Dogs versus cats: Scientists reveal which one is smarter

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Jun 20, 2018.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -----
    Does not matter which one is smarter i love them all :p

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    The dog cerebral cortices they measured had twice the neurons of the cat ones they measured which means... absolutely nothing. Every dog I've had has been 2x dumber than every cat I've ever had. I have a 2 month old Maine Coon/Siamese hybrid kitten, it learns and responds to commands better than my Shitzu/Poodle hybrid which happens to be smarter than every other dog I've had. I've had another Siamese cat before, and an Angora, both were smarter than all the dogs I've had and it wasn't close.

Most people don't even bother to try to train cats. They can be trained just like dogs.

Keitosha and -Tj- like this.
  4. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570

Need i say more?

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Birds are smarter than both. ;)

airbud7 likes this.
  6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    And humans are about 100x dumber than that. Hm, I see a pattern here... :p

Jonnyboy, Clawedge and airbud7 like this.
  7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Never seen a drug or bomb sniffer cat yet :D

Always been a dog person so might be a bit biased but my last two dogs have been super intelligent, a collie I lost earlier in the year and a Jack Russell / Terrier cross we still have now, both really surprised me with certain things they could do and how fast you could teach them something new, and even without teaching them they would pick up on phrases and words that meant something to them, we would keep changing phrases for "Go for a walk" to things that only made sense to us but after a couple times of saying it they would learn what it meant

Dogs are supposedly colour blind but I managed to teach mine to go get her blue ball, red ball, yellow ball, maybe could see different shades but still got the correct one each time, the little terrier will get certain toys you tell her to get, even if you tell her it's upstairs she'll go up to look, before the collie died she had a breathing problem and would cough sometimes, within a day or two I had her learn what "Get your water" meant, and she'd go get a drink, even to the point where when she coughed she'd go get one herself knowing I was about to tell her

If she farted she'd leave the room :D Because she knew she was about to get told "Pheeewww, OUT!" :D

When the gf is coming back from work I`ll run a bath and put the kettle on for her, they knew what that meant very quickly and would go sit by the front window waiting

If they were out the back and she walked past the back street on her way home, they would start barking and jumping at the door, the street she walked past is 3 houses away, no way could they know it was her, but they always did

Watched a documentary about a sort of IQ test for dogs where they did things like drop some food from a height onto a table with the dog standing on the floor watching, if the dog dropped it's eyes to the floor to find the food it failed that test, if it knew it had landed on the table even though it could no longer see the food, it passed, stuff like that

AsiJu, Noisiv and airbud7 like this.
  8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Dogs are pack animals, cats are not.

Intelligence is irrelevant as people will decide whether they want to be the Alpha, or whether they want to be owned by a cat (seriously - cats own you, and train you to do their bidding).

Ulenn, Keitosha, airbud7 and 2 others like this.
  9. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -----
    So true :D

lmimmfn and airbud7 like this.
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    That dog is not normal and has issues. Nothing more to say.

Extraordinary and airbud7 like this.

11. Cockbender

Cockbender Master Guru

GPU:
    dunno
    i had a persian cat once, and i swear she was bipolar. she would come up to you purring, let you pet her, walk back and forth against your leg as you pet her more, purring more , . . . . then turn around, rear back and RRRRAAAAHHHHHRRRRRR and swat at your hand with both paws (claws extended) and sink her teeth in, draw blood, then run away.

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Cats are fun to troll though :p

13. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Key point is though that I don't need to walk my cats.

I mean I can. They don't like it though

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Where are they 'attempting'?

All I see is them thinking "where the **** is the food?"

15. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I would say dogs are clearly, yes clearly, more intelligent than cats Yes there are the occasional ones that make you wonder if they have any brains at all, but the same thing is applicable to some humans! :D

We can have a serious conversation about that the day cats:
    • Can help the blind navigate around.
    • Assist the military in detecting IEDs by being trained on 12 basic odours.
    • Respond to a seizure in someone who has epilepsy.
    • Ace animal cognition tests.
    • Increase environmental awareness for deaf people.
    • Assist people with limited mobility.
    • Can detect dropping in or low blood sugar.
    When training can be provided, training were provided and the results documented. Look at all the great examples where gorillas have learnt sign languages & can solve simple puzzles, or dolphins showing signs of self awareness, helping humans in trouble & again... problem solving, or crows using tools within their environment as a mean to an end.

To say cats cannot do the things dogs can because 'they weren't given the chance' isn't very clever.

airbud7 likes this.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    [​IMG]

17. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1660Ti
    Cats are too cool to be enticed to do things for tiny snacks, they don't give a damn.

We just got a new kitten, seriously clever thing

Mitzi when we first got her

[​IMG]

Now about four weeks older

[​IMG]

386SX, Ulenn, Jonnyboy and 2 others like this.
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, brain matters. Look at chihuahua, likely most demented animal there is. Any cat is smarter than that, because those tiny dogs have peanuts brains.
    Dogs learn hundreds of words, know people by names. You can ask your dog to bring particular family member to you. And you can do it by using many different wordings.
    Their abstract thinking is well developed. Not only knowing that they see themselves in mirror, but understanding that you talk about them without mentioning their name in sentence. It is enough that you are describing actions they did.

Cats are not stupid, but their limit is lower than that of normal sized dog.

airbud7 likes this.
  19. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I like that my cat is independent and has a mind of her own and that is what defines her and why I always prefered having a cat over a dog because dogs can be much needier then cat.
    My little cat Hannah
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ulenn, airbud7 and big ROBOT bill like this.
  20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    1. Cats are vile and sneaky and devious creatures that can be cute when it suits them.
    2. Dogs are cute and intelligent and smart. And everyone knows that.

As to who wins - draw your own conclusions :D :D

[​IMG]

lmimmfn and airbud7 like this.