Does Hz realy mean any thing in a gaming monitor?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by wilson44512, Dec 27, 2014.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i would go after the vn247h simple cause other monitor is 5ms

2. angmar

angmar Guest

I don't think 120hz monitor is worth it as most games won't even get 120 fps unless your turning the graphics way down. If you can get one thats not much more than a 60 go for it otherwise it seems more like a waste of money. I can't stand screen tearing so I have to have vsync on and I know my 290x cannot play games remotely close to 120 fps reliably so personally I wouldn't bother.

3. wilson44512

wilson44512 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    im running a R9 290 and im getting 70 to 80 fps in some games. so with vsync on does that cap at 60 fps?

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    120hz will significantly reduce visible tearing. You don't need to run 120fps on a 120hz monitor to benefit from this. 120hz monitors or faster are great even if you don't achieve 120fps.

5. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    I went from a fairly high end (for it's time) 40" Samsung TV to a 144hz "gaming" monitor (BenQ 2720Z) and I was amazed at the difference. Even games like Crysis 3 where I get no where near 144hz are well smoother than on the TV but on games like CS:GO and Alien:Isolation where I can sustain 144hz the effect is unreal.

Even the desktop feels "snappier" but I wouldn't just get a higher hz monitor just for that lol

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It doesn't matter that the tearing exists. All that really matters is whether or not the user can actually see it. I'm one of the lucky ones that doesn't see it (most of the time). I know it's there, but since I don't actually see it, it doesn't bother me. There will always be some degree of screen tearing, so long as you're exceeding the refresh rate of the display. Doesn't matter if you're on a 30hz, 60hz, 120hz, 144hz or 10,000hz display. IF you can exceed it's refresh rate, there will be screen tearing. All that really matters is whether or not you actually see it. Hard to complain about that which you never see. Even G-Sync isn't completely eliminating screen tearing. It's just reducing it to the point where 99.9% of the human population should never be able to see it under normal circumstances.

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yep, you're holding your card back, like i was, as i went from 60Hz to 144Hz, a good few months ago now, and now im hitting frames in the hundreds v-sync'd, instead of a locked 60 v-sync'd, plus, everything is much more smoother, i really didn't expect the difference to be so big, but its massive, i noticed the difference straight way.

Can even play some games with v-syn'c off now, as at 144Hz, i can't notice any tearing, as its been hugely reduced, Metro LL for example, thats locked at 60 v-sync'd, even on 144Hz, but i can now play that with v-syn'c off, as i can't notice any tearing, and im htting 100+ fps in places, on my old 60Hz screen with v-sync off, i just couldn't play it for the massive tearing, a higher refresh also helps mouse lag, i could never go back to 60Hz now, as its a stuttery mess, which i didn't realise, until i went higher. :p

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  8. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    This, I don't hit 120fps is most games (bar CS:GO) but I do hit over 60 in the games i play and it allows me to remove Vsync as it's no longer refreshing faster than my Monitor so reduces tear immensely while giving me a much smoother feel in my games.

now in something like CS:GO if i swap between 60hz and 120hz, 60hz feels like 30fps...no **** and it's quite nasty to play. now 120hz to 144hz (feels like some one just picked a random number there tbh) I can't say, some swear buy it, I'm not convinced but then I can't get to 144hz and neither can my games :). All I can say is over 100hz everything feels nicer to use overall.

I wouldn't buy a 60hz monitor again after this even though my 1080p resolution is still bugging me (down sample helps a little bit) but I'll be waiting for some more affordable 1440p@120hz screens before i replace this one (Iiyama ProLite G2773HS).

9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    G-sync is working per games ( well when the driver detect a game is launched )... It will not have any impact on desktop. ( or when you are not in fullscreen mode ( maybe they will correct it then, i dont know if it is a technical problem or just driver one )

I think this the panel who is allready pretty quick on response time / input lag who have impact there and give you this feeling.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yep, 120hz, 144hz, they don't remove tearing. Tearing becomes less visible at high refresh rates, you won't see massive full screen tears like you do on a 60hz monitor. I call it micro tearing, where the tearing still occurs, only it's a lot less intrusive and a lot less noticeable compared to 60hz monitors. This is why I never use vsync in games where I can run high refresh rates.

11. wilson44512

wilson44512 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB
    i went and got the AOC 27" 1080p LED Monitor. and the picture looks so much better for some reason. so thatnks every one for ya input

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Tearing happens whenever the GPU and the monitor are not in sync. VSync off means they are not in sync, so tearing happens on every frame, regardless of whether your FPS is above or below the refresh rate. Unless a frame is presented at exactly the moment the monitor starts updating the first top-left pixel, every frame will have a tear line. Nvidia have explained this well in their G-Sync slides.

G-Sync does eliminate tearing, not reduce it. The monitor starts its refresh cycle when the GPU tells it to. That means the frame the GPU is presenting to the monitor is displayed exactly as-is, and there will be no tear line. It's impossible to have tearing when the display is synchronized to the GPU.

VSync eliminates tearing by having the GPU synchronized to the display, waiting for the display to start refreshing. Syncing in the opposite way just solves all the other issues, such as frame duplication-induced VSync stutter when FPS does not match refresh rate.

Tearing is visibly reduced at higher refresh rates since every frame will have a tear line in one spot for a shorter amount of time. Locking FPS at 60FPS @ 60Hz or at 120FPS @ 120Hz you will see the tearline appear in about the same spot on the screen and in that scenario tearing will be the same. This example is provided to explain that tearing still occurs at whatever refresh rate as long as the monitor and GPU are not in sync, only that it's more distributed as you go higher and the tear line spends a shorter time in one place.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  13. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    so i have a doubt about this, i'm planing to upgrade my system when amd releases their new card, but meanwhile i'm staying with my gtx 770 and buy a good but old 120hz monitor like the Benq XL2420T, so i will ask this:

on first place i will be running at 1080p forever because for me fps matter, no matter if i need to low the quality on the game, but i don't want to waste a lot of money on expensive sli/crossfire rigs,

So, for example, if my game can run at 60 fps, those 60fps are the same as on a 60hz monitor or they are better on a 120hz monitor like the Benq XL2420T, like runnig a 60+ fps premium, and what about 30 fps locked games like L.A nOire or Dead rising 3, how is the feel bro?, for example as a former console gamer 30 constant fps on 3rd person games on a 60hz give you the sensation of smoothness but, this will feel better on a 120hz monitor.

I have a samsung syncmaster SM2333W 1080p 60hz monitor, i bought it in 2008, should i upgrade to a 1080p 3D + 120hz monitor?