Do your Drivers downclock properly? [NV owners enter]

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SaveFighting, Jul 28, 2010.

1. SaveFighting

SaveFighting New Member

GPU:
    Corsair TR3X6G160
    Do (both) GPU(s) downclock to 2D speed after you exit multiple games while game profile is set to prefer max performance?

GPU: 295GTX

Downclock properly? Yes

Driver Version: 191.07

I have tried some of the newer driver versions however only one GPU ever downclocks after I exit a game if I have prefer max performance set for that game in the profile manager.

I will take the feedback from this thread and test the drivers that seem to be the most successful for people. :nerd:

2. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    No , neither do mine, but some smart pants will come and tell you that :
    1) you have two monitor
    2) you set up performance bla bla
    3) add any other useless comment.

Fact is, since months my second card does not downclock after coming back from a 3D application and there is no way to fix it without, say, a Rivatuner.
    I don't own a second monitor, in device manager there is only 1x monitor, also among the "hidden devices" only one appears.
    Performance or adaptive has got nothing to do that and has been said time and time again.
    Driver sweeper, and all the nice boring reinstallation of driver and whatnot, does not solve the issue.

NVidia has got it nicely written in the release note what they don't consider BUG, and that's not what I am experiencing.

So, good you opened up a thread for this, I too would like this solved.

3. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    Well none of mine downclock when I use "max performance".
    But I have not tried that for a while since adaptive is working perfectly fine for me.
    Is that a problem for you?
    I've never seen the clocks going down while I was playing. But adaptive make all 4 gpus going back to 2D after I quit a game.
    Using (almost) latest driver 258.96 :)

4. SaveFighting

SaveFighting New Member

GPU:
    Corsair TR3X6G160
    I have 1 display. :)

Just trying to gather information.

From my experience these 191.07 drivers are the only ones that downclock every time no matter what. I have global setting as adaptive and only set max performance per game basis.

Hopefully, I can find another golden driver like these 191.07. :)

For me. Some drivers would downclock when I had everything set to adaptive after I existed a game while others would not. Some would stay stuck in 3D after exit if I had max performance picked.

Thank you. :) I really hope the information collected in this thread can help to solve this issue or even just get a better understanding of what works and what does not for people.

5. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    I have experienced that a few times with my gtx480 and 258.96 driver.
    I up the fan speed a little and somehow the weirdness goes away.

6. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I've noticed with all the 256.xx drivers I've tried, when using max performance mode, I have to reboot after gaming to get them to down clock properly.

7. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    Just for my knowledge, what is the main reason in using "max performance" vs "adaptive"?
    Thanks

8. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Max Performance is a mode that makes your clocks stay at max performance when 3d mode is enabled

Adaptive is a mode that determines the performance based on GPU usage

9. Fershlugg

Fershlugg Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 670

yes they do.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I just set my 2 rigs to adaptive, my other rig also has a 295 in it. I have found setting to max performance is not necessary ALL of my games go into 3d speed and downclock when game is ended.

11. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
    Ok thanks. So nothing more than what is described in the control panel.:)
    I tried with 258.96 and it is still the same all four gpu will remains at 3d speed until I restart.

My tests done long time ago on Vantage, Crysis and CSS have shown absolutly no difference between the 2 modes.

So I do not see the point in using that parameter (adaptive is working perfectly fine) but maybe some old applications can cause problems.

12. Wanny

Wanny Guest

GPU #2 doesn't downclock if I set "Maximum Performance" in NVCP.

13. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    never had issues with it.
    if it does't go back to 3d mode usualy means your gfx driver has crashed.

14. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    no probs

15. SaveFighting

SaveFighting New Member

GPU:
    Corsair TR3X6G160
    Yup. I do max performance by game basis because I found say for example like a game such as starcraft 2 one of the 295GTX GPUs would downclock during gameplay.

I was logging my data using after burn and you can see it do this.

That is true. But, for this thread I'm talking more about the issue of it not downclocking one of the GPUs when it returns from 3D gaming. However, if you game again the other GPU will return to 3D clock fine.

16. lordvj

lordvj Member

GPU:
    XFX GTS250 512MB
    No, my GTS250 doesnt with 258.96, gotta try 19x series ones. which one would likely work? is this a powermizer issue with the drivers?

And is it me or the control panel in 258.96 does not have the max performance/adaptive setting?

17. Barton C++

Barton C++ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    GPU: SLI GTX 260 (SLI Mod)

Downclock properly? Yes

Driver Version: 257.21

Power management mode: Adaptive

Up- and downclocks work very good, haven't changed this option from default. I have NO PROBLEMS that require reboots etc etc

If I change GPU clocks I've learned NOT to do with GPUs at 3D High Perf mode, otherwise they could get stuck in 3D High perf mode. This happened always with some drivers maybe 6 months ago, so I never do it again.
    EDIT // No, this probably happened with Windows 7 Beta, and especially with Aero enabled, I was forced to use old style "Windows 7 Basic" theme back then.

If a game shows 3D Low or 2D clocks, ALT TAB to desktop and back to game.

To view clocks, use RivaTuner, EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner with G15 LCD or similar keyboard and / or OSD enabled.

I DO think, when using two monitors with SLI and especially when watching avi/wmv (one gpu will go 3D High perf during movie) I've got clocks stuck, but that's so long ago...I'm now using USB sticks to plug into DVD/Bluray/TV

If I watch avi with ONE GPU installed, clocks will only go to 3D Low Perf.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  18. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    I run pefer maximum performance always and never had a downclocking issue with any driver.Im running 259.09s now and no problems.

19. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    GTX480 SLI.

All the 2XX.XX drivers not let GPU#2 downclock.

Performance or Adaptive --> Doesnt matter.

Off topic --> Profile's are still wacked.

20. El_Presidente

El_Presidente Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Sitrix SLI
    I have 470 GTX SLI set and i have same thing as Fusion_XT.
    But when i use XP instead of Vista 64, witch i normally do, down clocking works both cards OK.
    And i usually all ways use newest drivers.