Do you guys use vsync?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Saifz, Mar 6, 2011.

?

Do you use vsync?

1. If yes why?

191 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. If No why?

117 vote(s)
    38.0%
  1. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    You guys shouldn't be using VSYNC for competitive play anyway.

I use it for SP only, for MP no VSYNC but I'll use the ingame FPS capping method if available.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I was the only one who said that. You play competitive enough where you need that perfect lack of input lag, it begins to annoy you outside of playing competitively, lol.

3. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Well duh, they aren't working as hard hence the lower temps. I always laugh when I see people complain about low GPU usage when they've got vsync on. Did I say laugh? I meant facepalm.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I have a Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD and Samsung SyncMaster EX2220. The 2333HD is a 23" Native 1080P LCD, and the EX2220 is a 21" Native 1080P LED. The EX2220 I got on clearance for $140. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a decent display. Sales work wonders.

As for the video....sorry, all I have is a MiniDV cam and no way to connect to my PC....BUT, if you're into MMO's....World of Warcraft covers what you're asking for, specifically, the end-game content as it requires a lot of quick movements and camera angle changes. A fight referred to by WoW players as "The Princes" would provide the best example as you're fighting 3 "bosses" that change focus while trying to dodge multiple effects that cause damage, requiring the camera angle to change constantly while moving around.

5. qqiiipp

qqiiipp Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 970
    I always use V-sync ON no matter if there is FPS loss. I don't really care about higher frames as long as it play smooth i don't care. Also to prevent screen tearing and to reduse the GPU usage when its not needed, which also reduse the temps.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Isn't it nice to see people trying to force personal opinion as fact, good stuff:bang:

Have to laugh at people who still think tearing only occurs when framerate goes higher than your refresh rate, it doesn't work like that, and i've played games with no tearing at 100fps and others with lots of tearing at 25fps.

If i played MP FPS's i wouldn't use it, but when your on them image quality is of lower importance than in SP gaming.

In Single Player i don't just dislike tearing, most importantly i cannot game when the framerate is inconsistent, a solid 60fps is much smoother than 60-100ps, and many times i will use VSync to cap my framerate at 50 and sometimes even 30fps, as overall its just much better looking, and easier on the eye.

7. AshCation

AshCation Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX580
    Yes , or screen tearing kill me :l

I dont know if i lose fps or image quality , I never played with it off.

8. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Never really have used it. In most games that I have, it's caused horrible mouse lag (Fallout 3 for example) until forced off via control panel. I eventually just globally forced it off, and have been happy since. I don't notice any tearing at all. You get used to it.

9. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    Gee thanks Captain obvious! "they aren't working as hard hence the lower temps"

Yea thanks I just started building PC's today thank god you are here to help:banana:

10. Quixz

Quixz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 3080TI
    I can't stand screen tearing, the only game i can play without V sync is Quakelive, for some reason with this game i can't see any tearing even though it's running at 120fps!

11. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Well that explains it then! :stewpid:

zomg sarcasm? ohnos

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yep, since Fermi I've always used vsync, and thats simply to keep temps down. I had found that even old games can heat up my 470 when FPS is uncapped.

13. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    Yes that would be sarcasm. Sorry Mate!

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Sounds like you played WoW with an HD4850 after the "Burning Crusade" expansion pack.... Framerate made zero difference for me....had problems with tearing and corruption whether it was at 30fps or 300fps....

That happens when you use a toaster oven for a graphics card =X

15. Nerdness

Nerdness Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 4GB SC SLI
    Nope, triple buffering is all I need. I get minimal tearing with that enabled.

16. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    Triple Buffering is pointless without vsync turned on.

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I used It with triple buffering forced thru D3D override, I dont like seeing graphics tearing is why I use it, And Forced TB get rid of the cons of Vsync usage.

18. Nerdness

Nerdness Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 4GB SC SLI
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794/1

Read it

NOTE: D3DOverrider is needed and works for me. I definitely tell a visual difference with it on versus off with VSync disabled (and I'm running between 150-200FPS in COD:BO).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Without vsync you get tearing.
    With vsync you dont.

Without vsync you get full framerate.
    With vsync framerate gets cut in half if vsync cannot be reached.

To get round the problems with vsync halving the framerate, buffers are used so that the GPU can keep on rendering frames while displaying another frame.
    These are double and triple buffering.

So without vsync, there is no need for triple buffering because with no vsync the GPU doesnt ever have to wait, it throws out frames as fast as it can.

Triple buffering is for use with vsync.

20. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    What brand of monitors do you have to use to get the tearing? I never get that on my Samsung no matter what I do. It seems like if you have certain brands of monitors then you'll hafta use vsync to be happy with em.