Dont install nvidia driver 364.47 its breaking pc's - destructoid

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by CPC_RedDawn, Mar 8, 2016.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Melted Cards? Yeah right.

Installed no problems here. I did a custom install as I do every time though as I only need Audio, the driver and PhysX.

2. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    disable internet, ran ddu, choose custom tick everything including clean install. working perfectly..

3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    You have weigh it up, worth updating drivers for couple increase in fps? probably not. Both AMD and Nvidia seem be struggling with drivers recently. If it ain't broke don't fix it springs to mind.

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/08/nvidia-graphics-driver-hurts-systems/

WCCFtech

5. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Yes.

But what's that got to do with your somewhat strange high end/expensive rig comment?

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Probably not? What do you loose exactly? You can always go back to the driver which worked for you. Even though all drivers from NV are working fine for me and I don't really see how NV is "struggling" with them recently.

7. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    You're not alone mate, I'm still running R355 356.04 Developer drivers rock solid on my 760 and 970. After seeing lots of BSOD's (with or without OC'ed cards) with few GeForce drivers from R353 and R358 branches (never ever had a single BSOD because of drivers or anything else prior to R353 and R358 drivers) decided to settle down for awhile with this "must have latest drivers installed OCD", regularly reading new threads full of problems and complains even from experienced G3D members and it seems to me that I'm gonna wait a bit more before even thinking to change those 356.04 Dev for some newer drivers. Just can't believe how many bugs NVidia has pumped into past 20, 25 drivers and lack of quality control from their side is unbelievable, just look all those complains about 364.47, WHQL obviously doesn't mean anything in past 2 years or so :(

8. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I wouldn't call it OCD, I'd rather stick with older drivers, but in some cases (as with The Division) the newer drivers have optimizations that will make newer games perform better.

Of course, that is sort of a moot point if you can't even get into windows :rolleyes:

9. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Since i got my 1st GeForce card, in 2013 (before, I had used AMD/ATI), I've always run the most updated nVIDIA drivers and I can't say it was a flawless ride; I experienced some minor bugs in the past, mostly related with the Geforce Experience thingy, but that was about it.

As far as the latest drivers 364.xx are concerned, I have no issues whatsoever. Now, I do believe some users, with certain hardware/software configs are getting some problems like the system freezes. But, from that to a "melting cards, serial killer driver", is a long run. The destrutoid article's writer is certainly overreating (and I seriously doubt he's one of those users "that know what they are doing with their PCs"), a "click bait" headline, that's what it is.

10. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    While its not impossible that they could damage cards, I think that is a fairly rare occurrence.

As far as these drivers having some serious issues, I can attest to the fact that they most assuredly do and I hope it gets sorted ASAP.

11. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    "...tick everything"

Isn't that the same thing as express install?

On another note, why disable internet?

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Has happened before:

13. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100
    just to let "worried" people know, that my card didn't freeze, melted or burn... yet. :)

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    It is reported that there is a problem with the EXPRESS INSTALL feature on this driver.

It is recommended to use custom install and then choose "clean install" option.

Or better still use DDU if your comfortable using it.

I have these drivers installed on this rig (see sig <<<) and I used DDU and they are fine, nothing wrong at all.

I have these drivers installed on my ITX rig (i5 4690K, GTX970, 16GB RAM, etc) and I used express install through geforce experience for quickness as I couldn't be bothered.

Since then on my ITX rig I have had the PC freeze up three times on me and when moving the mouse the computer emits a beeping noise from the speakers. Clicking on things does nothing and only a hard reboot fixes the issue.

I have cleaned the drivers with DDU and reinstalled the lastest beta and nothing has happened so far.

15. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Meh cause i'm getting lazy in my old age i sometimes cba to use DDU and just install over the top.

I did that with both these drivers and haven't had a single issue.

I always use custom install and check driver, HD audio, and PhysX only.

That way only the driver is updated unless one of the others is an updated version then of course it will over write that as well.

I never do a clean install because then i lose all my custom monitor/HDTV settings.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Who here rememeber the driver fasaso about 5+ years ago maybe more, where the drivers disabled fans and people cards were overheating as a result and frying?? those drivers were pulled with hours of those reports popping up. It is rare it does happen, but most the time people just saying that to get attention, which why when it really is an issue people dont believe them.

I Will wait till next release this sub color being fixed and AA issue in DX9 being fixed intrested me, but really intrestes me is the "display gpu activity icon in notification area, which will come in handy seeing as of alot of programs update seem to be betting bug where they forcing fullclock speeds when they program it self dont shouldnt be using gpu in firstplace, Avastui.exe had bug like this while back and now so does Setpoint 6.67.83_64.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    What? A **** clickbait site that likes to smear monger with misinformation is doing just that? What a surprise!:stewpid:

You do realize that writing software of this magnitude is a gigantic undertaking and that no one in the history of ever will not have problems pop up commonly.

Especially when you have to support 3+ Operating Systems, dozens of individual GPU base models + the myriad of 3rd party versions of those + the millions of different PC hardware and software combinations. (And whether those people all have the same OS updates installed or other junk)

This applies to both AMD and Nvidia. No one is perfect.

Speaking of Nvidia, they have ways to report bugs and issues
    like this stickied thread
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=404061

If you are seeing BSOD, it's entirely possible it's not just the Driver that is the only contributing factor. It depends on the error code it is giving you.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Problem is, nobody is reading this. Certainly not from Nvidia side, I'd be very surprised. I've seen AMDMatt around way more and more or less frequently than anybody from Nvidia, has been a time they've been around I guess.

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    They are reading the forms submits.

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    My bad... I missed that there's a link for it in there, just read the guru posts. I was wrong, sorry! :)