1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you need any drivers for a corsair NVMe drive on windows 10 to get the best performance?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by alexander1986, Apr 5, 2019.

1. alexander1986

alexander1986 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    so was looking at getting a corsair force mp510 480gb off a friend for a great price, it got a decent review on this site before:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/corsair_force_series_mp510_m_2_ssd_review,3.html

the speeds are way overkill for anything I do anyway (gaming) but still nice upgrade from an ancient regular SSD drive in my case,
    but what I wonder is it seems there are no corsair nvme drivers on their site only a SSD toolbox utility to update firmware/maintenance of disk etc, and in the guru3d review its claimed :

"To be able to make use of the new NVMe based devices inside your PC you have to have a proper driver installed, this can be downloaded at the Samsung website. This enables NVMe devices to function within the existing operating system I/O stack protocol."

that is from the link I pasted above, I know windows10 has a native nvme driver that should work just fine, but does the review imply that I could download samsung nvme drivers and use those instead? will there be any performance increase vs the native windows driver?

appreciate any help !

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ah, no you do not need an NVMe driver as the latest Windows 10 all include native NVMe 1.2/1.3 protocol support. I will adjust that bit in the article.

386SX and alexander1986 like this.
  3. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I see! just for curiosity, did you use the native win10 driver in the review, and/or can in fact a samsung nvme driver be used on a corsair nvme disk?

because the interesting question is why samsung has their own nvme driver that gives their disks better performance in win10 while other manufacturers dont always have a driver, i've seen intel has their own nvme driver for example, but corsair not it seems...

I believe, not 100% sure, that i've read somewhere you can use nvme drivers like samsungs for non-samsung nvme disks, but forgot where and cant seem to find it on google at the moment...

all good either way :)

4. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    found the site I was talking about with different nvme drivers, it was here: https://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers-96.html

seems interesting atleast, shouldnt be a risk to try atleast?

EDIT: posted the question on win-raid aswell, anyway from what I can tell there is a slight performance boost on many nvme drives by using the open source openfabrics nvme driver in the case where your disk manufacturer does not supply their own drivers, in some cases even better than the disk manufacturers own drivers,

but again, slight boost nothing big it seems, for what its worth !

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019

5. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080FTW
    As far as i know windows does not have its own built in trim function( i have Auslogics defrag pro set as default) so using the official drivers and software is the better option, at least with Samsungs software trim can be used on different drives, works on Sandisk Ultra II and on Ocz Vertex, as for performance being overkill.....it wont be once you put data on there.

SplashDown likes this.
  6. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    windows does have/support trim and its scheduled automatically to run unless you disable that in the defrag/optimize tool yourself , then you can run it manually on command instead, it will say "optimize" for SSD/NVMe drives and "defrag" if its a HDD

to run the defrag/optimize tool just press start to get the start menu up and type defrag and "defrag and optimize drives" should show up, or just go to windows administrative tools and it will be there as an app,

can read more about it here: https://winaero.com/blog/trim-ssd-windows-10/

and here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-ensure-trim-enabled-windows-10-speed-ssd-performance

or here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8933-optimize-defrag-drives-windows-10-a.html

you can google the subject, any other legit source will tell you the same information aswell,

can also check if the trim function is enabled by running a command prompt with admin rights and typing "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify"
    if you get the result NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Disabled) this means trim is ENABLED if its 1 then its DISABLED

so you can:

let windows do it automatically on a schedule (this is default on a fresh win10 install, runs weekly)

or manually, by disabling the scheduling and/or doing it on demand from the windows app,

or manually from a SSD toolbox/etc downloaded from disk manufacturer,

or manually via powershell with: Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter <drive letter> -ReTrim -Verbose

so you dont need manufacturers drivers to trim a NVme drive, just like you dont need to use manufacturers drivers for SATA SSDS to trim them either...

as to your second statement: " as for performance being overkill.....it wont be once you put data on there " what do you mean with this ? I dont do anything except some gaming and do you mean that if I put some data on my nvme disk it will suddenly become slow/slower than a sata ssd? unless I trim it regularly? (which again, win10 does by default) just curious :)

EDIT: added some extra info

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the drivers attempt to fine tune the smaller file accesses, but with the recent spectre bs, you might not get peak max performance on anything but the storahci driver.

alexander1986 likes this.
  8. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    I did some digging and the openfabrics opensource 1.5 nvme driver gives in some cases a significant, above margin of error increase in all metrics vs the native win10 nvme driver in those cases where the manufacturer does not supply their own drivers like samsung do for example, etc, even on a samsung nvme disk it gave overall better performance than samsungs own drivers in some benchmarks I took a look at,

atleast from reading a lot about this on the win-raid forums and looking at benchmarks from there thats what it would seem like, the native driver is still plenty good for anyone though and none of this is ever noticeable in games or such :p

Anyway, now that you mention spectre, I made a thread asking about spectre and hardware mitigation on the 9 generation coffee lake cpus here: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/s...00k-cpus-performance-related-question.426082/ but since nobody replied yet and since you mentioned spectre, maybe I can ask you also so I will just paste my question here:

I've heard/read that the 9700k and 9-series in general have spectre mitigation on hardware level, correct? does this mean that the performance on these cpus is exactly the same as if the spectre mitigation was completely disabled by software, or is there still some penalty ?

would running a tool like InSpectre that can disable spectre/meltdown protection on older cpu like ivybridge, bring any performance benefit at all on a coffee lake cpu? etc,

cheers!

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Not all spectre forms are hardware mitigated, and the inspectre tool doesn't seem to disable certain mitigations that affect disk IO.

alexander1986 likes this.
  10. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Hi,
    can you post links to the Open NVMe driver benchmarks? I have MP510 2TB and HP EX920 500GB and both of these have no drivers and no utilities [corsairs utility is so old and just doesn't work]
    So I wonder If i should install Open NVMe drivers.

11. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    Its like microsoft's driver for AHCI (storahci) and intel's driver iaStor. iaStor was always give better speeds on all SSDs. So I guess its the same for nvme drives, samsung's nvme drivers will make them throttle less etc.

I know that back in the day storahci just wouldnt support trim feature, Microsoft always lagged behind other companies' driver solution for solid state drives.

12. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I use same prog. works great & features ect.

13. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    See here: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/guide-nvme-drivers-which-driver-for-which-card.422269/

TLDR: While the MS drivers provide standard performance you usually get a bit more by using device specific drivers from its maker.
    Using drivers from other makers than the drive is not recommended (different hardware ID in INF file; change needs new signing of files OR start in DEV mode every time / disable driver signature enforcement ).

Have to check HH''s comment about MS driver supporting NVME 1.3 now. Last time I checked it was 1.0e I think.
    The higher the version, the higher the feature set and performance you get out of the driver.

EDIT:
    Source: https://nvmexpress.org/resources/drivers/windows-driver-microsoft-inbox/
    (and the link to MS there)
    nvme-express writes MS supports 1.0e, while on the MS page it gives a reference to NVME spec 1.2 ...
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn: Would it be possible to provide your source so I may update my thread, please? :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 11:09 AM