Do you think this forum needs to be closed?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Unwinder, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670 1GB
    I think it should stay open. Just because noobz make trouble doesn't mean you should give up. They just want something to argue and b!tch about. I just would not pay any attention to them (Unless they are asking a good question, or seeking help).

You are doing a great job! Keep up the good work. ;)

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500

Open.

Unwinder you do a fantastic job with software developement, but your PR skills aren't the greatest. IMO it would be a lot easier less stressful for you if you had a couple of mods to help you. Sure, no one is as clued up as yourself about RT, but there are people with enough knowledge to be able to take some off the load off you and maybe make your life a bit easier?

I know a lot of them ask what we may consider to be stupid questions, and it's frustrating hearing the same dumbass questions 50 times a day, but they are noobies and a lot of them will just be starting to get there heads around overclocking and whatnot. Everyone has to start somwhere when learning.

I had to laugh after following the link unwinder posted, it was kind of like watching the blind leading the blind. The other thing is, if it's closed, IMO, the software forums are going spammed to death by the people that normally post here.

Prime example: last night I spent the better part of an hour and prob exchanged about 30 posts with a guy who was trying to work out how to enable the temp monitoring plugin for his CPU.....he had absolutely no clue.

On a side note Unwinder, RT is one hell of an app.

Crossfire I have no idea why I just quoted you lol - long day....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  3. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. Your opinions have been analyzed and decision is taken, the forum will stay open but I’ll stop tracking all threads, stop filtering and closing false bugreports and stop giving any comments to anyone until I see an unordinary question which really requires my assistance. And I’ll try to concentrate on beta-testing and new feature development related threads instead.
    When I was a young boy the worst punishment for me from my parents’ side was when they stopped talking to me completely for a few days. In my understanding, ignoring kicks you much much stronger than RTFM. So talking about myself, I would definitively prefer to receive RTFM reply allowing me to understand that I _can_ answer my question myself instead of seeing total silence in a response, which makes me doubt if my question is lost or skipped due to some reason or just ignored. However, according to your replies many of you think differently and treat RTFM as the worst insult in your life. Anyway, that’s your choice. Let’s try to keep the forum one-side and completely not moderated now. Enjoy the freedom, this forum support is up to forum visitors now.

P.S. Also, thanks to xrc6 for showing live example of most hardly dealt type of user right here right in this thread. Probably the comments to key points of his ideas (which are also pretty typical) will help to understand my decision and motivation better:

It is absolutely not, if you're able to use it properly.

Because _you_ have problem which _you_ wish to get solved ASAP. Why do you think _I_ should want to spend the time to solve _your_ problem if it was already documented somewhere? You'll be surprised, but I have my life too. I also have the same 2 hours after my each long work day at the PC. And I can invest this time either in new RT version coding or in endless discussions with those who think that search is useless. What do you think will I choose?

My job right now is developing lie detector hardware/software suite. Everything I do here for RT project is a hobby and it is absolutely not my duty. So those who think that I owe them something also know where the door is.

Sticky thread covering PunkBuster's crashing issues while playing BF 2142 and other multiplayer games in conjunction with tweaking tools is right in front of your nose. Still say that search is useless?

4. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Perfect. This is the right path for you.:thumbup:

Perfect again. A forum lives from it's community. I'm sure that here are some knowledgeable members who can answer at ordinary questions.

Good luck and focus on development of RT. :cheers:

5. Garegaupa

Garegaupa Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5870
    But if that is your observation after reading a thread, why not participate in the discussion and share your knowledge? In my mind, that is what forums like this one is all about.

I'm certain there is plenty of extremely knowlegeable people on this forum who have been using RivaTuner for years and know it inside and out - but what good is that if such knowledge is only to be used for laughing at those who lack the same experience and insight?

I found an article on another web site yesterday evening regarding what I'm talking about here, and I think the guy has some good points:

http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2007/10/21/a_game_of_inches/1

6. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Unwinder, You shouldnt have to answer everyones question i agree with you there, Other people surely know about as much as you do about RT. Just Make One Sticky Saying Other should Help out with questions. Because ive seen you answer nearly every question, and it shouldn be just ur responsibility seeing as it is a hobby.

7. Khr][st

Khr][st Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260

I think you made the right decision mate.

I can't understand why people don't like to RTFM or search a little bit to get answers. If i was you I would react the same way like you.

But also I can't understand why you didn't just stay away from posting when not needed. Just let the community to answer stupid or many times answered questions.

Keep up the good work mate. :)

8. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I think you should just booby trap the next RT to blow up the noobs video cards.

9. iller

iller New Member

10. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    I think this forum needs a different moderator.

Unwinder: your software is marvelous, but your manners many times are just rude. Maybe it's time to sit down and think about that for a minute. Like you, I don't like people who blame others or ask stupid things without reading the FAQs, but they don't deserve to be treated like scum.

It is a good sign that you are perceiving the need for a change, but in my opinion the problem is not the forum, but the moderator. Not that you are a bad person or something, but the truth is that it takes a lot of social skills to be a good moderator.

11. Tattoer

Tattoer Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD5850
    If all new members would do this what this link shows then this thread wont even be started and we couldent applaud Unwinder and his work
    So thx for keeping this forum open and thank you for RT.

12. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Guys, unfortunately many of you are simply misunderstanding who is moderator and not seeing the real root of the problem. The only moderator’s duties are protecting the forums from spammers and other users violating forum rules. Moderators are absolutely not supposed to answer your questions daily and nightly. So if there will be 1 or even 10 new moderators, there still will be a lot of pretty “valid” posts containing something like “Give me the fix ASAP, I don’t want to use search”, which someone will constantly need to analyze and answer.
    In this thread I see a few guys relatively new to a forum (including you), which are full of enthusiasm and telling that they know everything about good manners and knowing how to deal newbies correctly. That’s just fine and you’ve a good chance to try to transform your ideas into reality, because as I’ve said, everything in this forum is in your hands now. Just try to forget about chatting in the forums, playing the games or doing whatever you do during your free time and instead of that start reading and answering all questions day by day, month by month, year by year. But don’t forget to look at RivaTuner’s download counter on the main page to estimate approximated amount of questions you’ll be getting. If you’ll be able to do it as politely as you’re describing during at least a year, there will be loud applause for you from my side. Unfortunately, the reality is sad: I’ve seen many people with such ideas here since 2000, but nobody “survived” that. Nobody.

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    glad you kept it open.
    dude i sometimes see dumb ass newbie ? it makes ME want to flame them.
    at least i dont see "how do i unlock my 68?" threads or the "i can't unlock my 68 pci-e" f-ck i hated that!! over and over and over, dam. lol

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    How about a special newbie corner where they can try help each others if they are not able to read FAQ's or use the search button? But then again, I am not sure if that will do any good...

15. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    I don't think you should close it, but if you want to call someone a noob and RTFM then maybe you just shouldn't reply. I thought it was quite cool that the author was on hand to help answer questions. Frankly i didn't expect you personally to reply, i though it would have been nice if you did, but i wasn't asking for it, nor expecting it. Because there is a Riva Tuner forum and it was a Riva Tuner related question, i posted here.

My first experience of that made me wish you weren't here or at least didn't reply. You told me to look in the documentation which i did. I think i know why the 'Test' button disappears, because when the shader slider is enabled it's as if it's in Vista, and the test button is not present in Vista. I don't know, it's a guess and i suppose it doesn't matter anyway.

You came across to me as hostile and only because you are a moderator did i hold my tongue so to speak (or type).

I like your program, and i appreciate the fact it's free with none of the sh..stuff other programs have, like ads or button timer delays etc.

Maybe the answers are in the documentation, maybe they aren't, even so i thought i'd get help and instead i felt i got ridiculed and told to piss off.

Personally i won't start another thread in here again, if it isn't closed.

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    I think the way Unwinder handles RT questions, is the only way to do it.
    As a dev you should be the first one to know how you code works, and as well being the one to supply the answer.
    But it's like when someone is doing it for free, they get complaints from time to time from ignorant users that are to lazy to use the supplied search and information tools.
    People should be happy that there are people like Unwinder, taking their time to answer, even if such an answer doesn't always fit your emo.
    There are several commercial supporters out there who care less, and that for something you payed for.
    If you start to complain at such places, they perm ban you...
    Coding and supporting is not about people skills, its about handing the end user the tools and info they need, and if it's already posted there is no ******* excuse for not looking it up.

Just my 5 cents, about the complains.

17. bobdude

bobdude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    seems how theres nothing but bashing these days u might as well close it

18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    who said you owe them anything? your inventing a problem for yourself and throwing it back at others for blame maybe?

exactly, i never said you should so again i have no clue why you said all that. maybe thats a personal issue you should look into before responding to noob posts.
    search costs users time...answering costs you time..both use time so its either them or you.

for example, i try to help users at many forums if i have an answer or idea cause i dont mind the time for that...if i minded i wouldnt respond, not insult them or whatever, and i never tell anyone to search if i already know the answer or a link...it makes it pointless to repsnd in the first place if thats all you have to sya

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  19. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    The only thing I don't get is if time is so short, why bother answering with "RTFM noob"? You are already taking the time to answer with a redirection how much more time would it take to give a little tidbit of info? I myself would rather be ignored. Ignoring someone will either make them 1. Leave and forget about the problem or 2. RTFM. In the end you get the desired effect anyway. Might as well save yourself the headache. If you drive to work one day and there is a huge pothole in the road do you drive over that same pothole the next day? If the hole remains do you just avoid it or do you fix it yourself? I don't think I would drive over it and curse it day in and day out. There has to be a better way.

Yes I just likened noobs to potholes. I myself was a pothole once.

20. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Okay, I used the wrong word, but I assumed you were a moderator too. Replacing "moderator" with "guy that answers questions" may suit better.

That's because you don't trust people. I feel you think you are the only one that can answer everything that is asked about RivaTuner, from the hardest to the easiest questions, so you stick to the forum all the time. The truth is that there are dozens or even hundreds of people that can also answer the questions you answer. Especially if the vast majority of them are noob questions. If you start to let other people answer these posts, you will have a lot of time for all the other things you want to do.

I know you care about the user experience with RivaTuner and it's good you do, but trust me I've seen many times posts of yours that seemed like you were waiting to shoot noobs with a sniper rifle on sight. I think sometimes you should stay quiet, limit yourself to hearing others and let others respond. It's natural selection. Good answers will survive, bad answers will be bashed or proved wrong. [EDIT] Good questions will be considered, bad questions will be ignored. Many people will have to use the search button when they realize they have no choice.[/EDIT] That's how tech forums develop and evolve.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.