Does turning FXAA ON in the Nvidia Control Panel supplement or replace in-game AA?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BlindBison, May 24, 2019.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Does turning FXAA ON in the Nvidia Control Panel supplement or replace in-game AA?

For example, in the game RAGE, I can enable FXAA in the control panel, but the in-game, the title has MSAA options.

If I turn ON fxaa in the control panel, but also turn on MSAA in-game, will both be active at the same time? Or, does the FXAA override the in-game setting so that no MSAA is used?

Ideally I'd have both active at the same time.

Thanks for your help and time.

2. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Yes both will be active at the same time.
    Make sure you don't set your global profile to on or your desktop will be slightly blurred from the post process filter.

BlindBison, fluidz and cryohellinc like this.
  3. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Thanks! That's helpful -- OK i'll be sure to only set FXAA ON for specific applications.

4. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @Spets Sorry to post in this ye old thread again, but is what you stated above still true if the game has its own FXAA option available?

So, for example I believe Dark Souls 3 is using FXAA of some sort internally -- if I enable the in-game FXAA then also enable the control panel FXAA do they "stack" or will the Nvidia Control Panel one "override" the in-game option?

I wanted to clarify this as above we were discussing if the in-game option uses something like MSAA while you then use the Control Panel FXAA which could maybe be somewhat of a different scenario, I'm unsure. Thanks,

Here for example they seem to be claiming that control panel FXAA will override/replace the in-game option: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/do-i-need-to-turn-on-fxaa-in-nvidia-control-panel-too.3338203/#:~:text=The nvidia control panel FXAA,should do the same thing.

Here though Raiz3600 seems to be saying the opposite (that they "stack" with each others): https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...ivers/13/150711/fxaa-control-panel-vs-ingame/

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It will "stack" for sure.

BlindBison likes this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    be better of using reshade smaa for DS3

BlindBison likes this.
  7. BlindBison

BlindBison Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    @Cyberdyne @Astyanax Thanks! That’s great to know.

Astynax, I hear you — I honestly wish Nvidia would just add an SMAA option to their control panel at this point given it’s superior as far as I’m aware.