Does Ram speed affect frametime?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Dener de Paula Pereira, May 12, 2019.

1. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    Dont know if mentioned already but BF5 is heavily benefitting from higher ram speed.

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    The thread would have been better stated as can faster RAM, increase game performance. The obvious answer is yes and there are numerous benches, I believe a few here on G3D that show this. The sweet spot previously for bang for the buck seemed to be around 3200mhz. Going from stock 2133, to that 3200, saw some significant gains in some titles with diminishing returns. I'm sure with somewhat faster processors and increasing resolutions and textures needing to be streamed, that window has shifted to faster and lower latencies.

Okay? I mean wouldn't that be a matter of making a craptastically poor choice in memory for that to occur, by choice?

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    The answer is yes, but it can vary based on platform. For dual channel setups, then memory speed tends to have a much bigger impact than on quad channel systems. I've tested performance on my system with various RAM speeds, from 2133 to 3400, and there was very little performance increase. But I'm on the X99 platform that has quad channel memory.

4. hemla

hemla Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    What would be better for Intel G4560 on B250M motherboard, single RAM stick with fastest timings or dual-channel two RAM sticks with slow timings? Also, would 4+8GB make 8GB work in dual and 4GB in single, how would performance look when using less than 8GB and how would it look when using more than that? How would computer know which part of RAM to use for system and which to use for applications(like games)?

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Dual channel will only work with modules of the same size.

6. hemla

hemla Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    flex mode

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Why would you intentionally purchase and use non-standard memory configs? There's only one answer if you're purchasing new and not enough information if you're trying to mix modules.

8. hemla

hemla Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    I am only asking

9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    4+8GB would make it dual channel for 4+4GB, and the remaining 4GB in single channel. I've tried searching for comparisons myself, but found none.

In general, the widespread RAM recommendations are overblown. Yes, you should get identical RAM modules when buying a new PC, but when you're looking at getting more RAM five years later and can't find the same sticks, it's just a chore.

I've mixed various RAM sticks since LGA 775, different sizes and different brands, and it has always worked and CPU-Z has reported dual channel working. The one time it hasn't worked from the start and the PC refused to even get to the BIOS screen, it was solved by updating the BIOS (which was release BIOS).

As for RAM speed itself, the performance difference is more obvious when looking at older platforms.
    There's a clear step up in performance when going from 1333 Mhz to 2133 Mhz on Sandy Bridge.
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k

Looking at a somewhat more modern platform, even the i7 7700k showed a notable performance increase in a couple of games.
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-review

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hmm never really thought about this so 4x4 for 16gb at 2400mhz is better choice then 8x2 for 16ghz at 2400mhz honestly i not even sure what is bad timing for ram, I just look for the ram with the lowest CL rating

11. Smough

Smough Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Frame time on itself would be roughly the same across different RAM speeds. If a game has an average of 16.5 to 17.8ms frametime for example and if you use RivaTuner to get 16.6ms then a much faster RAM won't change this. What will change are micro stutters, frame rate drops and you will have an fps boost in general. Faster RAM will give you higher frame rate numbers average, but it's not like it will give perfect frame timings at all games.