Does a really good silent video card exist?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by boe, Jan 19, 2021.

1. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    I'm thinking about building my first HTPC (plex or kodi). I'm just using it for streaming movies - no games - possible web browsing.

Is HDMI 2.1 available on video cards?

Is it available on video cards that don't require big power supplies or any fans?

2. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti 2055/16.2Ghz
    What do you want to do that you can't do with HDMI 2.0? Most of the features in HDMI 2.1 are aimed at gamers. Yes, it is on the latest graphics cards, but there aren't any at an availability and price point for an HTPC right now.

Even Dolby vision or 8k/24fps can be used with HDMI 2.0 and eARC isn't limited to HDMI 2.1

There are passive gt 1030's or a 1650 by palit. "Really good" in terms of performance for anything other than movie watching or web browsing won't be had with a passive graphics card.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    You should look into APUs.
    My HTPC has an 2200G and for watching media, web browsing and even some gaming is a very good solution. All that being silent and barely sipping any power.
    I will upgrade to an 4570G when the price and availability will better.

Mda400 likes this.
  4. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Mda400 likes this.
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    My 1070 is pretty silent at 750 RPM.

Ofcourse, it's now a 4 Slot Card.

[​IMG]

7. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    I use a 1030GT in my HTPC and it works like a champ. But the APU route is the more prudent route. Lower thermals globally.

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Even more reasons:
    • the PCI-E slot remains unoccupied, one can add 10G or 2,5G NIC to a HTPC or whatever expanion card
    • more space inside the computer case and lower overall temperature;
    • one less chip (GPU), one less driver to care about;

That leaves rooms for expansions.

9. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Thanks! Any recommendation about an APU solution I should look at? I'd like to build an entirely fanless solution - not too worried about the size of the thing.

10. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    If you are going to be using blu-ray 4k disks or 3D discs then you will want a Intel chip with the SGX extension support. If you do not care about that then grab a Ryzen chip.

11. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Very good info - I definitely care about 4K, 3D, Dolby Atmos, DTS-MA etc. I'm new to plex and right now my plex PC (just an old spare nuc) that I'm still tweaking is just hooked up to a monitor - I haven't tried connecting it to my HT system. I've been streaming with my Oppo and it handles everything I throw at it but I'd like a nice menu system more like netflix but with better quality streaming than netflix offers. It it works well enough, I'll build or buy a real HTPC.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  12. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Right... Re-read/read the post I quoted...

13. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Sorry for the ignorant question but is there any difference in video quality - color, motion clarity etc between one video card or APU and the next? To be clear - if you are actually able to playback a video it is on or off or are there levels of quality?

14. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Should be able to adjust things in software/player.

boe likes this.
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    @TheDeeGee Did you mod the card to use 3 noctua fans? I would be courious to what you actual did :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021

16. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Thanks - back to the question of 3D, 4K, DTS-MA, atmos.

The sgx extension is mentioned - is that if I only use the video off the CPU or can I use an old processor and add a new video card and get all those features through the video card or do you still need the new processor even if you use a good video card. Thanks in advance.

17. Raserian

Raserian Active Member

GPU:
    HD7750
    No there are no visual differences how different GPUs - integrated or external, display your picture. Only thing is that lower performing cards may stutter high res videos and have lower FPS in games. But just as others mentioned, you can change color and contrast values for your desktop or videos in every GPU's control panel that include IGPs, however I seem to think that it is mostly used to correct color balance on devices where display has a problem, may appear to have incorrect color or is too bright or too dark without possibility to change it on the screen itself. So far I have not come across a problem where I had to use those controls.

boe likes this.
  18. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to start a new thread because I might be muddying the waters with so many questions. I appreciate all the info as I have much to learn!

19. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Why buy a PC for this when there are 30 dollars devices with full Android that plug into an HDMI port on your TV and accelerate 4k\HDR\DV without any issue?

Kodi, Plex, Netflix, Prime, etc all are on Android. Why a PC for this, in this day and age?

Even meets all your audio requirements you mentioned.

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    erm, last time I checked even an APU still needs both chipset drivers, and GPU drivers. My Mrs laptop has a AMD Ryzen 2700U and requires both to operate correctly.