1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog sleighing in Canada

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by cartdog, Jul 13, 2010.

1. cartdog

cartdog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti H20
    Hey fellas,

Ok as the title says, Im looking at some info on sleying in canada. Has anyone been and if so where and for how long. Im looking at about 1 week or abit longer. Just some basic information or ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Dog Sledding, sliding on frozen water pulled by dogs!

Dog sleying:

Sleying involving dogs?

lol

3. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    sleighing is what he was trying to say but yeah sledding is accurate too.

Anyway I've never been but you might do a google search for "Alaskan highway dog sleighing or sledding". The alaskan highway is absolutely beautiful, well worth the drive. I'm very certain that you'll be able to find a few places along it. To get the most out of driving the highway, you'll want a copy of "the milepost" & maybe a geology book on it if you can find one.

However, you might want to take a gun (12 gauge with slugs or .340) in case you bump into a bear. When I went up there with my family we almost had to break out the weapon. A RV had stopped in the road and was taking photo's of a black bear that was sniffing in their wheel wells. A passenger started to get out to take a photo, but the bear turned around when he opened his door to get out. The bear then climbed up the front windshield before it tore off a windshield wiper & slid off. They finally decided they had had enough and managed to drive off at that point so we didn't have to kill anything or nominate some folks for the Darwins.

4. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Sounds like a ruff sport. :p

5. spamkebab

spamkebab Member Guru

GPU:
    inno3d 480gtx
    Dog slaying...in china. I believe they make furry soup.

6. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I fixed your title, maybe it'll help you get more serious replies - although I think you would be better off asking on a more suitable forum.

7. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    I have been on a few trips its ok I guess.... But i dont recommend ever close to one those suckas trained to have on the go bathroom runs

8. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    I've done it, only a short 3 day trip though. I did it in Quebec, can't remember the name of the place though. Warm clothes are a given.
    As the driver: The dogs do and will listen to you! Be assertive though, when these things start pulling they really don't want to stop! Mash on the brakes are hard as you have to. Eye goggles highly recommended.
    As the passenger: Relax! Be careful of flying dog poop, it happens.

All in all, really fun. If you love dogs, you will absolutely love it. By the time I left I had all their names memorized. Would definitely do it again.

(inb4 stereotypical Canadian!)

9. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    That made me laugh dude :D

Anyway sounds like a fun idea, hope you will have good time!

10. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I had a lot of fun dog sledding at Algonquin Park a few years back. Albeit, falling off the sled due to ice wasn't cool 'cuz I have to chase the dogs every few minutes 'cuz it was just that slippery.

There's no dog sledding until late November to late January as that's usually snow season.

deltatux