Do you have Cortana enabled?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by BedantP, Sep 6, 2015.

?

Do you have Cortana enabled?

Poll closed Nov 5, 2015.
  1. Yes.

19.3%
  2. No.

80.7%
  1. BedantP

BedantP Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 960 1500Mhz/2009Mhz
    I know, this is a silly question, but Cortana seems to eat CPU resources and a lot of RAM. And the location service is crap, it seems to be running in the background all the time. My aim is to make this PC completely barebones, and maximize gaming performance. I see Cortana in my top list, but I can't decide whether to do that. Finally, I have come to you guys, and want to know your opinion on Cortana. If you have it disabled, why?

Thanks, in advance.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Nope, disabled it when I was running Pro, not included with LTSB

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I use it just as much as I use Siri. I don't have any problems with it.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No I don't find it useful. I also didn't like that it includes web search results when all I want are search results from the PC.

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    LOL, yeah right. That would imply I'm using a Microsoft account to sign into my PC. They couldn't pay me to do that.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Didn't even use it on my WP, it was as much use in the UK as a potato, all it ever did was open web results

7. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    Last time I checked it was not supported here anyways... :D Not even in English because localization blergh, kind of same with my Xbox One kinect voice commands do not work even in English (option is greyed out) when I localize to Finland. I could totally use it in English but fok all.

8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    I don't use Cortana. I'll have to see about completely disabling it.

On a related note, I watched someone using Siri last weekend at a family outing. They were looking for the same info I was searching for. I simply typed "hood canal bridge closed" in my phone. The top result had my answer. Altogether, about 10 seconds. The Siri user had to ask it 3 or 4 different times in creative ways to get the answer they were looking for. Took over a minute. I guess that's progress. :3eyes:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  9. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    Cortana made me upgrade to 10 :p /jk no really it is useful sometimes, one less click to a web search, it can answer quick facts, convert units, currency and do some math, and when listening to online radio I can ask her to recognize what song it is and so on, but the most useful I guess is setting calendar events and reminders, its just so easy that way

and i see it barely uses any resources at all, the one app i want gone is that photos s*** which has hours of cpu time and every time i leave my pc idling it shows a 20min long graph with 100 CPU usage

10. BedantP

BedantP Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 960 1500Mhz/2009Mhz
    Well, it's true that all it does is act like Bing sometimes. I search for my docs but get bing results. Microsoft Account sucks too. Disabled it.

11. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    Can't use it in Canada without changing your region to U.S. Sorry, it's not that important.

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    No, why would i have it enabled?

13. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    It doesn´t support Portuguese so i didn´t even tried it. But even if i could i´d not use it.

14. Yecnot

Yecnot Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 270 2GB
    Not until someone programs an animated body for her. Cortana was more than a ****ty half-circle, it's 2015 ffs.

15. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    This

16. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Don't really use it, but is enabled

17. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I disabled it from day one. I tried it once in a preview build and decided it was stupid and unnecessary. I don't use Google voice on my tablet either.

I do use my MS account to log in though. I think it's the only way to fly. I've never understood why anyone would choose to miss out on it's benefits.

18. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2145-7550
    Microsoft accounts suck and so does Cortana. I've never even had a customer ask about, let alone use it. O&O ShutUp Windows 10 FTW!

19. fellix

fellix Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA² GTX 1080 Ti
    I don't find any voice assistant useful on my desktop setup anyway, so I disabled Cortana service right away, after the OS installation. Barking orders to the mic in a hope the thing will catch it at least every 2-nd time looks much clumsier than a swift KBM action. It is much more suitable for mobile devices, with limited input flexibility.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    No, I've disabled all of Microsoft's data collection. If anyone saw their policy before they reworded it to make it less honest they would tell M$ to go suck a bag of fat dongers.

Part of the reason why it's constantly running in the background, regardless of whether it's disabled or not, could be because it's the system's entire search function is the Cortana program (whether or not it's the personalized voice-enabled version). It seems that way, but I'm not entirely sure.