Dolby Digital and gtx 470

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TeMatoJuice, Apr 3, 2011.

1. TeMatoJuice

TeMatoJuice New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte nVidia gtx470
    I have an older AVR and need know how to change the format that windows xp pro 64bit uses to dts. Its the only format i have gotten anything from my pc to use 5.1 surround sound with my avr using hdmi. That was with VLC -> options -> Audio(tab) / and setting it to directx audio output and check use s/pdif if available, then my avr says "Dolby Digital 3/2" and I get surround sound. all other settings with VLC make my AVR say "pcm 48" and i get 2.1 audio. I got this avr because it uses dts, and it did work just fine with VLC media player and mentioned settings.

EDIT:I am trying to get it to use DTS while playing CS:S and Darkfall and i couldn't find a way to change anything other than speaker configuration.

EDIT:I guess i should have looked into if it was even possible to get more than 2.1 audio from those games, which was hinted at, i guess... and it is not... even with 5.1, darkfall and cs:s will only output 2.1 @ pcm 48

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  2. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Just use MPC Home Cinema instead, better in every way. And upgrade to Win7, stop using ancient software as OS. ;)

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You won't get DTS from your games unless your soundcard supports DDL.

Otherwise you'll only get 2.1 thru bitstreaming.

What I'm saying is that the source has to be encoded in DTS unless the soundcard can convert it, your receiver will only decode it.

I'm guessing the movie you watched was DTS encoded...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    dp..

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

5. TeMatoJuice

TeMatoJuice New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte nVidia gtx470
    well, my xbox runs hdmi and it passes dts 5.1 to the avr... but its as you say, when its already in dts... alternatively, i did upgrade to windows 7, but it recognizes the tv and won't let me set the speakers to 5.1... somewhat agrivating... is there some way to bypass this... maybe manual install of driver.... gotta learn new os all over again... and i love the feature that tells you when any program is accessing the hdd XD security is nice

6. TeMatoJuice

TeMatoJuice New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte nVidia gtx470
    thats great for watchin movies, which i'll do with my xbox... not my pc... what i was running in VLC was a dts test... alternatively if i could still use DOS, i would. i guess its just a difference of personality

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011