Doom 4 performance and discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, May 13, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  2. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    Damn, and I am sitting here, waiting for crossfire support, but it seems that one 280x/7970 can already run this game on 60 fps :infinity:

3. sean8102

sean8102 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I know borderless avoids screen tearing, and the game has borderless built in. Thats not why I want v-sync. I want it because it keeps the temps a lot lower and fan speed down. I already tried using radeonpro, and radeon settings to force triple buffering, tired its adaptive v-sync feature as well, dose not work on doom. Also tried using it to lock framerate to 60 without v-sync.

Point is if the game is supposed to have triple buffering its broken, either in the game in general or because of AMD drivers. I'm just hoping the Vulkan renderer handles this better.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  4. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Well, I don't have the game, but what is wrong with running it in window with vsync and using Borderless Gaming? Temps are still high?

5. sean8102

sean8102 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    NM, it still dose it even though the game says its windowed. I give up. Probably something that will never get fixed. Fingers crossed vulcan has a working decent v-sync solution.

Edit: Actually I just got it to work I think! It got rid of the borders and looks fullscreen but it says its still in windowed mode! Thank you!! I had never heard of that little utility

Yep that did it. Just loaded up one of the most demanding spots in the game and the framerate will now only dip slightly to 55FPS or so instead of going to 30 in the few spots that knock it down. That fixed it :)

I just tried that borderless gaming app. It wont get rid of the borders, I appreciate the link though was a good idea. Maybe it dosent work because its a OpenGL game. Not sure. Playing it in a maximized window really isn't to bad, but for now I'm just gonna stick with v-sync full screen. With the power saving thing turned off in radeon settings ,and clockblocker running the drops to 30 are really really rare. at least so far, and I'm almost at the end of the game.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    No CF/SLI ? its developers fault always, not the GPU vendors :)
    Devs need to put it in Game, BTW DX12 will Fix this for CF/SLI users :)
    That's Progress, i like DX12/Vulcan.
    And i need full DX12/Vulcan H/W feature support not partial when i switch to Big Polaris this summer :ying:

8. Garwinski

Garwinski Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Fury X
    Devs from Doom said that multi-gpu support is coming (search on google for doom multi gpu, you will find a lot of hits). It could be that they will do this with the Vulkan-update though. Putting time and money into multi-gpu support for an old API would be a waste IMO.

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I think hopes are unrealistic regarding Vulkan for Doom. I don't think it's going to be the saving grace everyone is expecting, especially on high/highest-end systems. Following The Talos Principle's vulkan implementation, there's a good chance performance might actually initially be lower than current opengl. Even when there's a performance boost, it's more likely to show benefit for the mid/mid-high systems, than high-end.

10. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    What's that overlay? Don't remember seeing it anywhere...

11. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @Seketh, it's doom's build-in in-game.

12. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    Is there a consol command for running a benchmark like Doom 3 had?

13. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    So is there a reason for the lack of Vulkan? I was interested until I noticed we are on a lesser version of OpenGL. I want to believe if we were also on 4.5 the framerate would be better.

14. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    You will have to wait for AMD to complete their OpenGl 4.5 implementation.

15. Virs

Virs Guest

GPU:
    R9 390
    One of the developers said that AMD being on OpenGL 4.3 doesn't lead to a lower framerate, as it runs 4.3 with 4.4 and 4.5 extensions.
    Could be true, could be lying, but he doesn't really benefit from protecting AMD.

16. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Hot damn! Nice one AMD!

kepler :peeleft:

17. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I'd thought of running Doom with 2x HD7950 in CF mode on my 3rd rig (i7 2600K), but since there's no CF/SLi support yet, I'd taken both cards out and replaced them with a HD7970 (can do 1.1GHz OC). Less headaches and such.....it'd be interesting to see how my dual GTX Titan 6GB (2nd rig, i7 4770K) fare in this game.

BTW, whose bright idea was it to have only 6.9GB of the game in a single disc, requiring me to download the remaining ~40GB online? With my damn slow net speed, using wireless dongle), it's gonna take me about 10 days or so to download (overnight only) the rest.

Edit - Just checked out the garage section of the local forums in my neck of the woods, peeps are trying to sell off their GTX970/GTX980's/GTX980 Ti's left, right, and center while the going is still relatively good. Trouble is, some are still asking pretty high prices so the cards are not exactly priced to sell.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  18. dasa2

dasa2 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290@1200 MCW60
    use a fps limiter like dxtroy to cap the fps at whatever yo want
    amd drivers has added this feature but unfortunately it doenst work in doom at the moment

19. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    My 270X certainly did not get any 36% boost. More like 3.6% if even that.

20. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Probably intel cpu.