Do you use Saturation in CCC to increase colour?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by HonoredShadow, Jul 12, 2011.

?

Do you use Saturation in CCC to increase colour?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2011.
  1. Yes always

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. No never

30 vote(s)
    56.6%
  3. Maybe sometimes, depends...

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Just as it says. Sometimes I think my monitor could do with a bit more colour so I like to turn up the Saturation up a bit to make things a little more colourful.

I usually don't go any higher than ten but I'm on 5 at the moment. Just trying to keep things looking natural.

What do you guys use?

2. Valagard

Valagard Guest

For every new monitor I turn saturation off

Then I calibrate the monitors as best as I can for the color and contrast scale for the visible spectrum

After that, I set saturation up to 200% to restore natural color gradient to everything, because every monitor I've ever used in history by default washes out color drastically, and I've gone through 20+ monitors in my computer career personally, let alone the hundreds I've set up for customers

3. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte Fe 1080TI +WB
    Just be careful when using saturation with LCD monitors.
    it can cause BURN IN to lcd monitors very easily due to the higher density color that wouldn't normally be there with saturation set to default..

4. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    The washed out colors in the new monitors are due to design and manufacturing factors. Especially the LED ones which have slim design really have bad color gamuts.

I got a new LED display a few weeks back, it really sucks compared to my 3+ year old LCD display in color reproduction.

The old one I didn't have to calibrate anything, the factory stock settings passed all calibrations on fly. But on the new LED monitor (which is almost like a torch light display, shooting whiteness into my face), I spent a week calibrating it until I reached the near old(perfect) settings.

Even after the calibration, I still need to tweak gamma in every individual game I play by -20%. I cannot do that on desktop, because it makes text hard to read and the overall appearance of the desktop looks dull.

---

Adjust color saturation to high decreases differentiability for colors with high values, to check this try the below method.

1. Make an excel sheet or a bitmap against a black background of RGB values=0, then make a separate columns of colors for Red, Green, Blue, and White.
    2. For each column of red, make 32 boxes. In each box in the red column put Green and Blue values=0 and put Red values starting from 255, 247, 239, 231..(with -8 for each red)....until 8, 0.
    3. Repeat the same for Blue and Green column.
    4. Repeat the same for White column, but this time..the values for RGB should be the same.
    5. Now adjust Brightness, Contrast and color as below;

Or you can google and find LCD/LED/TV display calibration guide online..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

5. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 super
    I use since forever. Always keep it from 10-15% above default.

6. eeyoree

eeyoree New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870m
    really depends, there is games that have high saturation already, or the opposite, needs to bump it up, for those i turn saturation up along with color temperature to look more pleasantly.

7. poppy10

poppy10 Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 280X
    When was the last time you experienced any burn in with a modern LCD monitor?

I've left a static bright image on the screen for two weeks and not had any burn in

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    I may not have an ATI card but I have once tried to use the colour correction in Nvidia control panel and I can never get it right. Its always either too much colour, or brightness, or too much contrast. I can never find that "sweet" spot so many of you talk about. So I just leave everything on default, and alter the settings on my HDTV.

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Always use it here, as at default, the colours look dull, washed out to me, so i up it to 115.

10. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    I use it with ATI, and D vibrance with NV

11. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    used to use it @ old monitor, but current one its fine by default, also its all about getting used to it, default colors are better, people who design games and films know better than me which colours they want to show =).

12. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Well I have changed my monitor and reinstalled Windows 7 and I am still getting dull colours. I have tried 140 on saturation and colour temp up to 6700k like someone suggested in another forum.

Just wonder how you guys improved you colour as I cant seem to get mine right and could do with some advice.

My HDTV in the front room is no where near as good as this monitor yet the colours on the XBox are better than the last 2 monitors I have owned so its got to be PC's doing something.

13. MDewy

MDewy Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5650M Bios OCed
    I use a laptop with a LED screen ... Saturation is a must for me :D so always used it

14. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
    up to 135

15. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    yes I am on 140 with 6700K for the colour temperature. Seems to look good for games. Of course everyone will tell you it's meant to be 6500K but I don't think so for games. Photo's maybe.

16. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Gaming OC
    Good th.

I have set it at 144 with default 6500k. I will try 6700k for games... but i think i will stay with default settings.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  17. KodY

KodY Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280X Vapor-X
    I use W7's color management for that. This way I don't have to do it again and again after installing new drivers etc.

18. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Very true but I have read that it does not make any difference in game when you do it that way.

19. DeFade

DeFade Active Member

GPU:
    SapphireToxic R9 280X 3GB
    I haven't bothered changing it for ages. Having seen this thread I decided to have a mess about with it... and I couldn't be happier!

Changed to 6700k and 120 saturation and games look so much nicer. Especially PES2012 which always looked pretty washed out. So thanks for this ;)

20. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070ti 2126/4350
    I used to do it when I had Nvidia. Haven't tried it with my current card yet even though I've had it for 2 years.