Do you SLI or not?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by flimbo, Jan 20, 2010.

?

Do you SLI or not?

1. Yes

115 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No

89 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. YuKsS

YuKsS Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    agree, i had that 9800gtx+ and amd dual core 6000+ at 3.5ghz, monitor 19" 1440*900 and can say that i never reach those fps with my old rig.

2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Powercolor 6900XTX
    Of course i do SLI, since running with just single card, thats like have just one ball!

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3090 H2O
    Yes , SLI and Crossfire lover here :D , awsome tech

4. ortucis

ortucis Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 1060 Extreme
    Sounds like you both are lying to me. Trying to justify your expensive upgrades. It's ok, we understand. :)

Lemme guess, you upgraded to Windows 7 because Vista x64 after SP-1 wasn't fast and optimised enough for you next-gen gaming hardware? Still have that XP installed in dual boot? Ever tried optimising the services running in background (among other things) to squeeze max performance out of windows even on low-end hardware? .. Oh wait, I am sure you did all this already.

5. YuKsS

YuKsS Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    ..... lol.. and lol.. i have had several vga, two 9600gt, two 9800gtx+ and my currents cards, i just said that i never get those fps you are "getting" with my old rig, my x2 was oced at 3.5ghz on water and still no 40fps in crysis all high dx 10..

6. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    i love my trusty 9800gtx+`s :) sli ftw

7. bloowhalez

bloowhalez Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270
    why would i sli when my 9800 gtx ($99) runs mw2, dragonage, dirt2, fallout 3, all at max settings max frames (75+ all day)

learn to buy one good card *****!

EDIT: *****= NUKKA

8. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    55nm 260gtx 750/1511/2406
    What's comical about SLI right now is, I can't even think of a new upcoming game where a single geforce300 will actually be needed to play at legit fps. It seems like Crysis came out then PC game technology started going backwards. We'll all be playing EA 2d sprite games by 2011.

9. GandalfGreyhelm

GandalfGreyhelm Member

GPU:
    GTX280 SLi / 9600GT PhysX
    Looking back, what I find comical, is the amount of money I shelled out for 3 GTX280's - that was, financially, pretty crippling - bear in mind I bought them about a week after they were launched!

Saying that, I'm looking forward to replacing my current SLi setup with 1 Fermi, and, as R0ach says, I feel that should be sufficient for my future needs.

I'm also looking forward to less noise, less problems with custom profiles, an extra PCIe slot, and less power consumption.

Don't get me wrong, I've SLi'd since the 7 series, but I'm glad that the need (in my mind) for that extra oomph may be at an end.

I'm sure nVidia realise this too, and wonder with their approach will be to SLi marketing in the future.

G. G.

10. prodigy *

prodigy * Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 470gtx
    SLI is the doggs balls never had a problem since i got my clasified with it wot so ever.
    cant wait for fermi and crysis 2 .....

11. eagled1

eagled1 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SLI 4GB
    Trust me I CAN run the game maxed out simple as that at 1920 x1200 average framerate 42fps. I was referring to your original post...please look at my specs. Some of us don't want to wait for a next generation card...SLI overcomes that problem. It seems pointless to badger people that have the means and desire to run games at a higher framerate than a slide show with maxed settings.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Been there. Wouldn't do it again.

13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    GTX285 SLI is a monster config.It can max Crysis,1920x1200 8xAA with 40+ minimum fps.
    View attachment 3019
    A photo from my friend's setup.

14. Reciprocity

Reciprocity Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 X Trio
    I've used SLI since I started with two 8800GTs, which I was totally satisfied with, then with two 280's up until my second 280 died. It was great knowing that I could pump up all the settings in pretty much any game and really never have to worry about performance problems, and I was just about devastated after losing the second 280.

But since discarding it, I haven't had any problems running any of my games at 1900x1200; the only real sacrifice I've had to make is lowering AA on a few. I haven't played Crysis in probably 6+ months after running through every nook and cranny and getting all the oooohs and ahhhhs out of my system, that's probably one of the very few games that I might have an issue playing maxed out at this point but I have no desire to play it again.

I honestly regret having paid so much money for the 2nd 280 (strictly as an earlier adopter) now that I don't feel I really ever had a need for it so early on. That's my own personal situation though, I'm sure there are plenty of people who WOULD benefit from two SLI'd high-end cards and running 16x AA on everything, but I personally don't and in the future will likely regard SLI as more of an uprade option after my system has aged (rather than buying a new card) as others have remarked.

At this point I'm holding out for Fermi...

15. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I just got my SLI set up today...this is the first time i have tried it.

I have 2 XFX GTX 260 Black Edition cards......I am hoping to get thru the next year with these in sli and i figure I can

16. mirunit

mirunit Member

GPU:
    GTX 260 x2 SLI
    For the price, a SLI setup is nice. You can get top tier performance off incremental hardware purchases.

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I've never had an sli setup before, I've had only single and crossfire. But if sli is just as good as crossfire or better, if the budget would allow it, I would have no issues going to an sli rig. I personally don't like the idea of stacking more cards for more power, as I feel it's not just the most efficient way of getting more power, but if it works, then it works.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah getting 1.5x performance for 2x the cost isn't exactly value for money.....

19. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB
    good luck on your exams.
    According to New zealand post

http://www.nzpost.co.nz/NZPost/Templates/ReclaimRed/RateCalculator2/InternationalParcelsIEC.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={379DD4A4-49E7-4F22-A06C-733B58A21C55}&NRORIGINALURL=%2fCultures%2fen-NZ%2fOnlineTools%2fRatefinder%2fInternationalParcels&NRCACHEHINT=Guest

it would cost 102 NZD for premium and 37 NZD for International air,i would say go for latter.

Send me an email regarding how to pay,is paypal ok with you.

My email:cliffgamerz@gmail.com

Thank you
    Clifford

20. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Ok, First you say you can play crysis with “30-35 FPS in areas with heavy action and over 40 everywhere“(1280x1024,0xAA,veryhigh,DX10) and now you say that you are using XP, so no DX10 for you, that indicates that you run crysis at 1280x1024,0xAA,high,DX9 I am correct?

Btw with this setting (1280x1024,0xAA,high,DX9) you fps are 25FPS in areas with heavy action and 35 everywhere.