Does Flash Player Hardware Acceleration cause BSODs for you ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Extraordinary, Sep 8, 2014.

?

Do you experience BSODs with Hardware Acceleration enabled in Flash Player?

1. Answer: Yes Firefox

26.8%
  2. Answer: Yes Chrome

19.6%
  3. Answer: Yes IE

8.9%
  4. Answer: No Firefox

37.5%
  5. Answer: No Chrome

42.0%
  6. Answer: No IE

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    After talking to a few people who are not affected by this, it would be good to get an accurate idea of just how many people get BSODs when hardware acceleration is enabled in flash player

EDIT - AMD GPU users only

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce R9 380
    For those who do not know where the option is to turn on / off " Hardware acceleration " , this link will instruct you on the procedure to change the setting and what the window looks like.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help01.html

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html < How to use the Adobe Flash settings manager.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager02.html < Page one of the settings Adobe Flash manager

3. onemoar

onemoar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    this has been a issue with every generation of AMD cards since the 4000 series
    AMD fixxes it with a driver patch every generation ... eventually

4. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I have never seen it happen.

5. MTSeldon

MTSeldon Member

GPU:
    Asus R 290 / 4Gb
    I used to have a Radeon X800XL . even that on had the BSOD problem with hw acceleration while playing video files.

They i bought a Nvidia 880GT , and used that one for 5 years, without seeing a single BSOD . I only saw the Windows 7 , 8 BSOD screenshots on websites.

That was till i bought a R290 :)

6. Lumaan

Lumaan Member

GPU:
    Asus R9 290X 4GB OC
    I use "YouTubeCenter" Dev version and have set in setting of YouTubeCenter to play Flash in "Player type" under player tab, and GPU under "Flash WMode" + my mms.cfg under "c:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\" got:
    I can play Flash with "Hardware Acceleration" on.

I use Flash beta 14.0.0.160 + the Aug27 AMD driver(14.30.1005) + FireFox version 32

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    No crashes here using Firefox with it on, im still on the 13.12 WHQLs though, so can't say about later drivers :p

8. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I installed 14.4 on a fresh Win 8.1 x64 install. Been running for months using Firefox (and videos in Steam, which is it's own browser) without a single BSOD with HW acceleration on.

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I have HW Acceleration turned off due to issues I was having with my graphics card drivers crashing when I was using my old Q6600 rig with a 560ti.

I haven't had any crashes or blue screens of any kind with my AMD card and I am running the latest drivers and thats with HW turned off.

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    The only issues I've had, was trying to use Raptr's new twitch streaming. When viewing my own stream, I got a lot of artifacts & what looked like a green-screen for the bottom half of the feed. Disabling hardware accel fixed this problem.
    But, it only happened for my own stream, and only using Raptr's service. OBS worked flawlessly. (All this using 7850, 2x 7850, and R9 270)
    Aside from that, I've almost always had hardware accelleration enabled, but some (my old laptop) keep turning the feature off - probably lack of support.

11. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 1060 6G
    14.4 WHQL on Windows 8.1 x64 and Firefox with HWaccel = zero BSODs.
    Everything higher than 14.4 = BSODs a few times a day (hard to say if it's flash-related since my Firefox is always open when my PC is on).
    The only driver that seems stable and is higher than 14.4 is the latest leaked 14.x from Aug 27. Used it for almost two days and there were no BSODs.
    Right now I'm using 14.4 + Control Center from 14.7RC3 (2014.0811.2303.39561).

12. Seren

Seren Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    I don't think I've ever had a BSOD in flash, but I've had browser crashes, green video and all of the other flash goodness... Using Firefox Aurora as main browser for 3 years or more with Flash beta for ~2years. I'm currently on 14.7rc3 and Win 8.1 x64. HWA has always been on except for a few weeks when it was causing the above issues.

13. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Flash is the bane of so many problems with amd. Turning off hardware acceleration is half-baked solution, anyone noticed how the image quality suffers? Upscaling even 720p videos result in artefacts and some 320-480 are borderline unplayable.
    If you fancy, you can see a short video I made about flash related problem with 7950: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPyNqA9ynbs

14. MTSeldon

MTSeldon Member

GPU:
    Asus R 290 / 4Gb
    it's not only flash. Html5 , dvxa also triggers a BSOD .

Do users who get BSOD's , use the card in legacy or UEFI mode? Does it matter?

Another interesting point is, i never get a BSOD while video is playing. Only while starting, stopping or seeking in the video.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Ive got HW/A disabled, and last couple of days Ive been getting BSODs watching flash videos

Youtube yesterday, BBC News today

Im wondering if its anything to do with youtube center addon, it seems to have a fairly major memory leak when you're watching videos, firefox hitting 2GB+ RAM use

16. nanoGuruTony

nanoGuruTony New Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7870 V2
    I used to get them only with flash videos (ie. Youtube) in FF with drivers somewhere between 13.4 to 14 or so. I'm not entirely sure now, tbh.

I just stuck with working drivers until new ones came out that didn't crash. To be fair, I imagine it could have been a software update anywhere between FF or windows that fixed it in the end, or a combination. ymmv

17. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB
    Same thing here, green video every once in a while. When this happens, display settings can also get reset (like the videocard reboots - fan spins up for a second, color and clock profiles have to be re-applied). Never had a BSOD though.

I just disable HWA, I test my system every once in a while with HWA enabled, but ever since my old 3870 it's been the same thing.

I never really understood what the reason is for having HWA enabled. I watch 1080p movies and stuff with no performance loss (at least, none that makes the movie perform worse than its native frame rate), so I'm fine with just leaving it off permanently.

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The only way to find out is to disable it and see what happens next time you watch youtube.

19. GreenAlien

GreenAlien Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC
    Happens every time I open multiple youtube tabs.. disabled it now, hope it helps..

20. Bleib

Bleib Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Not BSOD (haven't seen in a year or two), but it can cause firefox to work like crap. Or maybe it is the other way around.