Do you like Noise/Grain effect inGame?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Sutura, Feb 2, 2011.

?

Do you like the Noise/Grain/Motion blur effect?

1. Yes, sir, may I have another.

28.4%
  2. Negative

71.6%
  1. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I don't like the grain effect because I like a nice crisp picture.

Motion blur I never liked, its the most unrealistic effect ever. Never in life have I seen things go blurry.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    You've obviously not been punched or kicked in the head then lol :eyes:

Don't think it meant to be realistic, its meant to make it look like a movie, but movies don't use it for effect, they use it to cut down on judder due to 24fps isn't enough for fast moving scenes, but using it with 60fps tends to just look weird and tacked on.

3. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    lol true..that point of view is what it all about..its a salt in the meal..just makes it look like something movie style or what so ever.

4. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT

Well, three broken noses, broken finger, broken hand, broken wrist, half dozen black eyes, bruised ribs, bruised tail bone, a few light scars. I use to not mind fighting, never lost a one on one fight, almost all my injuries were from fighting multiple people and losing, LOL.

5. Sutura

Sutura Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GT210 0.5/1680x1050
    Dude, my sensai used to say: "If you see someone that keeps coming back with bruises on every training session- he has some serious issues with himself":D It's not bad to run away if you don't have what to fight for :)

6. Behelit

Behelit Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 Hydro
    On console Yes
    On PC No

7. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, but many times running away isn't an option, especially against multiple attackers.

Anyhooser, its all a matter of personal preference, and i don't buy the "PC users should always turn it off" crap, why would i want the PC version to look "worse" than the console game.
    If grain was used to hide poor textures in ME, then why the hell didn't they use it in Dragon Age which certainly needed hiding.

Its an artistic choice, to give it that old sci-fi movie look in ME, or horror B-Movie in Left4Dead, some people dislike it in movies and games, while others like myself like it in both.

Surely its nice to have a choice??

8. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Nope, Film grain effect is stupid, and I almost always freak out, and think my graphics cards are broken, until I realize its an effect. Also it just doesn't seem to really improve the overall feel of the game at all (I'm not playing a movie).

9. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I'm not going to look through all of those for the specs, but 35mm is also known as the format. There is 35mm film and 35mm digital.
    Randomly looking around that list Black Swan lists Canon EOS in its camera equipment. Green Hornet, was shot with a Red. I'm sure more movies that are intended to be in 3D from production will be shot with the Red.

Lets check out some other recent popular movies on IMDB from the past (because I don't watch many movies). Avatar and Tron uses the Sony F35. Book of Eli and The Social Network uses Red. 127Hours uses Canon EOS. Well, Ok, thats not many good examples...

Directors are shifting over to digital HD cameras and digital storage just like how movie theatres are shifting to digital projectors which basically use a hard drive to load the movie instead of a reel. You don't expect in 5 years, people will still be using film? In 5 years, 4K resolution (double 1080P) will become the standard. And you know what? It's still going to be called 35mm, because that is the format.

Yeah, most people are still shooting in 35mm film, but that doesn't mean there is absurd amount of noise that was like in the graphics settings that Mass Effect portrays.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  10. ct03

ct03 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260
    When Imdb lists the negative format as 35mm it is always film.
    To use some of your examples: The format of Book of Eli is given as Redcode RAW (4K). The Social Network: Redcode RAW. Tron: Digital HDCAM.

The sensors of those cameras may be a 35mm equivalent, but Imdb isn't stupid enough to confuse readers by listing the sensor size.

The transition to Digital has been very slow, and it'll be a while before every DP has made the switch. Way more than 5 years for sure.
    Regardless, YOU said that as of 2011 "no one uses film anymore" when in reality almost everything is shot on film.

11. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Depends on the movie, you ever saw the Ghostbusters BluRay?

35mm is the printed format at the moment, there is nothing to suggest that it wont be around in the future, everything, whether it was shot with analog, or digital camera's, it has to be printed on 35mm film for distribution, as digital cinemas aren't that widespread, and the ones that do have digital projectors, are usually showing 3D movies.

In 5 years people will still be using Film unless digital improves alot by then, many directors and cinematographers dislike digital, even in the 4k variety, and won't use it, others will mix digital with Film.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  12. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Well.. I'd say it depends on the game, but I prefer no Grain and no Blur..

13. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    nope don't like it in ME 1 & 2 it was overdone and unbearable I turned it off soon as I could