DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    It doesn't look impressive, it doesn't play particularly well, it's not really an arena shooter, and server performance is pretty ****ty

2. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    played two matches.

verdict -> "meh"

i will probably play singleplayer and forget about it afterwards.
    i dont see a big competitive scene arising in this one. but maybe thats not what's intended.

PS: performance was very good tho. no stutter / framedrop / low fps etc...
    pretty smooth

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  3. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    So go and inform ID Software via the correct channels and I'm sure they'll take the criticism on board.

4. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    The MP feels a lot like Unreal Tournament, except UT is doing it better imo. Also the game was capped at 60fps? I wasn't particularly impressed with the gameplay, but will still be getting it for the SP.

Might just throw this out there, but a lot of those arena shooters have very similar and in some cases, identical, weapons... wonder why that is..

5. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I would certainly hope so.. I've never known ID/Bethesda to be in the loop with arena shooters where Epic built their company off of this genre of game.

I doubt that doom will become any sort of competitive MP shooter, but the SP campaign looks like it could be interesting enough.

6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I do think UT is more progressive than Doom. Doom seems to be going backwards in terms of things to learn. Just like rocket jumping, that isn't really do-able like Quake 3.

COD:BO3 actually has more to learn re-movement. Doom needs a sprinkling of Q3 to make it more competitive.

UT:Alpha has been changed a lot though. E.g. double jump has been removed, leaving only double-tap strafing.

7. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Well, double jump is likely to be a mutator which can be added, so it may very well still be a part of the game. The main differences are that its currently not there, but has been replaced with single tap dodge and the ability to dodge off of walls and objects.. so you can dodge toward a wall, and then dodge off of it.

To me this allows for far better mobility, and truly movement in tandem with good aim skills makes for a deadly player.. in the past, just good aim was enough.. No longer, in UT4. IMO this is a welcomed change, as it will also spawn greater variety and creativity in map creation.

8. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz

Yeah i thought about that. If they are all low, i get even 77% gpu usage at 60fps cap. If i they are low, and i can max them, then no one will play it, will be very intense...

Probably not all low, but not maxed out either. Also was no purpose for the fps unlock they have.

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    There is also of-course, plenty of good things to write home about UTA progress e.g. map gfx updates being one that is making a steady more polished feel. Engine fixes and optimisations. It runs very well now. Even my old GTX680m was doing great and very playable before I upgraded.

Which brings me back to iD...and Carmack's reign. Will we ever see Q3 patches-like dedication with this Doom? Or are we gonna be left stuck after a few patches? Sometimes, that continued support is what's needed to keep the game alive.

I have certainly enjoyed multiplayer. Doom actual has one trump card and that's the 1st person gfx are done well and perspective-wise I actually think Doom looks and feels more realistic than UTA. If the "potential" gfx is indeed even more "realistic" I think I will still enjoy occasional mp because it does feel good.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    So which one is the better looking? UE4 vs Id6 :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I am going with UT4, however, nobody plays UT with the graphics set very high. Game is rough at less than 100fps.

Have not tried Doom so can't comment on performance though based on screenies it does look good.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Not the best part though, doom has good reflecting parts too -paralax and all that..

2nd lvl looks even better.

U4e is nice, cant really compare to id6, but id6 is ok too - although a little colorful

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    So i tried Doom 4 beta for a few matches and i have mixed feelings about it. The graphics are weak but that´s not a problem for a MP game.
    As for the gameplay, i liked the "old school" aspect, similar to Quake 3 in a certain way and i had fun playing it, although it could be faster. But there are 2 big problems for me: the weapons feel weak and lack a punch like Quake 3 and the "COD" bull**** is really out of place. We don´t need another shooter with loadouts and experience levels and special abilities. Just leave that crap out of the game!

I may buy the game but not at full price. Maybe when it´s below the 20€ mark...

14. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I play UT maxed out with refresh set to 75hz and it runs fine, ut4 I mean

15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    How are the weapons weak? The shotgun seems to be the most powerful weapon in the MP part. You can one shot most people unless you are far away.

I'm loving it. And you can spot the COD players who run around with the machine gun thinking that is going to get them kills.

16. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000

What's this about one tap dodge? Last I played you had to double tap wasd and I found it insanely hard to dodge forwards

17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yes, and I was agreeing with you.

18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    It's unfair comparison shot, UT4 design is overall way simplier than the one-shot you took there. DOOM level design is more interesting than the map i've seen in UT4 so far.

Is this DOOM beta fun? I don't wanna download... The few footage i've seen seemed a bit slow pace arcade shooter.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I don't have either of these games, but engine wise, UE4 is as cutting edge as it gets when it comes to technology and capability.

We'll see that later this year when we see games like Gears of War 4, Hellblade and Space Hulk DeathWing which use much more of the UE4 than any of the games released on the engine so far.

20. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Its kind of fun, at first I was like 'meh' but after a couple of rounds I was having fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.