DooM 4 Thread (Pt.1)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xzibit, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    So finally got everything done in SP campaign...all collectibles, upgrades, etc.... and decided to try to beat the first level on Ultra Nightmare. Started in the first area and saw it covered in little helmets of dead players. I thought to myself, how could so many people be dying on the first area? Then got one shot by a soldier.

I don't think I'll be beating it on that difficulty.

2. scitek

scitek Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
  3. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Wait, you can see where other players died?

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Yeah. Little helmets on the ground with a nameplate

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I did the first mission on Ultra Nightmare, got the achievement... and stopped.

I like a challenge, but one that's fun. Nothing about how the first level played on Ultra Nightmare leads me to believe that later levels would be anything resembling "fun". I see only frustration and annoyance on that difficulty.

6. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    One thing i felt after delving into the sp campaign way long is that it felt a bit repetitive i wanted a scarier premise but felt its an action game rather than a horror themed one, but kicking monsters ass in this is so satisfying i hope more of the same will come from id either as dev or publisher.

7. fragba1t

fragba1t Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX Strix 1060 6GB
    It kinda balances out as you go due to upgrades from what I can see. That said I'm not touching that mode again for a while :D

8. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I actually got past that part where I was stuck, found the blue skull, got through that door and now I'm stuck again just before getting to the portal. First Imps, the Hell Razers and 2 Knights. Then 2 Mancubus along with Revenants and then 2 Barons. It's just too much. I tried about 10 times so far and got to where I think the Barons were all that was left and they stomped me. Maybe the patch will make things a bit easier but I doubt it. The lowest difficulty is just too hard. DOOM 3 was better. I even have the stun bomb now but it takes way too long to recharge.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Damn, two crashes within one hour, it's with the 368.22 drivers.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    No BFG ammo?

11. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    I got two BSODs

12. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    I'm about 3 hours into this now (just past foundry) and I really, truly do not understand all the praise this game is getting. It's so boring and repetitive but the way people talk about it you'd think this was the second coming.

13. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    Just depends what you're looking for, it plays amazingly well, the combat is fun, the level design is refreshing, graphically it looks great imo, the aesthetic as well fits the gameplay, and it runs incredibly well. It's just an extremely polished gameplay focused, no bull****, no frills singleplayer campaign.

14. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Anyone else having sound issues, especially in the menu?
    I don't know how to explain it, it's part of the music and sounds static with parts of white noise. I upgraded my realtek drivers but that didn't help with the sound issue.

15. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Its DOOM. It tried to be like the original by being the arcadey, run and gun type shooter it was famous for.

16. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    Which was amazing 20 years ago. I think the lack of story is what's really boring to me. If I wanted to just shoot things in a game without a story I'd just play a multiplayer shooter.

17. Aelders

Aelders Banned

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    The absence of a story, although there is one, it just isn't focused on. There are very few cutscenes, it's a game that just wants to play well. Kind of like The Phantom Pain, gameplay takes center stage. I love it.

18. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    all i can say from what you wrote is that this game is not for u, so go play fallout 4 or witcher 3 as these seem to be ur game, otherwise this is one of the best shooter sp campaigns in the last 5 years, it doesnt get any better than this when it comes to down right single player focused game.

19. wrathloki

wrathloki Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
    Why so dismissive? Isn't this thread to discuss the game? I was just adding my 2 cents and bafflement that almost nobody feels the same way I do about this game.

And yes, Witcher 3 for sure is my kind of game, I love it. Fallout 4 not so much, another repetitive and boring game IMO.

As for shooter campaigns in the past 5 years, Advanced Warfare and Halo 5 were so much more entertaining than this.

All these comments about how this is gameplay focused don't make much sense to me either. I don't find the gameplay to be particularly different than any other shooter.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  20. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I think the fact that you said you prefer Advanced Warfare says a lot.
    While it is one of the better CoD released, it's still... pretty forgettable and uninspired.

And, I didn't see ramthegamer's post as dismissive. He stated what I thought when I read your post as well.
    It just doesn't seem like your thing.

Personally, I agree with him. DOOM is one of the best single player FPS games in years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.