Don't believe that the latest driver is always the best!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by rgnuyda, Apr 18, 2010.

1. rgnuyda

rgnuyda Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI560GTX Ti Twin Frzr2OC
    We've all heard the very popular recommendation by technical support groups and Read-Me notes on games stating "..for optimal performance update your driver to the latest version." Well i have a 185.85 bundled cd driver and i gotta tell you i keep coming back to this driver. I've tried all whqls from the 190xx series and nothing i repeat nothing even comes close. My only question is why is this? I don't honestly understand these new drivers. BTW i have a GTX275 and as of this writing the latest whql Nvidia is the 197.45.

2. neograniceni

neograniceni Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT 1GB
    197.45 is the worst Nvidia driver I've ever installed. It seems that things are getting worse from release to release. I have no Aero acceleration under W7 x64 on one of my two monitors since 182.50 using GF8800GT. than again, there is no CUDA support with 182.50, and CUDA is essential for CoreAVC I use in my HTPC with 9400GT. I don't even want to mention all that mess with custom resolutions. I really like Nvidia products due to all that great CUDA, VDPAU under Linux stuff etc. But drivers are not so good anymore.

Edit: huh, there actually IS CUDA support with 182.50, but CoreAVC requires at least 191.07.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  3. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    [​IMG]

For my Secondary rig, a Intel Pentium D 805 + 9800gt + 181.20 drivers.
    Crysis All Very High Specs 18-37fps w/AA without AA 25-45 1280x1024
    Jericho AAX2 1280x1024 shaders, Shadows, Textures all High which is max easy 50-104fps. I never got 104 fps with Jericho.
    On another note, Vista seems to give me the best perfect performance over any other OS. Vista IMO is the best OS.

As for drivers, yes the " drivers from the disc that comes with the card " IMHO, is the best drivers to use for your card for best performance. I have tried pretty much every driver for my 9800gt on xp, vista and Win7, the best is 181.20. I have no problems.
    For my PNY GT240 the best is the 191.07, again the ones that come with the disc.

On a last note, the 190 series of drivers seems to be the worse series of drivers never has ever made.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  4. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Sorry , don't want to offend nobody but for me the 197.45 is the real deal.
    The 191.07 was also good the only series that were real bad on my rig was the 195... sreies.

Even the 196.75 was good on my sys. no fan problems for me.

5. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Evga RTX2060 KO
    I must be one of of the odd balls in the group because the newest has always been the best for me.And I havent had a problem with any of the last 20 drivers on two different cards.:)

6. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    The latest drivers will never been the best unless you've got the latest gfx card, that has been my experience. Best performing drivers I've had on this card were the 169.09 ones, but they were ment for vista and they're quite buggy in w7.

7. rocketman1967

rocketman1967 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GT8800 512 SLI
    I have SLI EVGA 8800GT's on a ASUS MB and have noticed a mixed results with new driver updates.

8. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    The latest driver is the best I have yet tried for my card.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Have not tried the .45 driver yet,im still running the .25,will test it when i get more time.

10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Personally, I rarely see a difference in performance in drivers, and when I do it is when I am changing between driver series's, like from 18X.XX to 19X.XX, and even then it is positive. Generally speaking I have higher FPS on all 19X.XX's then 18X.XX's, and I expect it will only get minutely better with 2XX.XX. I'm not sure if it is just a lucky GFX card, or if I am just taking care of my driver installations and OS, but geforce drivers have never givin me a problem, and I have used every version on this thing for the past 2 1/2 years.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Since when?

Latest drivers are awesome compared to the last few sets

12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i reinstalled 197.41 they're faster for me, at least in the lowest fps area and that's what matters to me:nerd:

13. Nuke_Meltdown

Nuke_Meltdown Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 SLI
    If you play the latest games then yes, most of the time the latest driver is the best (SLI support, optimizations, etc.) to go with...

I'm playing BFBC2 on 197.45WHQL and they are the best driver i've tried yet, And i'm pretty sure we'll see better ones in the near future...

In the past i've seen only two issues (Current config) which needed to roll back to previous driver, Crysis (Flashing textures) and BIAHH (AA & SLI issue), not a big deal...

Remember, they are releasing drivers to fix problems not to create new ones, reminds me an old Shattered Horizon stuttering issue who took at least 6 driver release to fix it and they finally did it...I think it was the 195.XX or 196.XX...

14. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    The only people with problems with Nvidia drivers these days are usually the guys that have custom this and custom that or use some rare program that not many people use then they make the blanket statment that the drivers are so bad when in fact if they gamed like normal gamers using normal resolutions it would work perfectly. That or guys will cry about some game that was released back in 1996 that dosen't work right anymore. Like gimmie a break here....

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Actually, I just finished Abe's Exoddus today, a pre-2000 game... on windows 7 :p

16. juampii

juampii Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX480 @ 850 / 2000
    agree

197.45 = very good

17. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I just tested the 197.45 with Jericho on VISTA32bit, i lose about 30% of performance, i go back to using the drivers off the disc i get that 30% back. Either with new games, the older drivers for my card seems to work the best. I think the drivers from the CD will always be the best for your card.

Now with ATI, this is a different story. I never had any issues with new ati drivers. I always believe that ATI drivers are better than Nvidia anyway. Just my views.

18. juampii

juampii Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX480 @ 850 / 2000
    sorry, but no, that is impossible and not true at all.
    maybe with some especial app or game with certain card and os you can experience better performance, but new ones improves a lot.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    And dont believe the word of any user of a driver applies to all.

current 197.45 driver poll:

Better than last driver?

Better: 105
    About same: 31
    worse: 18

20. Shebeski

Shebeski New Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 850MHz
    Totally false. The driver that comes with your card is just the latest driver at the time of making the disk.

You lose frames because you don't clean your drivers properly or maybe it's because Jericho was a poorly made port?