DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    lol :p

I didn't like the feel of the game in the closed beta so I'll try it on the ps4 for the feel of the controller. They did say that they were required to play the game with one during development and testing. I enjoyed FO4 and bioshock infinite a lot more with a controller so maybe this will be the same but ultimately I'll buy it on PC, if I do at all. See the prices for the ps4 version ... 299 AED lmao.

It's not releasing on the old gen. There's an open beta for all 3 plats, you can just login to your steam account and download it. Just 10GB.

2. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    yeah :) its w7, i switched from w10 to w7 some weeks ago because its just better for gaming after i compared w10 & w7 for like 3 months...
    the scheme is very eye friendly. i hate big contrasts on my GUI... like shiny white and blue... its bad for the eye without enough environmental lighting in the room...

positive secondary effect: its faster than with aero :)

3. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Ohh same "story" ehh? Again 12-14 hours for 60$ plus some MP for fanboys?
    Wait for Winter sales.

Better than Windows 7 Basic theme?The classic theme is too classic aproach of Win98. :D

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    They are rebooting the series. What did you expect from the story?
    And, yeah, 60 bucks for a decent sized campaign.

5. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Will see if it is a reboot.
    For me or for others guys is too much for that,say,~15 hours.I buy with 60$ every game with at least 30+hours gameplay.

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    id have already confirmed it's a reboot.
    They are starting the series over from scratch.

And for me, I'm glad id focused heavily on the campaign. That's all I care about. And... it's id Software. It's a day one buy for me.
    No other developer handles player movement/combat like id.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    15 hours for SP is pretty long these days unless its another GTA clone. Most FPS games you're lucky to get 6-7 hours out of it.

8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah. For a linear, level to level progression game... 15 hours is a really good size.
    I think most people are confusing the estimated playtime for this time with recent open world games.

Shooters have been horribly short in recent years. With only a few titles (Wolfenstein: TNO, Shadow Warrior... and so on) offering good sized experiences.

id have always delivered solid, lengthy games. Hell, Doom 3 was a 15+ hour game when it released.

9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    Well actually since 2010 or 2011 we have only a couple of fps games not openworld that have over 10 to 12 hours of campaign. This has been the issue since quite some time that linear shooters dont have enough campaign time and everybody was saying that the gaming business has become more multiplayer oriented of late and its true, too many devs caring more about mp than sp, i am happy to see that ID has stayed true to their nature and true to the fps fanboys, we want old school fps to be back in the frey.

10. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    I'll be glad if they will make a good SP campaign.But even that not for 60$.
    You as a fan its ok to buy it day one.

Few hours until beta and want to see how is it in gameplay.
    Btw will be OGL or only DX11?

Old style RTS & FPS are gone.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's alot to pay for a campaign, especially if you only play through the once.

Some people can replay games, but ive yet to find a game i can do that with.

12. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Yes it is.Thats why we need to wait to see what they offer for that money.

Its not a Open world or Rpg or Racing to play hours after hours.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Wait until the week prior to release if the need to prepurchase is so strong. The console version usually breaks street date and there will be plenty of info out there to base a decision on.

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Complaining about game length is stupid.

Sure I got around 40hours out of Witcher 3's main story and some side quests.

Sure I got around 14hours out of Wolfenstein The New Order (1 replay on higher difficulty)

But I enjoyed them both equally.

A linear fps game gets boring no matter how good it after a while. If Wolf had lasted 40+hours I would of given up even though its a great game with some of the best fps mechanics and feel I have ever played.

An open world game needs to be big and long because why the heck have a massive world if the story lasts only 10 hours!???

Makes no sense.

At least with Doom you know what your gonna get. Demons, guns, shooting, and more shooting. It doesn't need anything else.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Indeed. 15h of blasting demons into hell is enough for me. I'll even try MP but i dont think i'll stick to it too long. There are games like new Unreal Tournament that offers much more when it comes to MP.

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    OpenGL.
    It's been said that idTech6 is an OpenGL engine.
    And the closed Alphas and closed Beta are show that to be true.

I've found one game I couldn't replay. And that's because it bored the hell out of me.
    Every other title I've bought... I've replayed. Even newer ones, like both recent Wolfenstein titles... replayed both multiple times. And still have a blast doing it.
    To me, it would be a waste to buy a game... play it once and not touch it again.
    It'd be like buying a movie, watching it once... and never watching it again.

And, when every single other game that gets released is 60 bucks, it's no different for me.

Exactly. Length does not equal quality. A game being long or short doesn't make it good or bad.
    Singularity is one of my favorite shooters in recent years. I can finish it in about 4 - 5 hours. But I still love it, and still was glad I bought it at release.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    A short game does not make it a bad game, but it does lower the amount im willing to pay.

I don't really rewatch movies either, sometimes when going up to a new higher quality format, but once ive saw it once that's it.
    Same thing with games, unless it's a remake/remaster then it wont be played again.

18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    i've replayed wolfenstein the new order and the old blood 2 times both. amazing games.

19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    i just recently installed Unreal tournament but i find very few people playing, and the pace of the gameplay is too fast, i dont know maybe its me who s used to play BF4 and cs go.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Actually its opengl/and or vulcan.

Vulcan chopper nv demo reads as opengl @ rtss Osd, but its vulcan non the less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.