Do you think you go overboard when buying a graphic card

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by 0ed218, Dec 1, 2005.

1. 0ed218

0ed218 Member Guru

GPU:
    1900xtx
    It is so easy, and we al do it. Is it just me or no matter what I have in my rig, if something new comes out (cough 512 7800) I have to have it. It truely is funny, because its not needed. Just curious anyone?

2. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    Having the best before everyone else, and out of a lot of people, is a great feeling.

3. 0ed218

0ed218 Member Guru

GPU:
    1900xtx
    Got that right. I used to buy systems, like alienware, falcon. Then I relized how fun it was to get the latest greatest, and build it myself. I built 3 pc this year. What a waste of money, well my nephew is happy since he get the old ones lol.

4. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    For me, id say no. I shopped around, got the best deal in town. Or on the internet, close enough.

However, its hard not to get jealous of the 7 Series cards ;)

My computer is meant to last, but im obviouslt going to upgrade at some point in time.

5. digitard

digitard Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA/7800GT/256mb (OC 480/1150)
    I bought 2 cards this year... actually in 4 months, but it was due to necessity.

My old computer (GF4 TI 4200, AMD XP 2400+, 1gig PC2100, etc) wasn't cutting it anymore. I needed a new station for video editing (for fun and family stuff) and to handle the current generation of games so I built a new PC.

I put a Leadtech 6800GT into my new system and it was workin gfine, but the tinkerer in me got the best of things and I installed an ARTIC COOLING SILENCER VGA fan, which did drop the temp 10'c) but it ended up blowing my card and it no longer posts.

So due to my possibly voided warranty (depends on how stock I can make the card appear...lol) I went ahead and bought a 7800GT today since it was the best 'price break' out right now (like the 6800GT was a few months ago).

I wont upgrade again for at least another year.

6. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    This year, technically, I bought only one card, but the prior card was just 7 months earlier. I do go overboard--I'll have to admit, but the way games are getting, it's almost necessary.

7. Pastrami X

Pastrami X Guest

Well, I would like to have a fairly fast graphics card, but there is a big issue with money these days, so I'm willing to cut back. :)

8. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    I like getting 80% the FPS the fastest card gets, for a fraction of the price. Hence the 6600GT and my new 6800GS. Trouble is it's still getting overboard on my budget :(

9. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    I just hope u know that u cant use ur new card in that AMD system on the site ---->

10. digitard

digitard Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA/7800GT/256mb (OC 480/1150)
    Last time I checked since my board was a PCIe x16 board (socket 939) it would be just fine. My mobo is PCIe setup, not AGP. I should've made that clear. My 6800gt that I nicely cooked was a Leadtech PCIe card.

Now if you're talking about the fact I had AMD XP that was cause I'm retarded...lol, but thats been corrected.

11. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    Even if I would have a lot of money I would not buy the latest overpriced hardware... we live under continuous advertising bombing which is so insistent that at last we really feel that we must buy something

when I was reading reviews on F.E.A.R. I tought here is the time I was affraid of... my computer is old... than I installed the game and what... my computer still performs in a fabulous way!!!

12. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Its not the advertising for me. It's the fact that I want to be able to play every game at 1280x1024 with AA and AF. That's why I spend the dough. I love speed.

13. E.J.Smith

E.J.Smith Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce Titan
    I used to be in that category.

When the new card, CPU or RAM stick came out, I had to have it. However, I found that I was becoming more obsessed with benchmarks and framerates, discovering infinitesimal imperfections in my system, tweaking, changing drivers. I also wasn't noticing the types of tremendous performance gains that I thought I would achieve by making the change. Finally, I found that because of my frustration I was enjoying my games and applications much less because I was obsessed with maximizing performance.

While I love to have the "latest and greatest," I realize that externally-imposed financial constraints (i.e., wife and kid) and the basic machinations of Moore's Law will conspire to keep me out of the technological vanguard. I'm happy occupying the middle-ground.

14. Must Kill Ati

Must Kill Ati Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800le
    To eat or to buy the new nvdia...still deciding

15. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 FTW3
    Seeing as I've had my 9800XT for almost three years now I would have to say that I don't go overboard. BTW I got my card for 200 bucks as a refurbished 9800Pro256 then RMA'ed that card and got my 400 dollar card!

16. slyven

slyven Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4870
    I am not sure I would call it over board but....
    I save my money. Save and save and save, until I can buy the best. I have only bought 3 GPU systems (4 cards). My first every upgrade was from a GF2 MX to a GF4 Ti4600. Then from that to a 6800U the from that to a Dual 7800GTX SLI (256) system. Now my next upgrade is probably going to be one card (the last system was by free money), but I would skip a generation to make sure I get the best card (I skipped that 9xx0/5xx0 era, for example.)

17. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Overboard??? Me?????? *looks @ SLI 7800GTX 512's* NEVER!!!! :D:D:D

18. SkyDiveee

SkyDiveee Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 7800GTX 256Mb
    2 cards in 3-4 weeks -->first a 6600Gt and then a 6800gt
    not so overboard :p

19. Estropin

Estropin New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800GT@ 420/1.1
    i would get a nice cooler and oc' the most out of them to last longer

20. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    I don't really go overboard really. I've always bought the "best bang for the buck" and thus do not have 2 512 7800GTX in SLI but a single 7800GT(which will be in this system for a long time). My previous card was a 6600GT and it was starting to slowdown alot in new new games. I sold it for a like 125 and bought my 7800GT for 290(with rebates). 165 spent. Definetly NOT overkill for me IMO.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005