Does anyone have experience with an AOC 27G2U or can recommend a similar 1920*1080 monitor please?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by PlayWithFire, Nov 22, 2020.

1. PlayWithFire

PlayWithFire New Member

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Hi

I've been out of the monitor-buying game for quite a while so I could do with some help from anyone who's willing to help me find an appropriate monitor please.

I'm looking for a monitor that ideally has the following features:

• native 1920*1080 - I really don't need or want anything higher than that right now as I want the resolution to match my current laptops

• native 120Hz or 144Hz refresh rate - I don't need higher and can happily live with 120Hz

• would be a bonus if it can daisy chain other displays but not absolutely essential

• anything from 17 inch to 32 inch max - ideally I don't want to go higher than 27 inch and would be happy with lower but if a 32 inch monitor was perfect in every other way and in budget, I'd consider it

• either native G-Sync by itself or G-Sync Compatible AND Freesync Premium together (native G-Sync is where the display basically has a G-Sync processor built-in for full feature support whereas G-Sync Compatible displays don't have the processor but still feature the basic features required for G-Sync certification like decent variable refresh rate)

• impressive colour reproduction and brightness

• response time of up to 5ms - I'm not fussed if it's any lower than that but it can't be higher

• preferably IPS unless you can really (I mean, it's going to take some hard work) convince me that a VA or TN would be better

• budget of up to £250 ideally

The monitor I'm buying will be a second monitor hooked up to both a 17" gaming laptop and a 13" work laptop (at different times obviously) to use in general multitasking, work (spreadsheets, word processing etc), casual/semi-casual gaming and some amateur design work in the near future.

I've had a look around and I've come up with the AOC 27G2U so far which has Freesync Premium with G-Sync Compatible certification and is within budget. Does anyone have any experience with that monitor? It looks like it has good reviews but does anyone know of any issues with it or anything to be aware of/consider before buying it?

I know native G-Sync under £400 is probably unachievable so finding a monitor that has Freesync Premium and is also G-Sync Compatible within budget and the right resolution is probably the main aim.

Thanks!

2. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

I have 27G2U but in 1440p size and G-Sync works with that monitor, color reproduction is good, its VA display and for really good reproduction of colours I would suggest get IPS monitor, finding 1440p with IPS and 144hz in budget I think it be impossible there

Have this monitor as my second and I can only recommend that monitor for money

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. PlayWithFire

PlayWithFire New Member

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Thanks for the input. I don't need 1440p and Amazon says the 1080p/144Hz version of 27G2U is IPS (AOC 27G2U/BK 27 Inch Widescreen IPS LED Black Multimedia Monitor (1920 x 1080/5ms/VGA/DP/HDMI/USB 3.0 x 4): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories) which is what attracted me to it.

So far from the options I've found it's between the AOC 27G2U and Acer Nitro XV272 (Acer Nitro XV272Pbmiiprzx 27 inch FHD Gaming Monitor - (IPS Panel, FreeSync, 144Hz, 1ms, HDR 400, ZeroFrame, DP, HDMI, USB Hub, Black): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories) which is also IPS, 144Hz, Freesync Premium (according to the AMD website) and G-Sync compatible but also comes with HDR 400.

They're both practically the same price.

I actually found out last night after finding lists of G-Sync monitors on the NVidia website and correlating that to FreeSync Premium monitors from AMD's website that there are a lot of 24/27 inch monitors that are sub-£300 and even a few 24 inch ones that are around £150. My problem is more now that I'm spoilt for choice and it's difficult to differentiate between similar models rather than not having any options.

Other sub-£300 options I've found are:

Acer XF240Hbmjdpr 24 Inch FHD Gaming Monitor, Black (TN Panel, FreeSync, 144 Hz, 1ms, DP, HDMI, DVI): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    AOC G2590FX 24.5 Inch Widescreen TN LED Gaming Monitor 144Hz, FreeSync premium, Intergrated Speakers (1920 x 1080/1ms/VGA/DP/HDMI): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    HP 24x 144Hz Full HD Gaming Monitor (1920 x 1080) NVIDIA G-Sync & AMD FreeSync compatible, 1ms Response time, built in speakers (1 DP, 1 HDMI), Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    Lenovo G24-10 23.6-inch FHD WLED Gaming Monitor | Gaming | Part number : 65FDGAC2UK | Lenovo UK
    Buy HP 25mx 24.5inch 144Hz FHD Gaming Monitor | PC monitors | Argos
    Buy LG Ultragear 27GL650F 27” Full HD IPS LCD Gaming Monitor - Black | Free Delivery | Currys
    ▷ LG 27GN750 27" 1920x1080 IPS 240Hz 1ms FreeSy… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

They all have FreeSync Premium according to AMD's listing FreeSync Monitors | AMD and G-Sync Compatible according to GeForce G-SYNC Monitors: Manufacturers & Specs (nvidia.com) even though some of them don't state it on the retailer info (or only say FreeSync instead of FreeSync Premium).

4. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

This I didn't know 27G2U at 1080p is IPS, I bought 1440p which is VA panel and must day owned AOC IPS monitors for while and loved them

Acer Nitro is TN panel and TN panels are not the best if you are working with color accuracy work and personally I hate TN panels

Acer another one is as well TN panel, AOC GN25 as well is TN panel and HP and Lenovo are as well TN panels

LG as well is IPS and choosing right monitor literally hard to say which I would choose, I have main monitor as X34p and secondary monitor is 27G2U 1440p monitor, previously I used another AOC monitor which has been surprising perfect monitor

You need to decide which monitor is for you, TN monitor doesn't have best quality of picture compared to IPS or VA, TN are usually faster monitor like VA or IPS

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. PlayWithFire

PlayWithFire New Member

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Oh nuts you're right about some of the TN panels - I am specifically looking for IPS only but the filters on the NVidia G-Sync monitor list website were playing up and didn't always work. I obviously missed crossing those ones off! I don't want VA or TN. I have a suspicion that my current monitor (which is on a MSI GT73VR 7RF Titan Pro gaming laptop) is a TN but MSI tech support won't confirm that because they market it as "IPS-Level" (literally) so even though it's obvious it's not really IPS they won't tell you anything more. Although it's been great for gaming and general purpose, the colours definitely need improvement.

I'm really confused about the Acer Nitro though - Amazon advertises it as IPS in two parts of the ad but also in the same advert it says "TN2" in one place, which is odd to say the least. The Acer website (XV272 - Tech Specs | Monitors | Acer United Kingdom) which is the specific model on Amazon and also Box.co.uk says it's IPS and doesn't mention TN. And the fact it has HDR400 should mean it has decent colour reproduction regardless because HDR400 means it meets a basic HDR colour specification (unlike HDR10 for example).

I was setting myself on the Acer Nitro XV272 for the HDR400 within my budget so what's making you sure that it's TN and not IPS?

6. Night Hope

Night Hope Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    @PlayWithFire 27'' You should get 1440p. On the web side all words looking cubic on 1080p.

7. PlayWithFire

PlayWithFire New Member

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Thanks but my other half has a very basic 27 inch Dell for work and I think it looks ok at 1080p. Plus I'm not 100% sure that my laptop can pull off 1440p at high refresh rates as it only supports miniDisplayPort (which I think is 1.2) and HDMI at 4K@60 (although admittedly I don't know enough about HDMI to be sure about that). Nor whether the mobile version of gtx1080 will handle recent games at a consistently high FPS at 1440p like I know it can at 1080p. The benchmarks I've seen for desktop gtx1080s only average 60fps in some games that are a couple of years old now (it handles some at 90+ average but definitely not all games) and I don't plan on upgrading my actual laptop for another year or two at least so I want to make sure I can keep frames high.

Another reason is that one of my main uses at the moment is for study/work where I need to be able to move windows between monitors at pace and having different resolutions on different monitors makes that a pain to do at speed because the windows change size when you move them between one resolution on one monitor and another resolution on the other. So where my main screen is 1080p I'm aiming to have them the same and get rid of that issue.

I know 1080p at 27 inch can be borderline love it or hate it but I will take the risk as I can't find a 24" monitor that is as good as these 27" ones and is also a decent amount cheaper to warrant going down in size.

8. Night Hope

Night Hope Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    If you on game or movies it is ok. And if you buy 1440p you can use 1080p on it.

9. PlayWithFire

PlayWithFire New Member

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Yeah I did think about that but after looking around a few forums a lot of people say the image quality suffers if you use a lower resolution than your monitor's native resolution. I know it's subjective but there isn't much point in me going to 1440p.

10. Sabbath

Sabbath Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Monitors/VG279Q/

11. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Eagle
    Try look at ASUS VG279QM, probably best 1080p 27" monitor on market. Only bad thing about it is that it have bad lag when used @60Hz.
    Dont mix with which is quite different monitor VG279Q which is quite different monitor