1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doom 3 Simply Awesome!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Retroborg, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Retroborg

Retroborg Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 660GTX O/C 2GB
    I completed Doom3.
    That was one awesome game!

The introduction with the female voice, talking about the UAC being the largest corporate entity in existence... etc, was a great touch that shows the shape of things to come.

It had all the cool elements that made the original Doom famous while maintaining all the cool old-school-action gameplay from Doom1 & 2, Hexen, Heretic & Unreal1.

Awesome graphics, scary atmosphere, all the original enemies & bosses, plus a lot of new nasties, nice story line & unexpected twists.
    The fact that many objectives didn’t quite work out as planned, adds a lot to the cool factor.
    This was the first FPS imho, that matched the Unreal 1 Lens flares & laser effects.
    Some of the laser effects in Generator Reactor level, where just breathe taking.
    Also the fully automated level in Alpha Labs, with the huge robotic cranes, was great!

I loved the part in Delta Labs 4, when the Hell Gate opens & 2 Hell Knights jump into the scene, chasing after a poor scientist.
    At that moment, Pumping a full charged BFG blast into their face, combined with the gate effects in the background, will create some of the finest graphic effects one could see!

The Serge Tank was the same guy from Smash TV Arcade!
    The dig site reminded me of the Temple Levels in Unreal 1 & Hexen.

As for the Cyber Demon, well no self respecting Doom game could be without the legendary cyborg from hell! That was one Mighty frekle kicking dude!

The Hell level was so cool. I know a lot of people compared it to the Alien Planet in Half Life, but I think it was great, especially the fight against the Guardian!

Beautiful, beautiful!
    If you like olds-school FPS action, with awesome Graphics & story, you’ll love this.

I’ll play it again, but this time, I’ll choose not to send the message transmission to the fleet, violating the Serge’s orders & see if it has any effect in the story later on.

So go out and buy Doom3, Carmack needs your hard earned money! :D :D

I can’t wait for Doom 4!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  2. rsjrv99

rsjrv99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 OC Windforce
    Doom 4? You will be waiting a very long time for that bud. Because the Doom 3 expansion will be here in a year or so.

And yes, its supposed to take on the old version of gaming, run and shoot, but these days people dont like that. These days games can have storylines and twists and turns unlike the other games could. And that is one reason why people hated Doom 3. No storyline.

3. Retroborg

Retroborg Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 660GTX O/C 2GB
    What are you saying?
    Doom3 has a cool story, a lot of twists & turns!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  4. Emanon75

Emanon75 Guest

It gave me that.. Been there.. Done that before feeling..

Same old game.
    Better graphics..

Disappointing, IMO.

5. Bluedog

Bluedog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N680GTX TF 2GD5/OC
    I enjoyed the game also but would rather play a game that uses multiple paths to accomplish a common goal. That creates replay to me.

6. Millhouse_

Millhouse_ Guest

but doom3 was not going after replay i don't think. like a movie...every time you watch it, its the same thing. but like once every 6 months you have the urge to watch it again. thats how doom3 is. its an aweseom experience the first time. and every now and again you feel the urge to play it. just not over and over like some of you say far cry is like. in my opinion...ALL single player games have no replayablity. i play the game for the experience. so many games come out....that if you spread your time and take about 2 weeks to beet it. you don't need to play one game over and over. i play ut24k online over and over and some otehrs. but for like doom3 i was looking for ONE great experience. i mean, you pay 7 dollars to go to a movie. i paid 55 and i took it slow and i had at least 30 HOURS of gameplay for ONLY 55. when you look at it that way it sounds like a good deal. thats just me though. some people were expecting doom3 to be the BEST thing since like sliced bread and be able to play it over and over in different ways till the end of time. lol

7. Millhouse_

Millhouse_ Guest

another thing that killed it for alot of people was all the hype. you SHOULD NOT hype a game to yourself. all it will result in is dissapointment. the last game i hyped up alot was a game called New World Order by termite games. this was a no name company that had AWESOME screenshots and they hyped this game to be the counter strike killer. with real time lighting and real physics and stuff. they buffed the screenshots it turns out and their engine was buggy as crap and it didn't even make it to americas b/c it sucked so bad. in fact...that game was on x-play on g4 for the worst pc shooters of all time. LOL when i saw that i laughed my head off b/c i hyped it so much.

8. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Doom 3 wasn't that good because it tryed to create a realistic atmosphere while giving you gameplay from 1993. For example ,Serius Sam games were exelent, because they focused on giving you that old school ,just fun interactive shooting gallery, with wepons and powerups to match. Doom 3 on the other hand attempts to crate a realistic world and fails bad being stuck somewhere in between.

9. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    I thought Doom3 was great, the eerie, horror atmosphere the game portrays is done very well. A great way to pay homage to the old classic.

10. neowar3020

neowar3020 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Msi GeforceFx 5900-VTD128
    perfect game period!

for me at least was perfec, great gameplay, great mosnters, great weapons, great intro, gret outro.

11. Viktory2k1

Viktory2k1 Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800GTX OC
    I Love Doom3! I am not even close to finishing it due to hardware issues. I think a Silent Hill 4 for PC would be great!!

12. Retroborg

Retroborg Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 660GTX O/C 2GB
    By the way, is there any change later on in the story, if you choose not to send the message transmission to the fleet, at the Comm base?

And at some point in Alpha Labs Serges tells you to choose a path?

13. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb
    no doubt they have created an awsome game - just the fact that it is so darn dark did it for me - i haven't died yet though : )

14. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470
    The importance of Doom 3 is not in the game mechanics itself, but the impact it has on the gaming industry. id has done again what it always does best, push the games industry forward. Doom 3 sets a new level in FPS presentation and all future games will be measured by it. I can't wait for more games to come out using the D3 engine.

15. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 660 ti Jetstream
    Considering how Doom 3 collects elements from System Shock 2 (PDA, audio logs) it would've been prudent if they'd made it a more intelligent shooter if they were creating a realistic environment. So you're right, if they're making a kill-em-all game, do it like Serious Sam and Painkiller, stupendous storylines and lots of fun.

16. Retroborg

Retroborg Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 660GTX O/C 2GB
    The only thing I didn't like in Doom3 is that most levels where quite linear & could not be explored to the extent that Doom1-2, Quake1-2, Heretic & Hexen could.

I miss the old school maze-like levels.

Also I did not notice too many secrets in Doom3.
    Most were quite obvious to discover.

But all the ambush from the original Doom was there!
    Imps sneaking up at you from behind, or from the platform beneath you over a lava covered pit.
    You gotta love it!

17. TheReproducer

TheReproducer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 660 ti Jetstream
    Doom 3 was ALL linear, except for some backtracking it was just corridoor to corridoor shooting.

18. krisha

krisha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GTS250 512 mb

sure but damn .... i had me sittin' upstraight in the chair

19. NowhereMan

NowhereMan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 470
    Yeah, but if you think about it, with the exception of maybe DuesEx, all shooters are linear -- in the end, it's get from point A to point B. All the great shooters: Half Life, Call of Duty and FarCry are all linear (even though FarCry allows larger areas to sweep).

20. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek AMD HD7850
    I'd just like to add a few comments myself. I finished the game a couple weeks ago. I must say, graphics are absolutely amazing. The only thing I regret is that I've been looking at all the screenshots and video demos, that when I played it, i don't think it blew my pants off as it would have. If I have been playing Counter-Strike the whole time and not paying attention to doom 3 reviews, then Im sure switching over to doom3 from there would have given me a heart attack. Like switching from windows 3.1 to XP =)

I agree with the post about doom 3 being realistic with a 1993 gameplay. Gameplay was definitely dissapointing to me. It didn't really require any intelligence, and monsters were too easy to kill.

Graphics, i'd give it a 9/10 (for using low polygon count), but great textures and lighting/shadow.

Gameplay, id give it a 7/10.

Story, i'd give it an 8/10. Was very decent. and the atmosphere definitely draws you into the game and makes you believe in it.

Multiplayer, id give it a 2/10. I definitely find it NOT fun at all. Players move too fast. Its more like a run and shoot type that I don't think utilizes shadows at all. I was expecting something more slow pace, just like single player. And keeping track of your shadow was important, in not giving away your position. Instead its a regular run and shoot with choppy framerates.

Thanks for reading.