Do You Think That Racing Games Affect Driving??

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by biglonglenthman, Mar 19, 2007.

?

Do You Think Driving Games Affect Real Life Driving?

1. Yes, I think they do badly affect peoples driving.

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Maybe...Some they do some they dont

17 vote(s)
    34.7%
  3. No, I think Thats stupid and whoever thought of it is having a laugh :)

29 vote(s)
    59.2%
  1. biglonglenthman

biglonglenthman Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Extreme 8800GTX 621/2160
    Well Hi,

This is in defence of this, Racing Sims Affect Driving
    I want to know what you think about this? I dont belive a word of it i cant understand just how they managed to get these results, everyone drives different so please tell me how thats a fair test.....

Anyway there's a poll, just let me know your thoughts

Tom

2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Oh wow, another poll:rolleyes:

I didn't vote, because I believe that particular study is BS, it's too generalised, as are most 'scientific' (lol) studies. But racing games can affect your driving immediately after playing them, and only on a steering wheel setup imo. Playing a couple of hours GTR2 and then going for a drive usually results in 'omfg my foot is made of lead' syndrome.

3. biglonglenthman

GPU:
    HaHa, you gota love GTR 2 though, but i know what you mean i still think the study is stupid, i mean they could have been rubbish drivers to start with.
    Its just trying to get racing games banned, Germany are already proposing to ban "Violent" games :peeleft:

The UK is getting worse, more road tax for "Performance" card and that....pay per mile WTF?

4. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    no !!
    u'd have to be pretty stupid to try it in real life :O

5. biglonglenthman

GPU:
    Exactly my point entirely, I mean who genuinly thinks they can take a 90o corner at over 80Mph? NFS maybe.....but real life, NO i dont think so,

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I must point out that I'm basing my opinion entirely on how my mates drive after a gaming session, I don't have a licence :(

I just notice we get to our destination a whole lot quicker. And that my fingers are locked onto the armrests. :eek3:

7. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    my brother got in an accident for trying that :(
    there was a curvy road and he was doing 60 and we were kinda drifting and then we hit a tree and went down a little river :(
    i was in the back and luckily i was wearing my seatbelt
    that proves that my brother is stupid

8. Luvabud

Luvabud Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB

F1 cars can, but seriously be real, a game is just a game, but then people think tv soap is real, you're bound to get some retard who does.

9. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    There's no effect. No negative effect anyway. I've been hardcore into sims since I was 8 years old, yet passed my driving test first time and am a good driver (both my opinion and other peoples). If I drove like I do in sims I would be in prison and would have been banned from driving for life.

In reality I drive responsibly. I do drive enthusiastically depending on whos in the car (i.e. GF/family is more cautious than me by myself or with brother or mates) but there are some great roads around here and I always stick to the speed limits.

I have mates that drive much faster and with much less car control than I do yet they don't play any computer games let alone racing sims.

10. biglonglenthman

GPU:
    Just proves that study is BS, i passed first time and i like to think im a good driver i have drivin my dads impreza and am currently rolling in a Lotus Sunbeam,
    And i do like some of the roads around here ;) but i wouldnt risk anything its just not worth it in my eyes, if i dont feel comfortable in my ability i slow down, and im the same i take much more time with my dads car and i rarely use my mams, id be killed if anything happend to it, so i dont take the chance :p

11. Waylander

Waylander Guest

I drive quickly where appropriate and safe to do so.
    my car is pretty quick and set up to handle properly, and more inportantly has had a major brake upgrade so it stops even better than it goes, but that doesn't mean I'm about to try and drift it at 100mph...
    Having said that, if you play with a wheel/pedal setup on a big monitor then go straight out to the car there's bound to be an effect, it's just down to the driver to control themselves...

12. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Millions of people play the game and do nothing. One person plays the game, does something bad, and it's a crisis.

I'm not quite sure why gaming takes such heavy flak. It's all useless academics that make up these studies. They only look out the window of their ivory towers rarely, they see one thing go bad, and assume the world is ending. Of course, it's 100% politically motivated.

Most of these racing games people play are so unrealistic that the stunts are impossible to do in a real car anyway.

13. biglonglenthman

GPU:
    Thats certainly true,

Just curious But what you driving Waylander?
    I wish games wouldnt take flak for dumb retards who go out and be stupid

14. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    Well, let me tell you a story.

After playing GTA3 almost all weekend when I bought it, i stopped and headed to the store. Now at the store, as I was leaving there was a curb between me and the exit, that normally you would have to drive around. My first thought, almost instinctively, was just to gun and jump it. The thought cleared after just a second but it startled me a game could influence me like that.

15. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    people can be such whiners...anyone who doesn't like the way I drive after playing Grand Theft Auto should have enough sense to not be standing there on the sidewalk

16. stromchin

stromchin Master Guru

GPU:
    7900GTX
    Actually I think it affects positivelly to how much i can concentrate while driving.

17. WildStyle

WildStyle Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    He has a 2.5L Alfa 155 V6. :)thumbup::D)

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm gonna say no, because there is no racing game/sim out there that will feel the exact same way or close to what it feels like to be in a real car. It can help with the basics, but I doubt it'll ever help you in the long run.

19. Waylander

Waylander Guest

yes indeedy...
    and love every minute spent in it.. :D:D

20. biglonglenthman

GPU:
    Well i have to say, nice ride mate....my next door neighbour used to have a 155 but it was only the 2.0L T.Spark, but it was still very nice, have you done anything to it? or is it pritty much standard? dont spose you do any track days do ya?
    My dads looking to hillclimb later this year, so im going to get in with a double entry ;)

And seems were on topic of cars, wah about you wildstyle whats your ride? maybe waylander can answer that one :p

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007