE.
    MachineGames said that's why they put them in Wolf, because id inspired them to.

Also...
    http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/04/28/first-doom-hard-difficulty-gameplay-in-1080p-60fps

So great.
    I love fast and brutal that looks. Also, how the metal music flares up in combat.

And the little bits of campy and cheese. "Demonic presence at unsafe levels"... that's awesome. :)

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    a sequel for that superb fps game, im totally in.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    "Volunteers are now needed for UACs exciting new experiment program!"

I bet...

Yea looks like the kind of good-old fps fun you'd expect. Though I'm hoping it's not too much of just kind of arena-corridor-arena-corridor as in the video.
    Not that you'd really care when you're tearing through (or getting torn through by) monsters.

This and Shadow Warrior 2 alone are making this a hell of a good year for fps gaming! PC gaming going back to its roots in a way.
    Innovation is always good but you can't beat the classics.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    A new gameplay video of Shadow Warrior 2 was released yesterday. Looks great. That and Doom 4 are really the only games I was looking forward to this year.

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    When I had my gtx 670 4gb sli,
    the aplha beta was limited ot 1920x1080 on my monitor and no sli profile.

I always had 60fps but I sold those before the open beta came out.
    Wondering if you have a 2GB card and am hitting a vram limit.
    It was using 2.6gb avg vram for me back then.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just bought it off cdkeys too. Remember that you can get another 5% off from their fb page.

10. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Loved that footage. The amount of variety in the glory kills is also really cool, as well as the context sensitive ways you can kill stuff. Like how if you glory kill a demon next to a wall, Doomguy kicks him to the wall and wallstomps its head. Love it.

Also love how some demons climb surfaces. Looks so good. I'm also in love with the Bokeh effect that's used when you activate the weapon wheel.

Brilliant.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, seeing the Imps hanging off walls... throwing fireballs at the player. That's a great little touch.

12. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Sea Hawk
    So who's down for Ultra Nightmare.:arnie:

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Honestly, I'll most likely play it on Hurt Me Plenty my first time, and then... Ultra Violence.
    But, I doubt I'll ever play on Nightmare.

I played both new Wolf games on Uber... but they were incredibly easy.
    I enjoy a solid challenge, but not at the expense of being frustrating. And, I'll judge that by playing the other skills first.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Perma death? No way :p

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah... I've never enjoyed Permadeath.

And, since they've said nobody in id has been able to finish it... I'm not that keen on even trying.

I was discussing Doom on another forum, and had a bunch of people basically screaming at me... that, it's not id Software anymore because all the people left. And this isn't Doom...

Sorry, but, it's still id. Yeah, the well known names left. Todd, John... a few others. But, Marty Stratton... the guy who's head of this Doom. He's been with id since 1999. He's worked on Doom 3, RAGE, Quake Live and now Doom.
    The majority of the team has been there for years. Just because the four or five well known names leave doesn't mean the studio is suddenly filled with different people.

Also, yeah... this isn't Doom 1993. Just like Doom 3 wasn't Doom. It was a huge departure from the original. Far more then this new entry is.
    I find it funny people were so willing to accept Doom 3, with it being a massive change for the series. Yet, this one, which is taking huge cues and direction from the originals... is getting a lot of negativity and has people crying "This isn't Doom"...

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Got mine from SimplyGames, about the same price as CDKeys.

http://digital.simplygames.com/steam/doom

17. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Sea Hawk
    I won't even attempt Nightmare or even less the Ultra Nightmare as there will be way too much frustration involved.

I never played the beta as im not into online fragging, but i think the single player will be an awesome experience both visually and atmospherically. And yes, this is definitely Doom, regardless of what people say. 2 more weeks to go guys.

18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Definitely more "Doom", than Doom 3. Which is a good thing. The fact D1 and D2 are in this game makes it a nice rounded package for people who haven't forked out for them this generation (like me).

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I love Doom 3.
    Replaying it right now actually. And it's Doom through and through, just a different style of Doom.

And I'm glad for that.
    I'm glad they tried different things, even though this one is going back to it's roots some... they are still doing new things with it and expanding it's design to make it it's own game.

20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    In retrospect Doom 3 was and is a very good shooter, even if the new Doom is the game basically everyone expected Doom 3 to be, me included, I think.

After the initial letdown and putting all the old-Doom-bias aside I found myself liking Doom 3. Granted it took years (and SikkMod) but that takes nothing away from the game.

Yes, if asked I'll say Half-Life 2 and FEAR are far better than D3 but they're also different kind of FPS games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.