DOOM 3 on Voodoo 2 !!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by iRkuN, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    To be honest, i see Quake4 being more like Doom3 "lite".

2. IdentidY

IdentidY Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT
    i mean, i dont despise it, but the storyline is boring and its short, but i like the guns, there real cool :)

3. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Yeah i know what you mean. It is also a bit more linear, and doesn't try to hide it.

4. IdentidY

IdentidY Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7600GT
    yeah well, we should keep the topic posted on doom and not quake, remember its doom 3 on voodoo 2 :)

5. Patriote

Patriote Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 580GTX DirectCUII
    I Agree, have you tryed COd 2 on DX7 it looks a 100 times better than this lol! DX5, nah DX2 lol

6. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    why wont anyone tell me what games run on glide? does anyone know?

7. Agizor

Agizor Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512MB
    I really can't remember... I thought Need For Speed: High Stakes did.. but I am probably wrong. That was prolly DX6 or somthing...

8. d0X

d0X Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2070S Ventus
    it depends on the engine. cod2's engine is made for dx7 and dx9. doom3 is home-conversed from dx9 to dx7 (or lower). you dig what i'm sayin?

9. destroyah3034

destroyah3034 Member Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD7950 3GB
    Just so you know Renegade, Tomb Raider 1, 2, and probably 3 had the Glide option for graphics. I think Descent 3 and/or Freespace ran on glide as well.
    :speed:

Correct me if I wrong, anybody.

10. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    man tomb raider was only good for playstation, i bought all of the origionals and the controls were hell

11. DeMarki

DeMarki Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 570 SoC 1280
    Why wasting time to play this game is such incredibly bad graphics when u could buy a 50$ cpu and run this game properly in low settings?

12. nihilistic0

nihilistic0 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 (760/1100)

If you have to ask.....

Anyways, Unreal 1 runs on Glide I know

edit: its funny how those ****ty graphics make the game look even creepier. Just something about that generation of graphics, yea they weren't 'realistic', but they could look creepy as hell though

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  13. iRkuN

iRkuN Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4850 512MB OC
    I imagine that is simply for the joy of it. Its like spending time and money to make a very old car work again and look good, while with the same money you could just buy a brand new one. Some people enjoy that. Take it as a weird hobby. :rolleyes:

14. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    UT:GOTY also ran in glide mode.

The fact of making the doom3 engine run on 2 voodoos is quite an achievement. Look at it through the nice side, not through the ugly side.

15. extermin8tor

extermin8tor Member Guru

GPU:
    2x8800GTX
    lol, dont dis it, its unbelievable for a voodoo card, i had a voodoo 3 and it worked ok in its time.

quake 4 is even more linear than doom 3, doom 3 had pretty visuals but all it was, was a run around corners and just blast away, kind of like doom 1.

regards

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Heretic 2 ran on glide.....slave zero ran on glide, FF7 ran on glide. Unreal ran on glide...i remember going crazy in the MP on that game with my voodoo5. :speed:

I think draken order of the flame ran glide also, quake 2 ran on it, quake 3 ran on it....etc. Cant forget the mods for the original doom that ran off glide!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  17. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Drakan was Direct3D actually, and Quake2 and 3 didn't run on Glide. They were using an optimised OpenGL driver. If there was a patch to make it fully Glide then i stand corrected. (Like Half Life 1)

18. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Well then there was a mod for it cuz i played Draken in glide! :)

and actually yes quake 2 and quake 3 did run in glide! ID released patches later on to use it.

I remember this because glide always looked better and was faster...i never played a game at the time w/o it if possible.

19. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    The more i look at it, the more i want it, na just kidding, looks like hl1 to me.

Funniest noob post i've ever seen relating to those pics.

Incredible.

So far, hardly anyone seems to have commented on what an absolute slap in the mouth this is to the video card industry. Basically this shows that every card one market is a piece of crap and you are getting robbed blind. If a Voodoo2 can SLI this with 12MB and no T&L, at what looks like some pretty decent FPS, then the difference between this and 6 years of development and technology is TINY. Every new card on the market blows chunks apparently.

I now and forever hate the management at 3dfx. You sissy-boys shoulda sucked it up and fought harder. Instead you bailed. Wimps. You would have ruled the world with tile rendering. John Carmack is an ass, screw him and his 32-bit color.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now run Quake3 in 16bit and 32bit and if u don't see a difference, then ur blind.

Also a card now, would claim over 500-1000fps at that crappy quality and he says the industry hasnt moved on,lmfao.

Does the noob not realise that its only getting 20-30fps because none of the decent effects are present and that with a **** res u can get good fps.

Christ some ppl,lol.

I just ran fear for fun at 640x480 with lowest settings, and it looks better then that crap, and i get max 350fps,lmao.

Someone with a decent processor would destroy it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  20. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    dude...chill out it was just for pure enjoyment...just to see if it was possible to be done. If you take it personal then wow dude just wow....if i had my voodoo cards still id be trying to do the same just to see how it works.