Don't AMD CPU's give good performance at default speeds?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Paraman, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Paraman

Paraman Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4850
    I read about everyone oc'ing their AMD's and how much of a performance boost they get. What I want to know is that doesn't one get a good performance at the default clock speed? Does one have to overclock to get good performance?

I am thinking of going in for an AMD system but not for the latest processor. I won't go beyond 3200+ or at the most 3500+. So will I get a performance increase from my current 2.4GHz Intel?

Happy New Year to all fellow Guru's:cheers:

2. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO 256MB @6
    Compared to 2.4ghz - not that much. But 3200+ will perform as good as 3.2ghz p4 and better.
    And you don't have to overclock to get good performance, it's just a bonus ;)

3. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    Overclocking comes in handy once you get SLI or a high-end graphics card, 7-Series for example, especially with a 3200+. If you have a 6-series with that, I don't see why an overclock would be necessary.

4. Paraman

Paraman Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4850
    What do you mean exactly? On one hand you have written that compared to 2.4 I won't get that much of a boost and in the next sentence you have written that a 3200+ will perform as a 3.2ghz P4. If a 3200+ performs as a 3.2ghz then it is a huge boost isn't it?

@chazly413
    I am not buying a SLI mobo. I was thinking of ASUS A8N-E. As for the graphics card, well I have my heart set on the XFX 6800GS XXX Edition. The one which is factory oc'ed. So are you saying that for such a system on overclock won't be necessary? That I will get good performance at default settings too?

Thanks.

5. Dzhedaj

Dzhedaj Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X800GTO 256MB @6
    Well, when upgrading from 2.4ghz to 3.2 ghz, I don't think there is such a huge performance boost :)
    Of course if you get more memory, a better vid card and so on, the boost is quite big. But the cpu alone doesn't provide that much of a performance leap :)