1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Replacing my OS HD cause...

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by ortizol1, Jun 13, 2018.

1. ortizol1

ortizol1 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 8gb
    If i were to replace my primary hard drive that contains my operating system with a new one, such as an SSD im thinkin of getting.Will it cause my other 2 storage hard drives to have some compatibility issue requiring me to reformat them cuz screw redownloading 1tb+ of games. No cables or order change would happen just 1 HD for another.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Only way for compatibility issue I see is to install OS which will not understand file system on those 2 storage hard drives.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc.... won't redownload the games if you point the installation directory to the correct place. It will run the installation process for each one when launching them for the first time but that should be it.

4. Passus

Passus Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    No you'll just obviously need a fresh install of windows

The other drives will be the same as they were except maybe different drive letters but contents the same

as the guy above said steam and tht stuff will find the games and just register them

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    Why fresh install I cloned mine and just carried on.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  6. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD
  7. Passus

Passus Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Doesn't really make much difference these days, on an SSD windows install only takes 20 - 30 mins

I just back up my docs, vids, pics, save games to another drive, install and copy over then its the same as before

8. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    Actual install maybe but it always takes me days to get things the way I like them and stuff installed.I haven't done a fresh install since 8.1 lol.

Passus likes this.