Do you think this forum needs to be closed?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pfh

pfh Member

GPU:
    GeCube HD3850 256
    So my 20 year old son asked me a question about a s/w app he was using the other day. He was having trouble with a certain aspect of it's use. I tell him to check out some user forums and what not. He says to me there's always too many threads to read and just wants a quick answer that he thought I would know! True story. Funny part is, I had never used the s/w. He was the one that had been using it for a year. Fast food quicky generation.

Keep the forum open thank god, but let someone else mod. You shouldn't have to. Sometimes the "entitelment" that people bring to forums make me want to barf and scream.

2. pfh

pfh Member

GPU:
    GeCube HD3850 256
    Thanks for your time Unwinder.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  3. wiskerbizkit

wiskerbizkit Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    Don't get all emo on us dude. you're looking at the 100 or so nubs that shouldn't be overclocking/tweaking in the first place. What about the thousands of users that swear by Rivatuner? the glass is not always half empty man.

4. rhiridflaidd

rhiridflaidd Member

As one of the noobs that got an nvidia card for the first time since a geforce 3, I'd just like to state my appreciation.

THe app certainly takes a good few days to get to grips with and I still have a load of questions in my head. In my mind, what's needed are subfora, so that novices like myself can ask questions about rivatuner to our heart's content, and not worry about cluttering up this forum which is not designed for that sort of chatter.

So my advice would be to get some subfora set up, and resist the temptation to visit the subfora! It would mean needing other moderators (not that I can offer any help. I wouldn't be use or ornament.)

Lastly you might want to back off to IRC for a while if you need some space and if the forum is getting to you, and just be contactable by those in the know. But whatever you do don't close the forum.

5. Squbii

Squbii Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Hi,

First, even as a newbie, I would like to say that I appreciate the job You are doing here Unwinder. The software that You're developing is great, but I get the feeling that You're getting some things to personal. I know, that RT is Your hobby (and it's great because if You're doing something with passion - it's allways good to see it), but I think that You should sometimes stop for a moment and take a deep breath and cool down a little. I'm not saying that You should allow newbies (or anybody else) to destroy this Forum, but take it easy. If someone can't understand what RTFM means, then hey - it's his problem...

Second, I would be glad to see (if necessary of course) in my potential future threads Your post with a tip what to do, or where to find my answers... So please, do not leave newbies like me on their own.

BTW: excuse me for my poor english...

Regards
    Squbii

6. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    I can't see getting upset over it.

We need a RivaTuner forum.

7. Grendel_66

Grendel_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Maybe we need two -- one free for all and one for experienced users. Misplaced posts could be moved into the appropriate forum..

8. Caypiranha

Caypiranha Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800 GTS 512
    I havent read the full thread, But I understand, whats going on (unwinders topic).

I also think, that it might be good, that unwinder might not spend too much time with searchdisabled peoples. Yes, additional Moderators are needed. Threads that contains already given questions, simply are moved into a rubric, that should be opened for them. Those guys will find theire thread then inside this, and know: THERE IS AN ANSWER FOR MY QUESTION, IF I USE THE "SEARCH"

that will motivate them directly for doing a better search, or it is not important anymore. Or they got simply short answers, like just a pasted link to the thread they need, if one Moderator was feeling sorry with them.

This will lead then automatically into a more clean Thread collection, or more "serious" Topics, and there will be more Peace on Earth again...

And Unwinder will have more time for the taking maybe somemore air instead of doing RT v.2.1 for us.. =)) YOu tried already hard as I recognized here! take yourself a bit beside - no one will be set up, if the Master of Desaster will not Post that much anymore! You are doing the Software, wich is great enough! Maybe you let the Forum ctrl´d by others. If serious problems, or questions are about, these Moderators can contact u for a more closer look at these or that!

cheers dude &: DONT HARM YOURSELF!

=)

9. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost New Member

GPU:
    Quadro4 700XGL
    And another nod to Unwinder. I haven't been around here much in the past few years, but it's always nice to know I can pop back in (under a different account now, that is) and still get the info I need and was looking for quickly and easily.

Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff. Especially the brains of the n00bs. I deal with PC tech support every day and have done so for over 30 years now, just roll with the punches and know you're doing something good.

Congrats on the many years so far, and best of luck for those to come.

And thank you.
    bb

10. Tipton

Tipton Banned

I don't think the forum should be closed, but I do think that Unwinders participation should be limited.

I originally came to this forum after discovering a problem with Rivatuner and BF 2142. The problem was that punkbuster would kick me by simply having Rivatuner on my system. When I came to the forums asking for assistance, I was met with a very defensive Unwinder whose precious software could never cause such an issue. My thread was closed, and after a slight Unwinder ego stroking, I was able to get him to open the thread back up. Of course it got closed again, because he did not like the fact that I found alot of others having the same issue on other forums. I helped literally dozens of people with an issue they had been fighting with for months.

Anyway another thread was opened on the same issue, but this time Unwinder put it in this nice tidy package that made it appear that he was all over the problem. The end result of the thread was that it was punkbusters fault......imagine that.

I don't use Rivatuner anymore, because I found an alternate software program that meshes better with my system. With that said though, I agree that Rivatuner is a quality piece of software, I just don't think Unwinder should be the main support person here in the forums. It was mentioned that he has a big ego. I disagree!! He has one of the most fragile egos I have ever dealt with. Plus, he has zero patience, and is extremely defensive. Newbs are part of forums, and if you can't deal with it, then DON'T!! Newcomers do not want to come to a forum and wade through hours of searching through posts. That is simply human nature. I am not saying it is right.......but you know you all have done the same!!!

11. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Unbelievable. You came back after all the things you’ve done and sing your hero song again instead of apologizing for misinforming a lot of people in different forums and spreading unproven fud and telling them that RT was a reason of crashes in Vista drivers when in fact it was a 2142 PunkBuster’s issue?
    If RT were commercial product, it could easily result in a lawsuit in front of your nose, because your impatience and fud spread by you in different forums cost me a lot of lost users (I’m not talking about my work time I wasted to address your posts about RT instability in different forums).
    And you're right, I'm defensive and have zero patience and zero remorse to 0-qualified people trying to blame my work. Probably when you’ll stop gaming and start working one day and meet an idiot publicly blaming results years of your works then you’ll recall your own actions here.
    It is simply beyond of my understanding why the most active “you should stop supporting the forum” posters in this thread are those who don’t use RT, those who have 0 useful posts here and those who actually actively assisted destroying this forum with their own stupid actions.

12. Eggcake

Eggcake New Member

I agree that some subforums would be a very good idea - of course with additional mods. Maybe even a "closed" one where you cant post threads (just answering to them) and where important or some non-newb-questions are being moved by the mods. Just some ideas.
    I came here - as a noob - just a few days ago and I've spent several hours reading threads. Many of the users don't have the time or just dont want to spend time and want a quick answer - thats the time we live in. It doesnt have to do anything with RT or anything else, its the same in every forum. And I think many of them would find answers quicker if there were some subforums...
    But one thing is clear: you cant stop "Newbie"-Questions because they're part of every forum.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  13. Tipton

Tipton Banned

I mis-informed NO ONE! I simply told people what I discovered, which was the truth. That is, if you are playing BF 2142, with Rivatuner on board and are crashing, the combo could be the reason.

As far as a lawsuit, you need to study up on law before you go around making threats. People say good things, and bad things about software every day on forums all over the net. It's not illegal.

And I have never understood why you go around bashing gamers. Why do you think people use your free software??? It's so they can over clock their graphics card, and monitor temps, etc as to enhance game play. You bash on the very people who are the majority of your users.

Please put me back on ignore!!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  14. Deliverator

Deliverator Guest

He's not bashing gamers, he's insulting people such as yourself.

15. Alex Panayi

Alex Panayi New Member

GPU:
    2 X NVIDEA 6800 SLI
    this forum must stay open at any cost !!

16. BuilderX

BuilderX Member

GPU:
    8600M GT SLI 256mo DDR3 (675/837)
    At least... someone smart :)

+10000 ! :-D

17. derParson

derParson New Member

Rivatuner is by far the best tool for nvidia cards. I have been surfing these forums for many many years. Actually since my good friend EvilEngine turned me on to RT when i had a gf3. I have never posted a question concerning RT because i search and find the answer to my questions myself. Why impose on someone elses time when the answers are abundant here or on the net. I still have some questions concerning RT, however i know over time as my knowledge will progress and i will find the answer. Hardware and software are very complex and one cannot simply learn overnight.

Unwinder you area a godsend to us nvidia users. If it wasnt for you i wouldnt have ever learned to tweak my opengl to max out my q3 engine performance :)

YOU ROCK!

18. HeatSurge

HeatSurge Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 c216 679/1080
    Unwinder, I say keep the forum open, and pop in just once in a while to answer more-lengthy threads or something... even that is optional.

I think you should leave the noob-related questions which take a lot of your time to answer to other users on the forum... or simply let them remain unanswered. RivaTuner is free and support is by the community. Don't feel like you need to give something you don't want.

Most importantly, keep updating the software. You rule!

19. icedragon99

icedragon99 New Member

I just registered to say this: Why should people listen to a person who can't speak correct English (if you are foreign, please forget that and accept my apology), does not take the time to read posts and dismisses questions from inexperienced users who are asking a perfectly fair question when really that is what this forum is for?

You may help people but after reading the topic in the link you provided and then reading this hypocritical topic of yours I can't be sure.

Sorry if I have this muddled up.

John

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  20. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

If you've never peeked in RT's credits (never used RT at all?) and don't know that I'm Russian, you still can check my forum profile and see my nationality there.
    So instead of claiming that I don't take the time to read the posts, better get some basic forum usage and info searching lessons yourself. Don't teach anyone to do something you cannot do yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.