Does the being a gamer becoming a bad thing or shameful with age?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by fr33jack, Mar 16, 2015.

?

Does the being a gamer becoming a bad thing or shameful with age?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. No

124 vote(s)
    83.2%
  3. I don't know...

9 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    I just turned 42 recently and never once did it cross my mind on that day as to just why i still game. My kids are all gamers and all own consoles, tablets, phones. My wife loves fighting games and enjoys nothing more than kicking my face in. Gaming is a household passion and we even all get together and watch E3 live every year to see what we are all to be excited about that year on pretty much every single platform there is.

If there's ever one thing she has learned about me it is purely that if I spend even just an hour or two doing that that I love ie primarily gaming whatever I do the rest of the time I do in a fashion that is all or nothing. I'm more relaxed and much more open to doing fun things. My wife and I take long country walks for hours holding hands still, my kids get to see me being silly at the park. Always making time for your passions as well as your responsibilities is the way to go. Am i thinking about gaming when doing other things? Of course I do. It's no different than playing a song you heard and enjoyed over and over in your head to me.

Gaming has helped keep both my mind and spirit feeling young and my family all see the benefits of it on pretty much a daily basis.

I game therefore I am. Great thread btw. :)

2. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra
    Some people like movies, some people like to read books, some people like to watch T.V.
    I like to play games (and all of the above ;)) it's a hobby like any other.

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Brothers, you are NEVER to old to game!

4. Trophy225

Trophy225 New Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 295X2
    Actually i think gaming saved my marriage, Ive always been into gaming of some sort right back to the Amstrad CPC464 in the 80s right through to all the Amigas etc, my first pc was a 386 sx33 but anyway ive also always been into football and being out with my mates to an extent that i insisted on getting married on a Friday so i wouldnt miss the game on Saturday but this carried on passed my wedding in 1999, my wife tolerated it until i got arrested a couple of times at away games and sometimes i wouldnt even go home. Enough was enough for her and she said i had to find something less troublesome or she was gone!! A lad i worked with played Battlefield 2 in a clan so i got interested and joined and low and behold i find myself here, looking for answers as to why BF4 crashes while loading levels!! Im 51 by the way :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I am 48 and from a generation that saw the rise in popularity of the home computer (Commodore 64, Spectrum and BBC Micro, etc) and video gaming, which was seen very much seen as something kids did. My generation has now grown into a era where playing games is seen as a perfectly normal thing to do (helped significantly by the Wii and now tablets/smartphones).

I feel no shame in admitting I play and enjoy games, any more than I do watching TV shows or movies and listening to music. I am single though so I not only have a lot of time for my hobbies but also a higher disposable income than most.

6. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI DUKE OC
    47 here and I will be gaming 'till the end :)

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I'd want to know who actually voted yes.

8. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Of course not. Some people go shoot pool, bar hopping, play poker or have a girls/guys night out every other week with their friends despite their age.

So you have a hight tech hobby that is outside of those activities yet also include a social network, friendship building, skill development, mental awareness and you don't harm anyone.

Whats wrong with that?

Anybody that judges you but don't allow to be judged should STFU.

As a friend of mine says "If a man has no hobby, there is something wrong with his life. If his hobby is shared among friends and family, and he comes home, that is great. If his hobby is outside of his friends and family, then that is wrong."

Just think if you spent all your money on women and drugs instead. :D

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  9. Cockbender

Cockbender Master Guru

GPU:
    dunno
    40yrs old and still gaming. got my daughters into it now too :) :) :)

10. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    If you haven't noticed games have gotten more realistic and because of that it has attracted older people.

In the future i guarantee the average gamer age is even higher as tech advances and we live longer.

Plus gaming is a form of entertainment like movies are.

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Gaming since around 1970/1980, owned lots of different machines over the years. Was also a hardcore arcade player back in the golden age of the coin op era. I dont play as much now but I still play and will.continue to play.

12. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1660Ti
    A good band of comrades we are! :)

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Yeah that is somewhat strange, considering this is a tech site with a heavy element on gaming hardware it does seem like we were just trolled by 12 voters, (lol), or are there people who only upgrade to i7 and sli titans to do the monthly household budget. lol

But my heart soars reading this thread, and usually i have to take a little blue pill for it to do that, on special occasions, you know what i am talking about guys........right.........erm, did i say that out loud.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Nothing wrong with gaming as long as it doesn't interfere with your real life (and as long as you have one alongside gaming... ;)

Surely there are a lot of worse things you can do in your freetime.

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Try the red pill next time and see what's Matrix like ;)

16. Wolf9an9

Wolf9an9 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 Gaming
    I am 67 and still game almost every day. Currently playing Dying Light.

I started gaming when the original Atari 2600 came out, then on the Commodore 64, then on a PC with mono monitor without a hard drive and only two 360Kb floppy drives.

Then onto my first "proper PC", a Pentium 100Mhz with a 100MB hard drive and a dedicated Video card with 1K memory playing the original Doom. That's when I started building all my own (and other's) pc's.

Have been retired for a few years now after a lifetime in the electronics field and only upgrade when really needed now, like my last upgrade of replacing my GTX 580 with a GTX 970 to double my graphics performance.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
  18. shadzovgra

shadzovgra Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 295x2 8Gb
    Gaming for older people!!! Great idea. Helps to keep the brain thinking quick and stops those stiff finger knuckles from getting too sore. You know how it is. Either use it, or lose it. The one big rule that very much applies to age.

19. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
  20. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    In 40 years from now, all the old ignorant people will be dead and gaming will be universally acepted as a form of legit entertainment as movies and music. Until then, stay true to yourself, don´t be affected by prejudice, and if necessary don´t be afraid to tell someone who´s bitting your free will to go **** themeselves. Gaming is awesome no matter the age. Gaming is love, gaming is life...:)