Does Nvidia Control Panel GPU Scaling also Improve Image Quality when Downscaling in Windowed Mode?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Dec 29, 2023.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    First off, is the Nvidia Control Panel GPU Scaler (the one for the "Scale and Sharpen" setting) a Spatial Upscaler like FSR 1? I know that Nvidia Image Scaling which can be integrated into games directly is a spatial upscaler so I'm "guessing" the GPU scaler in the control panel is also a spatial upscaler? Typically this would be used for upscaling not downscaling -- in fact, I've never heard of anyone trying to use it this way.

Anyway, normally this question wouldn't matter because if you want to downscale you'd use DLDSR. But the thing is I've noticed a number of, especially Japanese, games on PC that do not support fullscreen mode, but instead you must use Borderless Windowed mode. These games do have downscaling options in their settings, but the quality seems surprisingly poor. So poor compared to DLDSR that I assume they're just doing a bilinear downscale or something simple like that. Final Fantasy 7 Remake is one such example of a game with these built in downscale options and no fullscreen mode for DLDSR.

What I'm wondering is, would enabling GPU Scaling change the downscaling algorithm to a better one? What I tried doing was enabling GPU Scaling + a mild amount of Sharpen (20%) since I find FF7 Remake's TAA resolve to look a bit on the soft side to my eye (though I question whether Nvidia's control panel sharpen is as good as AMD CAS as a side note). Even without any sharpen the image resolve "seems" slightly different, but I'm thinking maybe it's placebo. Sure wish I could just use DLDSR RIP. Thanks guys,

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no

BlindBison likes this.
  3. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    RIP, that's a pity -- I always wondered if "Spatial upscalers" like FSR 1 could improve image quality VS a bilinear or bicubic upscale filter then maybe it would give an at least "different" image quality if you downscale. Er, perhaps they simply don't work that way going off what you're saying.

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yes.

No.
    GPU scaling does UPscaling which won't have any effect on how games do their own DOWNscaling.
    Combining both can lead to some interesting results but you'd need to use a high quality options for both - DLSS+DLDSR for example.