Do you think OC'ing can damage a 7900GT?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by capoz77, May 9, 2006.

1. capoz77

capoz77 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560ti Twin FrozR
    With all these 7900GT issues at the moment - there seems to be a lot of talk about being careful about OC'ing the 7900GT beyond factory clocks without adding custom cooling and memory heatsinks.

There seems to be a consensus if you OC too far with standard cooling which doesnt look amazing I have to admit you can permanently damage the card?

I was aware as soon as you reach the clocks that cause artifacting or glitches just lower down a notch and you'll be fine. I also thought the cards simply throttle down if pushed to far to prevent themselves from burning out.

I'm due to receive my Gainward 7900GT 512 Goes Like Hell 580/1650 clock. Once ive certified its stable at these clocks i'm going to begin the abuse!

No volt mods, bios mods etc, just stock cooling, gainward heatsinks, and increases of 5mhz a time on the core until it bleeds, then 5 mhz on the memory.

Theres been a lot of debate about it. One view being "this is my 3rd RMA i'm not risking damaging my new card by OC'ing without custom cooling" the other being "if the card can't handle itself with stock cooling i'm just going to keep sending it back time and time again until I get a good one"

I get the impression some people are getting a very bad crash or artifacting from a high overclock and the card then just doesn't seem to be as reliable or perform the same :frown:

What do you reckon?

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    nah... 7900gt overclock well... mine does, thousands others do, and there's some that don't...

3. Krizby

Krizby Maha Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    I get artifacts, lock ups with my base EVGA 7900GT 450/1320 Mhz, these cards are just bad to begin with and the stock cooling is really inadequate. If you get a good card and plan to overclock it, make sure you put some heatsink on the IC chips on the back of the card.

4. Hah.....lmao.....and this from someone who was arguing with me about OC'ing his 7900GT and saying it was safe. ROFL...really this is just too much now......I don't get any lockups from my card at stock clocks or when I OC to 803/1840. And before you start your childish flaming again, I am buying a 7900GT and it should be enroute to me as we speak. So no ATI fanboy remarks please.......

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2006

5. Krizby

Krizby Maha Guru

GPU:
    3090 Watercooled
    um, did you even read carefully what I wrote eh, airhead boy ? my card would just throttle and artifacts without any overclocking or volt mod, with volt mod I could get the core to 700mhz + (temp below 65 degree celcius) but it will just throttle down during game. The potential is there, just my bad luck to get bad card, and so will you heh.

Anyways it's you who started the flaming, don't speak like your the innocent one.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  6. Nishchal Sharma

Nishchal Sharma Master Guru

GPU:
    inno3d geforce (2X7800GT)
    Well i am not a 7900 user (cause I got my lovely 5200 ha ha ha :):))
    But I just want to ask one thing ......Why would someone want to OC a 7900 ...I mean It is one of the fastest card ...And Humans didn't recognise the framerate that is above 30 ........(Means above 30 is good enough )..

More over those cards will cost you about 500-600 USD right??

(Keep those 7900 for about 2 years then think of OC)...

peace for all :rolleyes:

7. weiran

weiran Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT 256MB + 2x 19" TFTs
    The difference between 30fps and 60fps is pretty dramatic. You can definatly preceive it. Above 60fps and it starts getting the same really.

The main reason to overclock, is that this card still doesn't handle the most intensive games with full AA and AF at a high resolution. It's also about the challenge too! It's like buying a 7900GTX at the price of a 7900GT.

8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    Actually, it's quite discernable to the eye. I can't say for certain exactly what point higher framerates become moot (I would guess somewhere between 60-120), but I know that when my games dip down to the 30s, I definately can tell.

This has been debated before, and I'm not trying to get that started, but it's probably too late...

And on the original topic, I can really tell the difference in games from my stock 7900gt (500/1500) to the v-modded OC (650/1800). It's like buying a 7900gtx for $300.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  9. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    The human eye cannot tell the difference between 61fps and 120fps, but assisted by the hand with which you move your mouse when playing games, you will be able to tell the difference ;).

10. Nishchal Sharma

Nishchal Sharma Master Guru

GPU:
    inno3d geforce (2X7800GT)
    You are right man.......If you have a 7900 just push that detail level to max and just turn on vertical sync....... this makes games look really good...(I have tried POP ww on a 6600...really looks stunning.......:rolleyes: )

11. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi

I wish this was true.

12. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Yes. You can damage a card by overclocking.

13. WCASD

WCASD Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    I'm sorry, but that is wrong, unless I have uber-eyes.

14. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB

Err... You seem to be missing my point. The reason why 120fps feels smoother in games than for example 61 fps, is because humans can detect the difference between the two fps's using also their other senses such as touch. It's called coordination. That's why I like my CS:S at 100fps rather than 70 LOL :).

15. Syncrod

Syncrod Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GT1030
    ah yess i remember when i had one those early this year!
    enjoyed those live FEAR slideshows :)

i dont know what games you play but i've seen FEAR on a 7800GT @ 1440x900 and i runs great. so i wouldn't overclock it.

but then again i said that about other games with my 3200+ @ 6800gs now look at me push 2.5ghz and 415.
    i guess the craving for speed will always be there. i've found my max safe overclock!!
    push it and see how far it goes :speed:

16. Syncrod

Syncrod Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GT1030
    yep not everyone is the same (similiar but not the same)

17. Girn

Girn Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gt 703/2000
    what kind of idiot asks if you can damage a card by o/cing hahaha u shouldnt even be overclocking at all.

18. capoz77

capoz77 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560ti Twin FrozR
    :rolleyes: haha someone always takes it personally!

19. mdun6

mdun6 Member

GPU:
    Evga 7900gt
    You have to think about how chip manufactures come up with clock speeds, they hook them up and see how far the chip can be ran until it crashes then back a certain percent. That means that not all cards are going to be able to be over clocked the same amount. I really feel that the video card companies are pushing these chip manufactures to give them faster chips and the technology isn't ready for these kinds of speeds.