Does anyone actually use anti-static wristbands?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lepitius, Feb 8, 2009.

1. lepitius

lepitius Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600GT 512DDR3@670mhz
    Well, if you do happen to see an anti-static wristband around (at the nearest electronic store, which is a 150m away, they sell them for around 4.5$) for your own sake, I suggest you get one. :)

2. MrN

MrN Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT
    The wrist strap is supposed to keep you at the same potential as the components you are working on. This does not necessarily have to be Ground.
    You could be working on the space station far from Earth and you and the semiconductor device you are working on could be at 10,000V with respect to ground. But, as long as you are both at the same potential, there will be no current, which is the thing that causes the damage.

So, don't think that if you are grounded, or if your PC is grounded, you are OK. Both must be. But, more importantly, both must be at the same potential. Hence, the advice to touch a metallic part of your case frequently while working on your PC.

The third connector on the outlet (ground) is meant to ground the metallic body of an electrical equipment (washer, dryer, water heater, fridge, ...).
    This is to protect you from electrocuting yourself if there is an accidental wiring error that causes the hot wire (110V or 220V depending on where you live) to short to the body of the equipment.
    If there is a third ground connector, this will result in the circuit breaker tripping instead of electrocuting you.
    The third connector is not there to ground your PC to protect it against ESD.

Lastly, even if you are wearing a wrist strap, you could still cause damage if you are not doing it right.
    You could be grounded and you could still zap your computer if your computer is charged.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  3. lepitius

lepitius Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600GT 512DDR3@670mhz
    Well, I just attach the clamp thing to the PC case so I suppose that counts. :p

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    ...or you could just squat and dip your testicles in a cup full of water and it does the same thing.......so i hear :idea:

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Honestly I never wore one either. I didnt even know that static could kill still like that until about a year ago =). Never fryed anything. I just wore a wire connected to a ground in a socket, and it was all good. I connected the wire to the case too so everything was neutral. I just wanted to make sure nothing happened to my first new build on x-mas day =D.

6. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    Bought one recently with my new build I always use it now before that never bothered buying one but I would have if I cared enough lol

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    not sure how you missed it as most pc harware comes with plenty of warning labels and anti-static bags lol.
    static can be bad enough that people have caught their cars on fire while pumping gas.

8. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Haha lol...I fried a new motherboard back in the rdram days cause I was drunk, maybe static related but I dripped sweat onto a few different places, didn't care...had to get back in-game.

9. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    I have never worn one. I usually just tap side of my case first. Never had a part fail due to static and I have been building PC's since Quake2 1996!

10. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    to say you never had a problem doesnt mean you never will. better to be safe than sorry. its cheap and easy thing to do compared to the alternative. if its 10 times or a million times, it only takes once.

11. malky

malky Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I lol'd

If it wisny fur yer wellies'
    where wid ya be.....

@op - no wristband here either.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  12. CCchips

CCchips Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 2048Mb
    You can't even buy anti-static wristbands in New Zealand. They're pointless - just touch the metal part of the PC case when its plugged in and you're set.

13. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    I always wash my hand thoroughly, and touch the case. I also wait for awhile to make sure it's powered down. If i think i may take some time i'll take a break and wash my hands again before continuing.

I have killed an old harddrive before though. I pulled it out of the antistatic plastic wrap i put it in a few days earlier. Gave me one damn good zap, felt like i just got stung by a bee. It was recognized as a drive with 0 volume. :(