Do you think suicide is coward's way out?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by kopekbaligi, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    i think suicide is cowardish, and selfish of the person who comitted. because not only aren't they brave enough to handle whatever they got, that they also hurt others and deprive them by comitting suicide.
    never had any remorse for anyone that i've known that comitted suicided.

unless of course, it's in the way nm+ said and they're going to die anyways. then it's totally understandable.

2. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    I had been fighting with depression myself for several years, I reached a low point recently which included 3 suicide attempts, thankfully I have managed to climb my way out of it (with the support of family), even though I was offered medication/counselling it turns out I didn't need it.

I'm not sure how medication can be considered help if the problems are on an emotional level, to me that is just avoiding the issue(s).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    We live in the present not the future, at this very point in time two options are presented - A live with pain or B cease to exist.

A is completely out of the question so now you are left with only one option, B...

4. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Depression is a neurological problem. It's when your brain does not regulate your excretion of serotonin. Sometimes 'talking about your problems' does not regulate it. Lot's of people need medication to rebalance their serotonin levels so that they can even begin to talk about their problems in a constructive way.

Once again your comment is an example of you assuming that one persons problems are equal to another's. Maybe your issues were laughably simplistic compared to someone else who needed medication. That is not for you to decide. Not everyone has the same support network either...more assumptions that people have equal opportunity for help as well as equal levels of depression.

Depression ranges from minor short term depression that goes away on it's own, to catatonic depression, to manic depression or chronic depression of any of the aforementioned.

5. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Exactly. These are people for whom any level of pain killers have just stopped working. There is no relief of pain coming.
    Certainly relief of pain would be ideal, but for end of life, that's just not happening.

6. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    This is a tricky one to answer becasue nobody actually knows what happens after death - do you go to hell for killing yourself for example!

I believe in euthanasia - that having a condition which makes life unbearable can be resolved by dying! THAT'S NOT COWARDLY - IT'S SENSIBLE!

As for emotional problems - Killing yourself is stupid! - Just see a doctor and get pilled up on hardcore anti depressants if life is really that bad!

STILL WANT TO DIE? - That comes under euthanasia again!

PS; I have been suicidal - for real. I have taken massive amounts of anti-d's and I have travelled the world to escape my emotional problems. I can take anything that actually happens or that other people say and do SO EASILY - but my emotions are incredibly erratic and change constantly for no reason and I refuse to take anti depressants again because YOU NEVER FEEL GOOD WHEN YOU'RE ON THEM and you're kind of an ass hole to everyone!

I don't think I will ever kill myself - I'm too sensible for it, but I can't rule it out!

7. Postalisback

GPU:
    Well sometimes talking about problems won't help alone, sometimes people need to tackle their problems.

I do not think that one persons problems are equal to anothers, everyone is an individual.

I wouldn't say that my issues were laughably simplistic at all, I have taken medication two times before, Ritalin when I was in school (aged 8 or 9) and "diagnosed" with ADHD, and another time when I was in my mid teens and was self harming/felt suicidal, although I cannot remember the name of the drug, both times they ruined my life, which is why I chose not to take the medication this time around, I chose to deal with the issues that I had without medication, counselling may have helped but I was told I would have to wait for it and I didn't want to wait.

8. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Compared to other people's problems they are, from what you wrote it seems your problems were VERY basic. But as I stated before, people's problems are not relative, it doesn't make your problems less important to know that there are people who have got it worse.

But people who take medication, long term or short, often have much much much much worse problems than simple ADHD and suicidal thoughts ( which most people have at some point in their lives ).

It's when these things become so severe that you are unable to do anything else that medication becomes a necessity.

If you have ever seen a truly depressed person, someone so depressed they can't even express themselves, someone in heavy pscyhosis or even catatonic, you would not even categorise yourself in the same situation as those people; so how can you judge their need for medication as though the situations are comparable?

Ignorance the the only answer, you have no right or basis from which to judge anyone who needs anti-depressants or heavier drugs like anti-psychotics. If talking your problems over with friends gets you over depression, I think it's safe to say you weren't very depressed compared to a lot of people who REALLy have depression.

9. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Seems i plucked a few nerves.

Sure i do, I give myself that right. I can judge who i want, when i want and by what ever criteria i want. I can form what ever opinion i so choose.
    Now a question for you.
    Who are you, to deny me that right? What gives you the power to say what rights i do or don't have, and why should i care if you deny me ____ right? You can deny me the right to judge people as i see fit, but you can't actually stop me from judging people.

Suffering can end. Terminal diseases are only terminal if they can't be cured.
    If someone told you, you were going to die in a month, and you killed yourself that day, then 2 weeks later a cure was found, then guess who's the idiot.

If you're depressed, get help, change your life, i'm not saying it'll be easy, but it's better than suicide.
    You might be depressed now, and for the next 10 years, but you might live another 60 happy depression free years after that, things change.

So i stand by what i said, people that commit suicide, are idiots. They took the easy way out, instead of making an effort to change their lives. They failed to endure.

Maybe it's just me, if i was in a lot of pain, and had a terminal disease, i'd stick it out until the end. I'll suffer a few more days, months, years... as the next day there might be a cure, a fix. Maybe i'm just stronger than other people.
    But weakness is not an excuse. Ignorance, cowardice, these are no excuses.
    Like i said, i intend to live forever. No amount of pain will deter me.
    Like i said, when i was a teen i considered suicide, It's a bit of a long story, and i was that person in a lot of pain, but i stuck it out, and couldn't be happier of the outcome.
    You want the long sob story, pm me and i'll give it to you.

10. Postalisback

GPU:
    I used to feel like that very regularly, that I couldn't express myself, I have had panic attacks on a few occasions before as well.

I think that other methods should be used before resorting to medication. My brother was taking both types for years (antipsychotics and antidepressants) and is now in prison, the effects those drugs had on him have made me very wary of such drugs (looking like a zombie, not responding to me).

Also, I do have friends, they are all online though, I don't have any friends that I see on a regular basis.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Funny stuff. You say all that but, teen angst made you consider suicide. Given that, I think it's more than likely you'd be rather quick to end your suffering if you were in excruciating pain. You're posturing for a crowd. I judge you as very immature.

12. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    Bunch of f***ing idiots posting in this thread. I have had a close family member end it. It is HORRIBLE.

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    It is horrible regardless of how or why. I'm not in their shoes so I can't judge them. All I can say is I'm sorry for your loss.

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yeah, her rigid stance on this is pretty shocking and immature. While I agree that you do in fact have the right to judge however you want, calling people straight up idiots and "weak" for killing themselves is pretty stupid. She has no idea what some of those people go through. She can read about it and scoff, thinking she's a "stronger person" then they ever could be, but I guarantee if something on a catastrophic level happened to her life, the suicide option would be the favored piece of the choice pie.

15. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    But in choosing option B, you are not relieved from any pain, because it is only possible to feel relief while alive. So whichever option you choose, there will be no relief.

16. Jayaitch

Jayaitch Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 460

How could you possibly know this without first hand experiencing it?

Constant excruciating pain has the ability to change even the most stern opinions and beliefs.

Sounds like idle thoughts without much thought.

17. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    The relief of pain is not a feeling of bliss, it is simply the absence of pain. Death achieves that. Hence why terminally ill people want euthanasia.

18. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    umm, if one ceases to exist then nothing has no meaning, then why stay alive if when we die the same thing will happen to anyone who accomplished more while alive?

19. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    lol@ implying life is meaningless without god. What a sad view of life.

I'm not going to waste my breath explaining something you can never comprehend. Arguing with religious people = head + wall.

20. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    I didn't even mention anything about religion. I was just asking.
    I know better than to start bashing someone else's beliefs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.