Dont like 7700k high temps, dont OC says Intel

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by zer0_c0ol, May 4, 2017.

1. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Well considering that the 7700K is overclocked out the box, I don't see an issue with this statement.

If you want to push it further, then do so at your own risk.

2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
    Never. Period. i5 750 @ 4.0Ghz @ 1.38v 7 years stright. Still going in my friends PC.

3. vase

vase Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It was even marked as official response by Intel Corp...
    Please, inform yourself before you just spread misinfo.

Alberto Villareal who is a Community Hub speaker employed by Intel answered the post.

@Topic:
    It's not a 7700K specific thing.
    My 4790K had strong temp fluctuations up to 85°C which were prevalent even more by only slightly OCing.

Don't OC so much, use better/water cooling, undervolt.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    That's another issue altogether.

Frankly it's the same thing they've always said since K CPUs.

No warranty for running outside of specifications.

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Such clickbait, here is the original post:

That's literally all they said, that they are not taking responsibility for any changes to the processor outside of original specifications. How people got from that to Intel saying "DO NOT OVERCLOCK OUR CHIPS AT ALL" is beyond me.

In fact, Intel offers a special warranty program for overclocking for a mere $30-$50.

https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

6. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    What are the processor specifications for voltage and frequency?

It would be helpful if Intel would tell us that, otherwise the statement is meaningless!

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Ye that voltage part is vague.

Cuz on Auto Volt one board does 1.2 while another does 1.25 and yet another 1.15.

8. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    I'll bet he had a visit to the supervisors office ;)

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Didnt AMD also advised against overclocking the FX 9590 unless you want to fry the thing?

10. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    If someone is going to purchase a i7 7700K would you guys still recommend it?

11. Goutan

Goutan Master Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    I think that a lot of these issues are isolated. I've been running my 7700k at 5ghz since launch week and haven't had any temperature issues.

It seems like a great processor!

12. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    For gaming, yeah.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, tell us after 4 years of heavy use.
    Those temperature spikes are caused by current spikes. Good cooling and software measurement tools may hide effect. But cause is still there.

14. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I wouldn't buy a Kaby CPU, they're an inferior product. Intel are intentionally making them crap, have been since Ivy, and I see no sense in it whatsoever. Yes it might clock high, but thermal performance is abysmal with the crappy TIM. I shouldn't have to break the thing by "delidding" it to make it work as it would if solder were in there. Stupid, really.

15. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    There is news in the wild:
    Intel Could Launch Core i7-7740K and "Basin Falls" Platform at E3.

Intel's immediate answer to AMD's Ryzen challenge, the Core i7-7740K processor and "Basin Falls" platform, could launch on the 12th of June, 2017. Intel is the main sponsor of the PC Gaming Show hosted by PC Gamer magazine, in the backdrop of E3-2017, and we expect it to launch its first product, the Core i7-7740K on the occasion. Intel could announce retail availability of the chips immediately after. The Core i7-7740K launch will be accompanied by a more cost-effective Core i5-7640K, and the X299 Express chipset. Motherboard vendors could announce their first waves of socket LGA2066 motherboards based on this chipset.

Built on the 14 nm "Kaby Lake-X" silicon, the Core i7-7740K is a quad-core processor featuring higher clock speeds than the current i7-7700K. It features a dual-channel integrated memory controller, and lacks integrated graphics. It could feature a 28-lane PCI-Express gen 3.0 root-complex. The only ace up its sleeve is the X299 platform itself, which could be ready for bigger six-, eight-, and ten-core processors with more PCIe lane budgets.

Guess what,they wanna counter-attack Amd Ryzen with an Super-Overclocked Kaby Lake on socket LGA2066.They hope users will spent more money on new platform(again) for an 4c/8t cpus. :infinity:
    Like in Pentium 4 era they wanna more and more GHz in chip.Stupidity at the finest,more GHz,more voltage,more heat.

And users still complains about i7 7700K,who have too much heat and spikes.
    Damn it,Intel board.Old fart CEO need to be fired.

Last edited: May 8, 2017

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If I have a chip like a 7700k that I'm overclocking, I damn well am gonna have the best cooling I could get for it. Simple as that.

A high performance CPU like this you need to tweak everything on it. So for some of these people that did complain about heat, did they undervolt as much as they can? How much voltage did they push into it? What is their cooling?

Fact is as long as you don't pump too much voltage into it that may not even be completely needed, your temps will not suffer nor will the aging of the cpu. I had an Athlon 445 that I ran at 3.8ghz for years, it took that voltage and aged quite well. I could still probably fire it up and have it run at that frequency even.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, the Intel CEO that just drove a record Q1 should be fired. Ok.

18. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Well,even Steve Ballmer was fired after Q1-Q2-Q3-Q4 records. :)
    Why?
    "Ballmer should have exited the stage several years ago, because he has lacked vision...and failed to properly execute. ... Ballmer has been in hot water over Windows 8 [which] many perceive as a flawed release...heavily criticized due to its radically redesigned user interface. ... Microsoft is leaving billions of dollars on the table by not giving users of iPads and Android tablets a full version of Office. ...the controversial and so far not very successful decision to have Microsoft manufacture and brand its own tablet."
    http://www.computerworld.com/articl...ctually-fired--sources-say--so-what-now-.html

Actual Intel CEO has no vision of future,they still have do old bussiness model (e.g. more GHz,no mobile market).They buy Mobileye for 15.3bln,but with actual Intel management hard to tell how wil be.
    The market needs mobility and malleability with the new tech. :)

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Most of the changes happening with Microsoft now started under Steve Ballmer's direction. Either way it's a completely different topic.

As for mobility, when was the last time AMD even had a chip below 15w? It was Puma back in 2014. Core-Ms are regularly being released at 4.5w. The only market they left is like phones and I don't recall AMD announcing any Zen based phone SoCs.

I also disagree about vision for the future. AMD releases 8 core processors and suddenly everyone on Guru3D says "EVERYONE NEEDS AN 8 CORE PROCESSOR" but in reality only a small portion of gamers do and maybe some content creation guys. Intel offers products for those people - granted they are currently priced a little higher, but they also offer a little better performance.

For the mainstream crowd, especially the OEM space, I think those customers would rather have integrated graphics than 2 or 4 more cores. High clock speeds also matter more because the majority of office tasks are single threaded. Just look at Anandtech's Ryzen benchmarks, the 4 core Intel chips pull away in a ton of the office creation stuff and general purpose stuff.

Realistically the only real innovation AMD is doing with Ryzen is giving people more cores at cheaper prices. The idea that Intel CEO is incapable of doing this or should be fired because he sees the market from a slightly different position than AMD does is ridiculous. Intel is moving in the exact same direction as AMD is, it's just 6 months slower out of choice. There was no technical obstruction preventing them from releasing a 6/8 core mainstream part with no iGPU for the past few generations. They just didn't see market for it. And judging by AMD's sales and quarterly outlooks for Q2, it seems there isn't much of a market for it at the moment.

Edit: Don't get me wrong. I think Ryzen is really good and a return to form for AMD. But saying that Intel doesn't know what it's doing because it has a slightly and I mean really slightly different product scope for mainstream is ridiculous.

20. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Was not about Amd & Ryzen,just Intel and their management. :)
    Im on Intel for 15+ years,but this time Intel need changes.

Game Devs still on the run to support 8+ cores Cpu.