Do you guys use vsync?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Saifz, Mar 6, 2011.

?

Do you use vsync?

1. If yes why?

191 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. If No why?

117 vote(s)
    38.0%
  1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It may be you havent tuned into it yet.
    If so, dont go looking for it!

2. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    I guess tearing in shooter games would be more likely to happen in those closeup fast gunfights when I'm busy concentrating on killing the enemy before he kills me and If I'm concentrating on that there's no time to admire the scenery.

3. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    In that case eyecandy would not matter in any game as there is no time to see it if your busy trying not to get killed !

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    nope like he said it can make less tearing in some games and a little smoother image (the one in nvcpl or rivatuner's d3d, but i used only the one in nvcpl)... some hate it, like TF2 or Avatar - you can see it has lower fps and kinda laggy camera.. its ok with; FXIV, Dirt2, MafiaII, Metro2033, RE5 and few more..

The best for me personally is 4 frames to render ahead, vsync app controlled (off ingame) and triplebuffer on in nvcpl profile, well that's in most games.

I've been having this conversation few times and every time it ended i was saying bs,.. but no really i can help, not always but it can.

I mean what's so hard to understand here, it makes 3rd buffer and this 3rd buffer means more fps storage - less tearing.
    Same goes for frames to render ahead, with the right ratio it can be better..again not always esp. in fps games then yea its good to use 1-2.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

5. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    It says right in the control panel: Turning on this setting improves performance when Vertical sync is also turned on.

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    and...

I turned it on when i wasn't using vsnyc and it helped with less tearing.. so now what are you gonna call the vsync cops? lol

7. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    I do not even visit crappy Anandtech since about (well whenever the 6800Ultra paper launched till it was avail to masses (so April-Dec 2004+) they told a pack of lies about it after Nvidia told them to over the PureVideo scandle that had a massive thread there.

Triple Buffering does not work without V-Sync enabled and is not even if it did work with V-Sync disabled !

Anyone thinking it works is suffering the placebo effect !

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    and you suffer from all knowing myths syndrome.

It makes 3rd buffer regardless of vsync on or off. And this 3rd buffer can help if you're not using vsync - less tearing, not always though.

now take it or leave it, just don't say those who tested it imagined it, the only one who imagined it is you by saying it doesn't work at all.

9. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    I do not suffer from anything !

I can read though and have a long memory.

Fact is anyone in this thread who said Triple Buffering does not work without V-Sync enabled is CORRECT !

Fact is I do not need any of that crap on my monitor so no real issue to me. :)

Another fact is tell some peeps anything and they will believe it even if its a magic pill (which is actually sweetie/candy) to make them feel better (again placebo effect).

10. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    If any of the games you're using are DirectX based - you're not using triple buffering, you're rendering ahead. Completely different.

This will indeed work whether v-sync is enabled or not, and confusingly, some dev's have an option for 'triple buffering' in their games, even though what they are implementing is a render ahead queue.

11. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    You know Gunner !

I think some of these peeps are getting confused with Triple Buffering and what you just mentioned !

AFAIK it was always set to 1 by default but now I looked and its 3 without me touching it !

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This looks like an interesting way to change the framerate to closer match the refresh rate of the display (reducing the appearance of split screen).
    I imagine it needs a different setting for different games.
    The performance of the PC will matter too, so the settings you use may not apply well to another PC.

13. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Absolutely 100% yes.

Personal preference has always been for image quality so tearing i literally cant stand. That and triple buffering are the only things i have forced on in my universal profile (GTX 480 latest WHQL).

In fact I brought a 5850 card a while back when they where top of the line and i took it back the second i heard they couldn't force vsync!

As i say its personal preference but for me its a necessity

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I use Vsync in pretty much every game out there. Either through game settings, drivers, or by using D3Doverrider. I don't use it only in Team Fortress 2 because it causes stuttering and adds to input lag.

That being said anyone not using Vsync in Single Player games should be booted out of this thread and sent to ophthalmologist.

15. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580

@ Noisiv, You seem to know as little about this topic as you do asking multiple question in multiple threads about game profiles +NvInspector and AA etc.

WTF kind of dumb statement was that to make above ?

I only play SP and have never seen tearing on my own PC as always have high end CRT monitors of which the current one (4weeks old approx) is better than any monitor you will ever own (any type esp LCD).

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    im not confused by anything esp with frames to render ahead, the thing (triple buffer) can have an affect when enabled - again it can help with some games (less tearing) not with all, some have a negative affect.

End of story on my end.

17. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Not in DirectX games.

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    oh yes in dx too! Dirt2, FFXIV, Metro2033, MafiaII, RE5 (almost any net framework game)... now go back to what you're trained to believe.:wanker:

I'm not gonna talk about this anymore, because really its a fcking never ending circle of who's right and who's wrong.

19. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB

Unless you are forcing it with some tool, you are not using triple buffer in DX.

20. qqiiipp

qqiiipp Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 970
    I never forced anything trough nvcp... except when ingame options does not include vsync. And i also never notice any difference when trying out the "olmyghty" tripple buffer crap... maybe because 99% of todays games are DX coded which makes it simply useless most of times. I hear it is possible with some 3rd party software to force tripple buffering to be used on Direct3D but seriosly... i see no reason to make all this just to gain some extra 2 or 5 fps that i probably will never see or feel. End of story.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011