Don't understand this...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by zmokin, Nov 25, 2011.

1. zmokin

zmokin New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GT OC
    Hi all,

I currently have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz, 4 gb memory, 500w ps.

My graphics card is a BFG 8800 GT OC 512mb.

I wanted to upgrade to a new card so I bought the EVGA GTX 550 Ti 1024mb as it was in my price range.

However, the game I was mainly upgrading for (BF3) was very choppy and kept locking up as I was playing.

I went to EVGA to dl latest drivers and did a clean install.

No change. even my regular Windows environment seems to hesitate a lot as I switch windows and run programs.

Put my old card back in and am running the game (and Windows) smooth(er) again.

Both cards were running at 1900x1280 resolution.

The old card is several years old so I can't understand why the new card is running so terrible. The specs just seem so much more advanced, yet...

Anyway, any advice is greatly appreciated as there are some great games coming out and I wanted something a little better than what I have.

2. orion24

orion24 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    The old card will run the game in DX10 mode, while the new in DX11. It is possible that this makes enough difference to make the load higher on the new card. Make sure the game detail level is such that the card can handle. The card you bought is not a very fast one and therefore, only playing at 1900x1280 will need to have relatively low game detail level

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What sort of PSU do you have?

4. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    don't get fooled by the fancy box and commercial argument, sorry to have to say that but the guy who sold you a 550 as a gaming card is a bit of a crook, this is a low grade entry card, he should have sold you a 560 ti at the very least or even maybe a ATI single gpu solution.

hell even a 285 would have been a much better upgrade imho :'(

5. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC
    This is the part that makes me think its not the card thats doing this.

I have the exact same Q6600 CPU as you with 2 gb ram and i just got myself the exact same card except its the FPB edition (upgrade from 8800GTS 512 which is similar to your 8800GT) and i can run BF3 on high settings for the most part with 55-60 fps all the time, but im using windows XP 32 bit so i am using DirectX 9 so that obviously makes a difference.

I know theres a way to run your games in directx 9 even if you have directx 10/11 but im not sure if you want to do that, but it would for sure speed up your games. Look it up on google if you want and see if that works.

But still your windows should not be affected in the way you described, at least not from the card and ive seen benchmarks of the card running BF3 at over 30fps with directx 10/11 at around 1050/1080p as well so thats weird. But 1200p is a bit high for it so maybe thats also the problem.

All i know is that the 550Ti is just over double faster than the 8800 GT/S cards and ive seen the proof in my frame rates side by side pretty much.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  6. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    @KopyKat007
    BF3 on Windows XP...How did you manage that?

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Maybe he meant BF2....? lol

8. Metz

Metz Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 5850 TOP CF
    I have problems with Fermi boards on my motherboard, cheap XFX board i got when x58's first came out. I have emailed XFX about this and they have acknowledged a problem and their engineering department in fact stated the board does not run Fermi chips.

It did the same stuff you highlight in your post. VERY laggy windows experience with input lag and bad hitching hardly able to log into windows. In my case it was something with the card not powering up properly at boot.

Anyways when i read your post it reminded of the issues I had.

9. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC
    Oh sorry i have a secondary hardrive with Windows 7 32 bit, forgot to mention that lol :p

10. yasendi

yasendi Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 590
    This is a Power Supply Issue...I think you may need at least 600W PSU.....Direct X has nothing to do with it

11. Dave1179

Dave1179 Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480X 8Gb
    500W should be enough for a 550Ti. What is the make/model of the PS?

A mate of mine, had the exact same issue with his XFX X58 mobo. The board would not accept an EVGA GTX580. We had the same issues you mentioned. We swopped cards (he now runs my GTX560 sli setup) and I run his GTX580 on my Z68 board. We'll keep it this way untill he upgrades his mobo.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011