DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    I'm just trying to understand why barely anyone feels the same way about it. It baffles me in the same way pop music does.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Well they suddenly stopped for me. Could play another 2hrs without interruptions.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Probably... because from what I've seen, most everyone else absolutely loves the game. I've finished the campaign twice, and still love playing it.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    new 82MB patch???

Vulken.... it can't be??

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    by the way, i have installed in the programs and features 3 versions of vulkan libraries, i don t know how these came to be installed on my pc, but here they are, 1.0.5.1 /1.0.8.1 /1.0.1.1/ does anyone have these installed?

6. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    are you serious, ""ädvanced warfare" lol, well this confirms it to me that your taste is elsewhere and u just said that witcher 3 is your thing, so please play that game and don t give opinions about other genres that just aren't your type of games and leave it to the FPS enthusiasts.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
  8. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    Lol don't give an opinion on a game I've played? So this is the Doom circle jerk thread then? No criticism allowed?

And FYI am a FPS enthusiast, just mostly in the multiplayer side of things. I've logged hundreds of hours in BLOPS3 multiplayer and I've been super into Overwatch. My FPS love goes all the way back to UT multiplayer (and I did like Doom, 20 years ago). Single player generally just seems boring/pointless unless there's a story attached, which was good in things like Advanced Warfare. If there's not a good story involved in it then I'd rather just be playing a multiplayer game.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    They're installed by the Nvidia driver.

Btw, my mate who's got an i5 750 + GTX970 can play the campaign fine, runs good, but, multiplayer doesn't start, just black-screen and loading icon spinning. The beta worked for him, anyone else have this problem?

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    That says a lot about why you dislike this game.
    The MP here is completely throw away garbage. This game is all about the campaign. And, here, there is actually a really deep, well crafted story... but, it plays heavily in the background.
    And, the Doom Marine... simply does not give a **** about it.

Personally, I hate Overwatch. Everything about it just... bleh. And, AW, while one of the better CoD titles... the story is still pretty damn cliche and typical.

This DOOM is all about the combat, mobility... story is there, and as I said above, it's actually very well crafted. But, it's a side element. Something pushed to the back seat so you can focus on the blood and chaos.

Really, you are not the target audience for this game. Sad as it may be, but... it's just how it is.
    I'm not the target audience for the Battlefield series. I love FPS games, it's my favorite genre... but... to hell with MP. So, I stay away from that series... and any other FPS game that focused completely on MP.

11. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    @Wrathloki

The game isn't for you like others said, which is fine. Being an FPS enthusiast, no matter for how long, has absolutely nothing to do with the taste of FPS you like to play. You'll like some, hate some... simple as that. And there are plenty of other people who share your POV as well, you're not that special that you're the only one. If you want a community of ppl sharing your POV, check out the negative section reviews of DOOM on steam. If you're in the minority, 'reasons' alone won't change your perspective on the matter let alone making you understand them, no matter how good they are. Why? Because you already and played and hated it. That's like saying "Oh you should give <insert food> another try because of this and this reason."

Some people change tastes, its not something that is supposed to stay consistent throughout the years. I personally would check out DOOM simply because I want the nostalgic feeling of the first one... run and gun, that's it. After years of playing FPS with solid or crappy stories... a change would be nice.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Umm, what's going on here :)

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I think this game has some of the best level design since Jedi Outcast.

The verticality is impressive which is enabled by the fact the character can jump / climb effectively (as in Jedi Outcast you had Force Jump etc.).

I occassionally get the same I think and ingame too. Dunno what causes it and it goes away quickly.

Dooms story plays "in the background" and involves finding and reading the codexes pretty much. The ingame tidbits are just a fraction of the whole story to give some motivation as to what's happened.
    It was pretty much the same with Doom 3's PDA entries.

Personally I think that's another cool thing in this game, you need to work out the story for yourself. Or can choose to ignore it for just some run and gun action.

But I also can understand that this game does not suit everyones tastes. It's a straightforward run-and-gun game with a few modern twists (weapon mods etc.).
    Which is exactly what I and probably majority of people wanted from Doom but as such it doesn't appeal to everyone.

14. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Well, I know there's many campaign players who hate multiplayer, but, as a Cod:Bo3 advocate myself, I think Doom MP is infinitely more balanced than Bo3 MP. Bo3 wins in features, Doom is purer. I enjoy both tbh.

15. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    i hate MP FPS games as of recent games and slowly drifting off from any MP games, i just wanna play relaxed and not to try at all, i guess getting older have side effects :D

Doom MP is not interesting at all, snapmap does but it could be much better, i hope someone can insert new guns into the campaign, cause the SP is one of the best ever made.

16. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    loki, pal, if youre disappointed that the story takes backseat to the incredibly tight gameplay & masterfully orchestrated action...then i will simply remind you that you are playing an id software game.

damien & asiju are right, every id game actually has a story...& the main character never gives a **** about it. they make groundbreaking engines & awesome gunplay mechanics. for twenty years...thats it...& now youre expressing surprise at it :D

::edit::

my post reminded me that, even tho carmack stepped away during the development of this project (due to zenimax/bethesda mismanagement idiocy), this game is basically the swansong for the carmack era. bless marty stratton for his dedication to the old guard of FPS pc gaming. maybe the success of DOOM will lead to a new & similarly inspired quake! we can only hope...

17. Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel Master Guru

GPU:
    TITAN Xp
    Played a few levels at my brother's place on Ultra-Violence and really enjoyed the game. Was impressed with the visuals, level design/structures and player movement.

You can see the Crysis dev has made a huge impact on the game, really another level from older id software games visually. Looks like a mix of Crysis 3 and Doom.

The melee system adds more depth to the Doom gameplay, very nice addition, really enjoyed using it and functional as it gives you health.

The movement and engine feels fluid and fast, feels great to play.

They really nailed that 'Aliens' feel in the corridors, 'Hicks !' ' Ripley !!!!!!'. Very cool.

Looking forward to adding it to my collection one of these days.

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    This game is super-awesome but I really hate the boss fights. Thankfully there have only been two so far up to level 12 which I am currently on (of 13 I believe).

19. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Most people usually enjoy boss-fights (a sense of love-hate relationship :p)

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I enjoyed the first boss fight.
    The second one, I felt was a little tedious. The final one I really liked, it offered up a great challenge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.