Does CCC actually do anything of worth?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by w1w, Dec 20, 2006.

1. w1w

w1w Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    I'm having trouble trying to understand the role of CCC. I can see the options for the Core and Memory clocks but the rest seems almost useless if in game options are anything to go by.
    Although the other night I did stick on all the features of the card and ended up with a load of artifacts onscreen (Quake 4).

So does options like the "quality" setting slider bar thing actually make any difference?
    Same for all the other options. (Temporal AA, Catalyst AI etc)

2. binormalkilla

binormalkilla Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870X2 XSPC water block
    Use these settings (I have the same card), and yes it does do many things...some people prefer to install ATI Tray Tools, however I use them both. Also, refer to www.tweakguides.com and check out this guy's CCC tweak guide, very useful. All options explained, as well as cleanup tips and removing unneeded services (don't disable hotkey poller, though, you need it with our card to keep the 3d voltages)
    I run these settings in CCC:
    Anti-Aliasing=6x (for BF2142, won't let me set it past 4x in game settings)
    Anisotropic Filtering=application decide, high quality enabled (Looks great)
    Catalyst AI=enabled, advanced
    Mipmap quality=to the right (max), prevent software issues
    vertical refresh=off, unless app specifies
    Adaptive AA=enabled, quality
    Also, read the registry tweak for the new AA technique here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=207677
    Called EATM and Alpha Sharpening, I didn't see a difference, as you can read in the thread. Make sure to make a restore point before editing your registry.
    PM me if you have any ?s, these options should look the best, while allowing performence.

3. w1w

w1w Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    Thanks very much, I'll have to wait until I get back from work to try these but thanks nonetheless. :)

4. binormalkilla

binormalkilla Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870X2 XSPC water block
    No problem dude, post your 3dmark scores on the thread entitled "anyone found a stable OC app for the X1950 Pro", we have a couple there :)